Confessions of prejudice | Page 6 | Vital Football

Confessions of prejudice

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
The link dosnt really cover social decline, its more political based on who claims benefits and how many immigrants are in the country. As for lower crime since 2006, sounds like they have cherry picked one particular year when it was rather high and then just thrown last years figures against it. I would also guess that many crimes go unreported because people cant be bothered with the hassle.

Maybe what I have brought up dosnt have any effect on society at all? Maybe it does? But not just a decline socially, we have the decline in family values too. Since women have become more independent towards providing financially for the family, along with the male, we have also seen an increase(in the last 50 years, it will have levelled out since) in divorce and marital break ups. The pressures of money on the family have increased tensions - within the said family and also could play a part in the rising behaviour problems we are experiencing in children.

I'm prejudice against soul-less, corrupt, immoral **** football agents!

I prefer to think of Divorce as a good thing. Imagine all those unhappy marriages for previous generations. Forced to stay with someone you don't love, just because it was frowned upon to divorce.

Women deserve equal rights, and quite rightly get them here. If you can't deal with that, then might I suggest you move to a Muslim Country? Your views will be much more appreciated there.

Green Tea - 9/7/2013 21:58

The link dosnt really cover social decline, its more political based on who claims benefits and how many immigrants are in the country. As for lower crime since 2006, sounds like they have cherry picked one particular year when it was rather high and then just thrown last years figures against it. I would also guess that many crimes go unreported because people cant be bothered with the hassle.

Maybe what I have brought up dosnt have any effect on society at all? Maybe it does? But not just a decline socially, we have the decline in family values too. Since women have become more independent towards providing financially for the family, along with the male, we have also seen an increase(in the last 50 years, it will have levelled out since) in divorce and marital break ups. The pressures of money on the family have increased tensions - within the said family and also could play a part in the rising behaviour problems we are experiencing in children.

The link proves that doomsday claims based on what's read in the Daily Fail and often completely misrepresents the actual truth of the matter.

Such as the decline in values, or family values and you still haven't addressed the point about agreeing with me, you just haven't realised it.

You point to the breakdown of marriage, what's more harmful two loving happy parents living apart, or two parents full of resentment?

That's not a decline in values, that's a removal of the dogma that in the eyes of God a youthful mistake must haunt you forever and you must be punished for it. These days we allow people to make fresh starts.

Crime has becoming down for many years, but the reporting ON crime and campaigns go up every year. They don't need to cherry pick.

Estimates of unreported crime rarely ever fluctuate, but again you wouldn't get that from the press especially if they have a campaign on.

Children aren't experiencing rising behaviour problems. They are children, it's what children have always done, it's what teenagers have always done and it's what young adults have always done.

Just because you didn't get it on your twitter feed or thrown at you 24 hours by Sky news back in the 40's or 50's doesn't make it a recent invention 'tied' to women working PMSL

Because you aren't really arguing morals went out the window and society declined because women fought for the war effort are you?

Just curious, what do you class as being in poverty? Being unable to put enough food on the table or not having a Wii or a PS2?

mike_field - 10/7/2013 00:02

Just because you didn't get it on your twitter feed or thrown at you 24 hours by Sky news back in the 40's or 50's doesn't make it a recent invention 'tied' to women working PMSL

Actually, people should check out crime rates during the good old days, in particular 1939-45, when we were all together as one apparently.

Bad set of years for a locksmith, what with all those open windows and doors when people slept. Locks just weren't needed. Must have been amazing.

How incredibly ironic, over six pages of replies and, from what I can see, I'm the only person, the first poster mind, that has actually confessed to any real form of prejudice (and no, a dislike for something is not a prejudice, I don't like some foods but I'm not prejudice, I have no problems with others eating them or them being around, I just don't like how they taste)

It seems my fellow vital Villans are either incredibly enlightened (really?) or either lack the courage or the self insight to confess them on here.

Personally I believe it's a lack of self insight, people really don't like to admit things about themselves that might be seen as worthy of criticism.

Enjoying your self righteous indignation, Ian?

I truly don't believe I have any prejudice. Do I dislike, or even hate some people? You bet ya. Do I hate a whole group? Not in a Million years.

It's the person that counts, not their colour, creed or inclination.

Just yesterday I was told I saw too much good in people, and that it was a bad thing. Well, I think I'll carry on, as it suits me.

I must be the only bigot on here then. I don't believe that for a second though.

It must be nice to be so perfect. It's a little humbling for me though, being the only one who is not devoid of prejudice.

Villan Of The North - 10/7/2013 18:12

I must be the only bigot on here then. I don't believe that for a second though.

It must be nice to be so perfect. It's a little humbling for me though, being the only one who is not devoid of prejudice.

I am truly surprised by this, if it helps. I would have thought that a follower of Christ would have accepted everybody for who they are? Surely, He would have been more tolerant, and yet you aren't?

People can be dickheads, but not whole communities. I don't actually believe you are a racist, and if you are homophobic, then I bet you know some Gays without hating them.

Do you think your Religion gives you these prejudices?

When I say I have prejudices I mean that my initial reaction to people is, on occasion, influenced by their "grouping" Generally my reasoning will overcome this but surely this is the essence of prejudice ( pre judging ) and I believe that, to some extent, we all do this. And it's not necessarily a negative thing either, for example, all Italians are good cooks - now while logic dictates that this can't be true, I suspect that a greater percentage of Italians are good cooks than Brits. Even if I'm wrong, it's a fairly innocuous prejudice.

Am I homophobic? As said, I have no problems with homosexuals (I dislike the term gay, it's a word that's just been hi-jacked and I rather like the original use of the word) but I don't like to see them making public displays of affection. I don't know why, I just feel uncomfortable with it. What they do in private is another matter......go for it as far as I'm concerned......consenting adults and all that.

As for my religion, no I do't think that it has made me feel this way, I was pretty much the same long before I ever considered any form of faith ( I came to the church as a 26 year old)

Regarding tolerating people, I do but I don't have to like what people do. If we take the argument of God and him loving all his children, well yes but it doesn't mean that he has to like their actions. I love my kids, unconditionally, but I don't like everything they do. Accepting is not the same as approving.

Being a racist. I don't really consider myself to be one but I do acknowledge that, from time to time, I find myself using stereotypes to make judgements. I believe this to be necessary when judgements are made and not all facts are available ( are they ever?) but I acknowledge that it is a form of racial prejudice.

Out of interest, try starting a thread on hear about immigration. I think you will find the prejudices and even bigotry show themselves then.

See, I knew it.

Prejudice is an attitude toward the members of some group based solely on their membership in that group (positive or negative). You're not doing that. Your attitude is different to your initial reaction.

What you are talking about is discrimination.

I've seen the comments on immigration, and I am saddened by it. I bet most people know a few Immigrants, and don't even know it. There are a few here that need to stop reading the Daily Mail.

Am I discriminating? I don't think so as my reason overrules my reaction, but I'm still having the reaction. I'd say I'm prejudging.

Regarding the immigration topic.....apparently no one on here is prejudice towards immigrants.

I say this as an immigrant myself who has experienced prejudice. For example, English speakers are notorious for not learning Norwegian, either at all or to a good level. This is because it' not necessary as enough people here speak English. However, I know for a fact that my job applications have been "downgraded" because people assume I can't speak the language. You wouldn't believe the number of times people have expressed how good I am at speaking the language and how surprised they are. I've lived here for 14 fecking years, of course I can speak the language, pretty darn fluently. I know they mean it as a compliment but I'm an intelligent man who has lived in the country for over a 3rd of my life, frankly it's insulting to doubt my ability.

Green Tea - 7/7/2013 11:55

Everyone should be entitled to a life - but some people have to shout their life onto others. This is my prejudice.

Everyone?

As for public shows of affection, I have no problem with that, I find it nice to witness happiness, I fail to understand those offended by it! I suppose some may just be jealous that they lack such affection in their own lives, some do obviously set out to shock, but these are fed by the reactions they get, if ignored they wouldn't bother.

The Fear - 7/7/2013 22:14

I judge people who judge people.

Apart from judges, they are paid to judge and so I don't judge them and I hope not to have to be judged.

More should be judging the Judges, maybe the Judges judgements would be less judgemental on appearance and class and more based on evidence.

A public show of affection? Or pushing your ideals, values, way of life onto others?

Do the Orange men marching in NI do it to show public affection?

Gay pride march in busy city centres, a public show of affection?

I see groups of people imposing their own views/lifestyles(which I agree they can have) onto others through a public showing. Neither are actually protesting for anything, yet are marching because they know there is a public divide of some sort.

Would you be equally ok with a march "anti gay" pride? Are you ok with the EDL? Or the British National Front? Can they march without anyone on here showing any prejudice? If not, are you prejudice towards them? A march is march isnt it? Who is the judgh of what march is good, bad or ugly?

I dont like anyone imposing their life onto mine, or affecting my way of life by getting in the way. I should be able to go to a city centre without Orange men, Gay pride, EDL, National Front, Muslims are us, IRA we hate the Brits, or whatever other group we have out there getting in the way of my life..

By all means if you want to be gay, orange, muslim, racist etc go ahead - its your one and only life and you are entitled to your thoughts and views....Just keep them away from my views and I will in turn- return the favour!

Like I said before, nobody in my private life outside my family know im religious.

Green Tea - 10/7/2013 20:41

By all means if you want to be gay, orange, muslim, racist etc go ahead - its your one and only life and you are entitled to your thoughts and views....Just keep them away from my views and I will in turn- return the favour!

Not if you're a Hindu or Buddhist it's not :14:

Green Tea - 10/7/2013 19:41

A public show of affection? Or pushing your ideals, values, way of life onto others?

Do the Orange men marching in NI do it to show public affection?

Gay pride march in busy city centres, a public show of affection?

I see groups of people imposing their own views/lifestyles(which I agree they can have) onto others through a public showing. Neither are actually protesting for anything, yet are marching because they know there is a public divide of some sort.

Would you be equally ok with a march "anti gay" pride? Are you ok with the EDL? Or the British National Front? Can they march without anyone on here showing any prejudice? If not, are you prejudice towards them? A march is march isnt it? Who is the judgh of what march is good, bad or ugly?

I dont like anyone imposing their life onto mine, or affecting my way of life by getting in the way. I should be able to go to a city centre without Orange men, Gay pride, EDL, National Front, Muslims are us, IRA we hate the Brits, or whatever other group we have out there getting in the way of my life..

Like I said before, nobody in my private life outside my family know im religious.

So, basically, you want to ban marching. I can live with that. Those marching Bands are annoying anyway. Twirling their bloody batons in public. How dare they!!!