Confirmation of why control is sometimes needed - n/g | Vital Football

Confirmation of why control is sometimes needed - n/g

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
My opposition to complete freedom of movement and an "open door policy" at all times is well documented.

I appreciate that the effects Covid is currently the reason but if ever there was evidence that a country should have some form of immigration control in the interest of its own citizens it is now, when so many are likely to face unemployment and domestic competition for jobs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53528653

I’ve been keeping a close eye on what is going on in Malta as I have many friends there, both Maltese and U.K.
The government has appealed for the foreigners, mainly Eastern European working in hospitality to go home. Their benefits system is pretty sparse and very time limited.
No one is quite sure what is going to happen if they stay with very few tourists.

How many will apply for the care home jobs, the seasonal agricultural stuff? How many will stick it out even if they land the job? Will employers want them? There will be huge disruption in the economy and the jobs market but we will be receiving large numbers of migrants by hook or by crook soon enough.

My opposition to complete freedom of movement and an "open door policy" at all times is well documented.

I appreciate that the effects Covid is currently the reason but if ever there was evidence that a country should have some form of immigration control in the interest of its own citizens it is now, when so many are likely to face unemployment and domestic competition for jobs:

Do you also propose that the Brits working abroad should return home ? Just wondered if it was only one way migration you were opposed to.

Incidentally yesterday I went to my Iranian owned dentist surgery to see the Polish hygienist. Make sure you have a steady line of UK qualified dentists to replace them and make sure they will work on the NHS and not just do private

Do you also propose that the Brits working abroad should return home ? Just wondered if it was only one way migration you were opposed to.

Incidentally yesterday I went to my Iranian owned dentist surgery to see the Polish hygienist. Make sure you have a steady line of UK qualified dentists to replace them and make sure they will work on the NHS and not just do private
To be fair to GBN, he did use the word "control" after the word "immigration". Many of the countries where Brits go to work have controlled immigration where we can only go to live there if we fulfil certain criteria. (can we sustain ourselves financially, for example)
Surely it makes solid economic sense to only let enough people in to fill the jobs/homes/school places that are avaliable?
A "points basis" for immigration could be fluid to reflect the current needs of the country and needn't hinder those who wish to enter for asylum.

I agree Nobby and the whole points based system is perfect for the high end jobs. Many migrants pick up the low end jobs that UK citizens historically have not wanted to do, due to the poor pay, poor hours or its really hard work.

Maybe the post COVID Brits will be different and pick up the fieldwork, social care work and amazon delivery driver work.

I agree Nobby and the whole points based system is perfect for the high end jobs. Many migrants pick up the low end jobs that UK citizens historically have not wanted to do, due to the poor pay, poor hours or its really hard work.

Maybe the post COVID Brits will be different and pick up the fieldwork, social care work and amazon delivery driver work.
Improve the pay and conditions and people will do it.
Exploitation of anyone is wrong.
British people are no different to any others.
If the jobs a good one, there would be plenty of candidates.
If a business cannot pay the going rate then they shouldn’t be in business.
Europe has got fat on exploitation of the poorest.
Every country looks downward.
Even Poland bring in cheap labour from Ukraine to do the crap jobs that Poles won’t do because millions are in Germany and the U.K. doing the crap jobs that we won’t dio.
It’s a race to the bottom buoyed by globalisation.

Improve the pay and conditions and people will do it.
Exploitation of anyone is wrong.
British people are no different to any others.
If the jobs a good one, there would be plenty of candidates.
If a business cannot pay the going rate then they shouldn’t be in business.
Europe has got fat on exploitation of the poorest.
Every country looks downward.
Even Poland bring in cheap labour from Ukraine to do the crap jobs that Poles won’t do because millions are in Germany and the U.K. doing the crap jobs that we won’t dio.
It’s a race to the bottom buoyed by globalisation.

All very true - just as long as everyone is happy to pay more for the products and services. If the hourly rate for the tasks goes up then expect it be passed onto the consumer. We can't have it both ways.

All very true - just as long as everyone is happy to pay more for the products and services. If the hourly rate for the tasks goes up then expect it be passed onto the consumer. We can't have it both ways.
Most don’t want it both ways Mark.
I’m sure you don’t.
When people expect free delivery on stuff they buy on line, they must know people are being exploited to do it.
The west gorges on exploitation of the poor.
Think about when you buy a bunch of bananas from Aldi.
50p a bunch
That’s grown, picked, flown, moved by road and sold for 50p with everyone taking their cut.
How much did the picker get in South America?
Eff all I’d say.
That’s the wonders of globalisation.

Most don’t want it both ways Mark.
I’m sure you don’t.
When people expect free delivery on stuff they buy on line, they must know people are being exploited to do it.
The west gorges on exploitation of the poor.
Think about when you buy a bunch of bananas from Aldi.
50p a bunch
That’s grown, picked, flown, moved by road and sold for 50p with everyone taking their cut.
How much did the picker get in South America?
Eff all I’d say.
That’s the wonders of globalisation.

People can already choose to pay a bit more through things like "fair trade" or if you really want to help the people at the bottom of the chain take a look at my favourite charity -https://lendwithcare.org/info/how-it-works

People can also shop with independents rather than chains but generally costs a little more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53528653
Can anyone explain the opposition by some to:
a) controlling immigration
b) talking about controlling immigration.

Thanks

Actually we might be able to "have it both ways".
i.e. if the cost of Housing stabilised - and maybe reduced versus other costs, people would be better off - even without a pay rise.
(As we've seen with Covid - and Commuters saving on fares.)

By how much has the cost of housing increased since the mass immigration from 2004 ?
Certainly more than Retail Prices. Probably double in or near London

In Outer London, rents are about £2,000 per year higher than they should be.
In Inner London more.
Even away from London, people are probably paying £1,000 p.a. more than they should be.

And there could be a "Covid Dividend" as office rents reduce, now that businesses have found that more people can work from home.

In short, we may not have to "pay more for the products and services" - but still benefit if housing costs reduce.

(But this potentially positive trade-off won't occur if immigration remains high)

Its all entwined and complicated Tarian.

I think you are right that more people will work from home so office rents might reduce but that will impact people pension funds that are invested in them

Less commutes are great for commuters but this involved in services e.g. hospitality, office cleaners and taxi drivers might not agree.

Its a complex system of systems

Absolutely agree and again, I don't disagree that we as a country need that help from abroad but thats where I think we could be a bit smart and make our control system a bit less rigid. That would allow for greater numbers to be allowed in as and when required. There will always be numbers wanting to come to better their life but we could allow more in when needed but put the brakes on at times like now when there are less jobs available.
It would require fine balancing but I think could work.