Colin Bell 1946-2021 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Colin Bell 1946-2021

I've only just found out.

My first words on reading the news was "Oh no, oh no".

This is a day, apart from the loss of family, that I've been dreading, and now it's come to pass.

No one will ever change my mind that he is City's greatest.

Well before his time in terms of Football just a sheer joy to watch him play, his name though will live on forever in the hearts of all City fans, but especially those fans who were around in his playing days.

I wrote this in May 2013 for Simon Curtis @bifana_bifana

200 Wordsworth number 6.

Colin Bell was the finest player I’ve seen; my first, and only, football hero.

It helped that, when I was a child, he lived in lodgings in the next street; this was before his marriage, and he had started his restaurant business, as players did in those days, for his retirement.

It was not unusual to see Bell walk to his business at night time, and to be acknowledged by us local kids; even in those days, all you received back was a muffled hello, as he moved swiftly on. It’s fair to say he didn’t like the limelight, and let his football do the talking.

You can compare Yaya Toure to Bell. Although their all round games are similar, Bell shades it, as his running game and stamina are superior, together with his ability in the air. I think he had a more powerful shot too; in the mid 1970s, his shot was timed at 61mph.

His manager, however, thought that City had a greater player….Peter Doherty, the star of our first champion side. Comparisons were always made between the two, and, indeed, Bell’s one time business partner was Paul Doherty, Peter’s son, which made a very neat link.

Remembering a true Manchester City legend: in every sense of the word...

MENS TEAM
Tributes flood in for Colin The King

Colin Bell made 501 appearances for City during a 13-year stay with the Club and scored 153 goals.
He was also capped 48 times by England – his appearances for both club and country would have been far higher but for a devastating knee injury he suffered in 1975.
Few would argue that alongside today’s modern-day legends, Bell is regarded as one - if not the -greatest player the Manchester City has ever had - and with good reason.
City won the league title for the first time in 31 years with Bell inspirational throughout the campaign. He was here, there and literally everywhere and the fans loved his incredible athleticism and seemingly limitless stamina and in a team of winners, he was an easy choice for the 1967/68 Manchester City Player of the Year.
He was the beating heart of the team and along with Lee and Mike Summerbee, formed the legendary ‘Holy Trinity’ of players who would inspire the club to as yet uncharted heights.
Bell also won his first England cap in 1968 – the first of 48, which for several decades, was a club record.
Rest in peace, Colin the King...

Long live The King (mancity.com) (link to OS)

just a short film but just a little insight as to how good he was, I hope they do a longer piece soon

What a lovely heartfelt tribute :clap: The moment where he describes visiting Colin at his home when writing the book and is in awe that his hero should be so humble as to make him a sandwich and a cup of tea is very moving. Well said Mr Cheeseman, well said.

This was shown on the BBC's 'Football Focus' from the start of the programme this Saturday gone, the 9th.
The programme in full is available on the iPlayer for 30 days, I think, and it finished with a feature on the 1896 cup.

Watch this clip now, or as soon as you can, because, from my experience, the BBC are quick to block anything they produce for copyright reasons, which is fair enough, I suppose.

It really is beautiful and touching.

This was shown on the BBC's 'Football Focus' from the start of the programme this Saturday gone, the 9th.
The programme in full is available on the iPlayer for 30 days, I think, and it finished with a feature on the 1896 cup.

Watch this clip now, or as soon as you can, because, from my experience, the BBC are quick to block anything they produce for copyright reasons, which is fair enough, I suppose.

It really is beautiful and touching.

Thanks Col, that was lovely.
I’ve managed to save it to my ipad but, as you say, whether or not I can keep it remains to be seen.
👍