Connor Wickham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Connor Wickham

I’d put him in the same bracket as Lyle Taylor. Was a good player a few years ago and his experience would be useful, but there must be a reason why he doesn’t have a club now so offer a short term deal only

That would be interesting if true. Clearly has a streak of quality about him, but also seems to be injury prone and not particularly mobile. I don't think FGR fans were too gutted to lose him last year. If this has legs, though, it suggests that we're in the shit with our injuries and not expecting many of them back before season's end. I'm all in favour of any half-decent up front reinforcements we can find at this point. Can't be worse than Bonne can he?
Not a high bar admittedly…but we could, and have, proven that you can do far worse than Bonne.

Someone like Wickham who has made as many appearances this season as Michael Jackson in particular.

I`ve repeatedly mentioned Wickham as a potential "Gill" for more than a year now - since he left Forrest Green. He`s a big, quality forward and, potentially, an upgrade to our front line. I hope he joins us, but am also conscious that he`s had a chequered fitness history, hasn`t played (competitively at EFL) for more than a year now and also that there doesn`t seem to have been a long queue for his services - maybe he`s too expensive - apparently used to a high wage.

However, all that aside, as shotshy implies, if he can get relatively up to speed, Wickham has enough quality to make an impact - even as a half-hour sub.

Sounds positive, hope it comes off.

I started writing a post saying ‘no thanks’ but even if he was just to come on for the final 15 minutes that would benefit us because a) Hawkins is normally fucked by then and b) Hawkins can start the next game a bit fresher for having a rest.

With 16 games left to play we need someone to hit the ground running whether that’s as a starter or to make 15 min cameos.

If the coaching staff see him in training and think he can do that based on his current level of fitness/sharpness then we’ll just have to trust their judgement.

If the coaching staff see him in training and think he can do that based on his current level of fitness/sharpness then we’ll just have to trust their judgement.
Good point. I wonder if we plan to ask him to train and maybe play a low key practice game, much like a triallist, before committing to a short term contract, with a full contract maybe on offer for next season IF he stays fit and impresses?

Something maybe he would accept as he has been struggling to find a club.

I think we should sign him and play Hawkins, Wickham and Andrews across a narrow front 3.

:)

In all seriousness, if it's P2Play until the end of the season, we have a space and we need the cover, it's a no brainer.

Good point. I wonder if we plan to ask him to train and maybe play a low key practice game, much like a triallist, before committing to a short term contract, with a full contract maybe on offer for next season IF he stays fit and impresses?

Something maybe he would accept as he has been struggling to find a club.

Any club offering a free agent player a contract without seeing them in action to some extent needs their head checking.

I started writing a post saying ‘no thanks’ but even if he was just to come on for the final 15 minutes that would benefit us because a) Hawkins is normally fucked by then and b) Hawkins can start the next game a bit fresher for having a rest.

With 16 games left to play we need someone to hit the ground running whether that’s as a starter or to make 15 min cameos.

I think this would be a risk not worth taking.

Why?

a. The player is obviously unemployed for a reason or somebody else would have signed him.

b. Our ability to spot "talent" is/has been somewhat limited. The signings in summer 2023 and Jan 2024 have been nearly all poor but nobody has been held accountable - bar Harris.

b. Our ability to spot "talent" is/has been somewhat limited. The signings in summer 2023 and Jan 2024 have been nearly all poor but nobody has been held accountable - bar Harris.

Who out of Jonny Williams, Scott Malone, Clark, Mahoney, Masterson, Hutton and Ogie are poor?

Granted Bonne and Walker haven’t pulled up any trees. And Hurtado & Andrews have been injured. But those above are/were top quality signings. Even if a couple haven’t delivered fully they are still the better players in our team.

Why?

a. The player is obviously unemployed for a reason or somebody else would have signed him.

A pay-per-game would cost nothing if he's rubbish. Where's the downside? (As long as he wasn't negative in dressing room)

but am also conscious that he`s had a chequered fitness history, hasn`t played (competitively at EFL) for more than a year now and

He played 12 games in the 2nd half of last season in the Championship for Cardiff. Started games in April and May. So it’s only 9 months, not over a year.

Would be nice if he’s kept himself in better shape than Bonne did, and is “fit” even if not “match fit”.

Added - checking soccerbase, he must have had numerous long term injuries through his career. When he’s actually been on the pitch regularly, he’s scored consistently for FGR, Ipswich, Palace and Sheff Wed. And Sunderland paid £8mill for him in 2015! Wow.

Last edited:
Who out of Jonny Williams, Scott Malone, Clark, Mahoney, Masterson, Hutton and Ogie are poor?

Granted Bonne and Walker haven’t pulled up any trees. And Hurtado & Andrews have been injured. But those above are/were top quality signings. Even if a couple haven’t delivered fully they are still the better players in our team.
Williams - not delivered.
Malone - i'm 50/50
Masterson - hit.
Mahoney - not delivered
Ogie - ups and downs
Hutton - hit