Confirmation of why control is sometimes needed - n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

Confirmation of why control is sometimes needed - n/g

Its all entwined and complicated Tarian.

I think you are right that more people will work from home so office rents might reduce but that will impact people pension funds that are invested in them

Less commutes are great for commuters but this involved in services e.g. hospitality, office cleaners and taxi drivers might not agree.

Its a complex system of systems
I was wondering about train companies the other day. The "rush hour" trains from Fenchurch Street are still virtually empty. Not sure how much longer C2C can survive that.
Also, my stepson runs his own company that refurbs office space. He's been busy during lockdown but one office building he did recently will remain empty as all of the staff are going to remain working from home permanently.
The rent for this building is normally £3m pa 😳

Do you also propose that the Brits working abroad should return home ? Just wondered if it was only one way migration you were opposed to.

Incidentally yesterday I went to my Iranian owned dentist surgery to see the Polish hygienist. Make sure you have a steady line of UK qualified dentists to replace them and make sure they will work on the NHS and not just do private

Good question. It really sums up the difference between controlling immigration, which is the best approach, and ending immigration which would be madness and something no one is proposing.

I think statistically there are far less Brits working in minimum wage type roles abroad but it is inevitable that unemployment will surge in all EU countries so a certain amount will return as we are no longer in the single market, which is only fair.

On the dentist front, I have never been quite sure why so many people that are in well paid work think that they should automatically seek an NHS dentist. I find that the NHS dentists are usually the most newly qualified and therefore the least experienced, plus they move on after 1-2 years so there is no continuity and there are still charges to pay, even if they are a bit lower.

When I went to live in the States in '81 they had a system whereby they would each month issue a list to their overseas embassies regarding visa applications for would be immigrants.
Top of the list would be doctors, scientists , dentists, nurses gradually filtering down to less glamorous positions.
An embassy would more or less grant an immediate working visa to a doctor but for a used car salesman it could mean a long wait, three years plus (if ever).
On the other hand they also relied heavily on the souls coming across the border from Mexico to harvest the crops, the illegals.

I agree Nobby and the whole points based system is perfect for the high end jobs. Many migrants pick up the low end jobs that UK citizens historically have not wanted to do, due to the poor pay, poor hours or its really hard work.

Maybe the post COVID Brits will be different and pick up the fieldwork, social care work and amazon delivery driver work.

Maybe they always have been willing to do that sort of work providing they are offered the living wage/minimum wage and are treated humanely and sympathetically, with loyalty rewarded.

Unfortunately, often undercover research has shown that unscrupulous employers get round the current system by recruiting batches of EU immigrants in preference to domestic ones and then making all sorts of deductions from their minimum wage, like "rent" for barely habitable Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs). Meanwhile, UK applicants rarely even get the courtesy of an acknowledgement to their applications.

I was wondering about train companies the other day. The "rush hour" trains from Fenchurch Street are still virtually empty. Not sure how much longer C2C can survive that.
Also, my stepson runs his own company that refurbs office space. He's been busy during lockdown but one office building he did recently will remain empty as all of the staff are going to remain working from home permanently.

The government took over the train operating companies at the start of the pandemic, so they are not losing money. According to the RMT, they will make £500M, as the government will help them for 12 months. The rail companies want this extended to 18 months. C2C will be fine!

The government took over the train operating companies at the start of the pandemic, so they are not losing money. According to the RMT, they will make £500M, as the government will help them for 12 months. The rail companies want this extended to 18 months. C2C will be fine!
How dare you write a post that isn't slagging off the government, didn't you know they can't do anything right. :grinning:

Delivered to a company who have a building on Bishopsgate on Friday where another company within the building who has seven floors have told all their staff to work from home until January (it'll be reviewed then) and they doubt even half the staff over those seven floors will ever return to the office.

Not sure what the cost of office space on Bishopsgate would be but I'd imagine f'in a lot.

Do you also propose that the Brits working abroad should return home ? Just wondered if it was only one way migration you were opposed to.

Incidentally yesterday I went to my Iranian owned dentist surgery to see the Polish hygienist. Make sure you have a steady line of UK qualified dentists to replace them and make sure they will work on the NHS and not just do private

I`ve always been confused by the apparent lack of people wanting to pursue a career in dentistry. It can be a very, very well paid enterprise and there`s rarely a lack of "customers".

Delivered to a company who have a building on Bishopsgate on Friday where another company within the building who has seven floors have told all their staff to work from home until January (it'll be reviewed then) and they doubt even half the staff over those seven floors will ever return to the office.

Not sure what the cost of office space on Bishopsgate would be but I'd imagine f'in a lot.
Yeah, that's where my stepson has been working. The building manager reckons £1m per year per floor and it was a three floor building, lot of dosh to lose 😳
He said the refurb has to go ahead in case they manage to rent it out again and no one will take up office space these days unless its "like new".

Ah, i knew they were getting help but didn't know it was to that extent.
They would have gone under without it, I normally get the train at about 6.20pm and it's usually absolutely rammed. I'm still getting a whole carriage to myself most days.

I`ve always been confused by the apparent lack of people wanting to pursue a career in dentistry. It can be a very, very well paid enterprise and there`s rarely a lack of "customers".

My father in law was a dentist, made a very good living from it but as he said when he retired you get sick of looking at other peoples teeth all day. Definitly not a job for me.

Ah, i knew they were getting help but didn't know it was to that extent.
They would have gone under without it, I normally get the train at about 6.20pm and it's usually absolutely rammed. I'm still getting a whole carriage to myself most days.

They won't let any train companies go under... Now's the time to nationalise the railway!
Maybe may off the curry, the other passengers are telling you something 🤪