Club Finances released | Vital Football

Club Finances released

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
The club has released the financial info from last season.

Main figures of interest
£9.2m Net loss
£11.5m turnover
£19.4m wage bill
£7m players sales
£7.1m players bought

That was about the best case scenario i was expecting to be honest - I worried the loses could've been a few million higher. Just goes to show how important player sales are for any club to keep in the black and how vital it is we get that £10m in the bank for Robinson is possible, as we've spent 8m+ in the summer and brough in probably less than £1m in sales. I imagine the wage bill is in the same ball park, so without the Robinson sale we could be looking at loses of closer to £17m for this season which immedietely puts us at risk of violating FFP.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020...al-results-for-the-period-ended-30-June-2019/

For the period ended 30 June 2019 ?

So does this include the summer (July & August) purchase cost of Moore , Lowe , Jedi etc..?

Looks like the owners plans to produce and then sell our own players is the only way forward! Income from ticket sales is quite paltry and we need a "Production Line" of youngsters to survive!

This annual loss is pretty apparent for not just us but a lot of clubs in this division, to even compete you need to invest more than you get back, for us, getting in young players and making a profit is the only way to keep the club afloat in this division. Sad times for football when the sole purpose to get to the prem is for the money.

Lucky we seem to have one... !
Issue is to maximise value they need to be playing in the first team 🤔

Genuine question Hampton, assuming we stay up this season (big assumption I know) would you accept next year giving significant game time to some of our promising youngsters, in an effort to maximise their value, if it resulted in us being relegated but potentially safeguarded the future of the club by generating much needed transfer revenue ?

Our business model is no different to what it was in the Prem, but instead of us buying untapped potential or cast offs then selling on for a significant profit we are growing our own.

We have never generated enough income to make ends meet. In the Prem 90% of our TV money went on wages alone which is why we needed to sell a Moses, N’Zogbia and Valencia pretty much every year. Our situation is no different. I just hope we get the chance to see what Joffy can do next year given more game time. But I imagine if we got decent offers for Williams or Morsy we might start to see the likes of Weir given more of a chance in the first team squad next year. Moore could also go if he has a decent Euros

We talk about youngsters, but as Brentford and Peterborough show it can also be very lucrative to find gems on the cheap. Easier said than done of course but we will probably be looking to compliment our youth development with good scouting of lower leagues, non league and outside of England.

Pearce at 270k, Williams at 1m, Robinson at 2m for their age and potential were no brainers when it was apparent they was available at those fees, while Lowe and Moore at their age for between 2-3m were obviously a much bigger gambles. I imagine in the summer any funds spent will be more on cheaper, younger, safer bets, so we'll prob not be looking at the lads ripping up trees at the top of the division below and more of the young players still establishing themselves.

That loss is chump change compared to how bad it will be next year.

I’m not too worried though providing we don’t get relegated, because we have sellable assets that will see us make our losses back. Gelhardt for example should be a 20 million pound player this time next year if we’re in the Championship and he’s playing every week. Then you’ve got Robinson who we’ll flog in the summer for hopefully the same amount we were going to get in January. Kieffer Moore will also be worth a lot of money post Euros.

Genuine question Hampton, assuming we stay up this season (big assumption I know) would you accept next year giving significant game time to some of our promising youngsters, in an effort to maximise their value, if it resulted in us being relegated but potentially safeguarded the future of the club by generating much needed transfer revenue ?
Don't believe it has to be either or Arthur a blend of experienced championship players and our own young uns would more than keep us up.
It's what we should have done this year.
Unfortunately we bought L1 players in the main and loaned in kids from others to fill the gaps (not that they play either mind).
Wrong on both counts IMO

Don't believe it has to be either or Arthur a blend of experienced championship players and our own young uns would more than keep us up.
Unfortunately we bought L1 players in the main and loaned in kids from others to fill the gaps (not that they play either mind).
Wrong on both counts IMO
The club that is not you pal 😉

Wrong on both counts IMO

You didn't answer my question though Hampton, I agree it doesn't have to be either or, but IF the situation panned out that we were looking relegation certainties whilst playing the youngsters would you back the club anyway and accept our fate or would you be outspoken in your criticism of team selection, manager or club (which is your right by the way, I'm not criticising you).

The owners are a generous bunch, lets hope it stays that way. With the bloke owning us in reality unable to get here because of his fear of flying, for him its either a very bad investment of a passion project (or ego).

Last edited:
I still say Whelan sold us out, no one will ever change my my mind on that, as far as football finances are concerned these men haven't got a pot to piss in!

I still say Whelan sold us out, no one will ever change my my mind on that, as far as football finances are concerned these men haven't got a pot to piss in!

That's an interesting point Norm, bro. My opinion differs to yours, but I can see why you might feel the way you do.

A few considerations:

- there's little question Whelan saved us from probably going under
- there's no question that we wouldn't have seen the Premier League, reached the League Cup final, won the FA Cup, and got into Europe without his "support"
- it was understandable that he thought it was time to go
- at worst, he left us as a yoyo club between Championship & League 1
- he sold the club to new owners who appear to be still funding the losses, with a plan (however fanciful) for the future

I have no problem with you thinking that any of the above equates to DW having "sold us out", and to be honest, if you say that no one will ever change your mind, then I guess there's little point trying to.

It doesn't mean you're right though.

Some folk think the earth is still flat.
:rolleyes:

Last edited: