Clive, counting the cost of going up. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Clive, counting the cost of going up.

I think the Liam comment on the radio yesterday was very telling "he hopes the club can meet the aspirations of Danny and Nicky".

Next season presents a whole new set of challenges, not least of which is balancing the books as best we can

Interesting comment to make. With Ipswich being relegated, my immediate thought was, would they be tempted to go for them now they are League 1 and would they have the finances that could tempt DC/NC away. We should really be doing everything we can to make sure the journey remains firmly with City. ?

DC in his post match was interesting, amongst other things, ' as long as the Club show shared ambition they will reciprocate' , John Akinde cost the Club £200,000 ( no detail of course how that was made up ).

Interesting comment to make. With Ipswich being relegated, my immediate thought was, would they be tempted to go for them now they are League 1 and would they have the finances that could tempt DC/NC away. We should really be doing everything we can to make sure the journey remains firmly with City. ?

It seems every message-board I look at has someone mentioning the Cowleys. Fortunately Ipswich appear very happy with Paul Lambert so that's one club that won't be enquiring soon.

On finances I know they're probably going to be relegated but Bradford have sold 12,500 season tickets at £150 a time.
Several league one sides have cheaper season tickets than us but is this why they're all skint?

I may have got this completely round my neck, but isn't it - or wasn't it - the practice for clubs to take out insurance to cover paying bonuses if promotion was won?

I seem to vaguely remember the club receiving criticism at one time years ago for NOT having this insurance during a particular season. Perhaps the 1982/83 season, or perhaps not.

DC in his post match was interesting, amongst other things, ' as long as the Club show shared ambition they will reciprocate' , John Akinde cost the Club £200,000 ( no detail of course how that was made up ).

Pertinent comment.

That means we need the new 30,000 stadium asap! Plus a few heavyweight investors.........help?

Clive must be counting the cost of going up, today.

Championship and EFL football is a balancing act, where without massive backing teams can face financial hardship.

Interestingly no mention so far of performance bonuses to clubs and players. I thought Peterborough were due £150,000 and Akinde alone was due a per game promotion bonus plus his goals bonus. (Guess £25,000++) Players, management and staff will get something. And the total figure could be huge.

Do hope this was factored in to the budget by the Finance Committee. Little wonder the early season ticket sales. Trust Clive implicitly, but he is really going to have to control staff costs (players, management and technical) and agreed any bonuses next season. An extra £1million needed? Liam is going to have to work harder than that if we want to be ilooking towards the playoffs.

I think Clive will have already done his counting. The intention this season was promotion, so the costs of promotion being achieved will have been in the boards planning.

You mention payment to Peterborough and bonuses. You have n’t mention the income we will receive if Shrewsbury stay in league 1, Peterborough reach the play offs, Norwich get in the PL and for every goal Ollie Palmer scores. You do n’t mention them because I’ve made them up, but they might be true.

The only people who know are on the board.

The comments from Roger Bates yesterday were that we would have a competitive budget next season.

If we have a competitive budget, we have a good chance of establishing ourselves in league one.

The problems will come from those (and there will be plenty) that imagine we will just carry on never losing a match for months on end.

We are now in as high a league as Lincoln has been for many decades.
Next season will be a test of whether the Lincoln public can get their heads around that and carry on supporting the club in similar numbers to this season when we are in consolidation mode.

It will be a test of managing expectations as has already been mentioned.

There are 68 clubs higher up the football pyramid than us at present.
If we move up to say only 60 above us next season, the logic would say we have had a better season again... but that may be hard to appreciate, as it would mean winning a lot less matches than this year.

If the goal is to reach the championship, which I think it is, it may take a while. Patience will be needed, in a time and sport where patience is counted in days not seasons.

Probably too simplistic but isn’t extending the Selenity either end a bit like adding an extension to your house.
most of us in the senility have no need for extensions as we have large houses which include granny\grandad annexes. We have no objection however to the club increasing capacity at either end of our stand, as long as it does not mean an invasion of noisy Coop oiks who smell of hot pies and burgers.

most of us in the senility have no need for extensions as we have large houses which include granny\grandad annexes. We have no objection however to the club increasing capacity at either end of our stand, as long as it does not mean an invasion of noisy Coop oiks who smell of hot pies and burgers.

Indeed, perhaps your’re sitting in my seat with my name on it. Although I don’t own a house.

I think it grossly unfair that teams in the play-offs and who get to Wembley, get a bigger payout than the team who wins the damned title, finish second or third!

I don't think we need to despair too much?

There's an automatic increase of about £500,000 to the solidarity payment, and our average gate - assuming it stays the same, will mean that we're already quids-in against a lot of other teams in L1? In other words, because of our guaranteed ticket revenue because interest/demand is so high, it means that we're using less of our solidarity payment to cover any shortfall due to empty seats.

The average gate for most of the mid-table teams is lower than 8,237 (Bristol Rovers). Gillingham, Blackpool, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Peterborough, Oxford and even Doncaster are all lower than 8,000 average. Compared to our average of 8,900, that would place us 9th in the L1 attendances table when compared to this seasons teams in L1.

Granted that high attendances don't guarantee finishing position (e.g. Bradford avg. 16,070 and a thing I like to mention regularly to Argyle fans because it winds them up - avg.9,704), the emphasis must be on the quality on the field.

When I've accompanied the brother-in-law at Argyle this year, I've noticed that the quality difference isn't that much higher for mid-table and lower half teams compared to the top of L2. However, the gap between mid-table, the playoffs and automatics are markedly massive. Those teams have forwards that are so clinical in front of goal that they need minimal goalscoring opportunities.

I think we'll hold our own next year. As someone that's watched a few L1 games this year, I'm not worried. Top half is achievable with our current squad - if we keep them together and don't sell our better players...

The board's emphasis will be on boosting income via investment and sponsorship etc because it's that which will place us above mid-table towards paying the bigger wages.

I don't think we need to despair too much?

There's an automatic increase of about £500,000 to the solidarity payment, and our average gate - assuming it stays the same, will mean that we're already quids-in against a lot of other teams in L1? In other words, because of our guaranteed ticket revenue because interest/demand is so high, it means that we're using less of our solidarity payment to cover any shortfall due to empty seats.

The average gate for most of the mid-table teams is lower than 8,237 (Bristol Rovers). Gillingham, Blackpool, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Peterborough, Oxford and even Doncaster are all lower than 8,000 average. Compared to our average of 8,900, that would place us 9th in the L1 attendances table when compared to this seasons teams in L1.

Granted that high attendances don't guarantee finishing position (e.g. Bradford avg. 16,070 and a thing I like to mention regularly to Argyle fans because it winds them up - avg.9,704), the emphasis must be on the quality on the field.

When I've accompanied the brother-in-law at Argyle this year, I've noticed that the quality difference isn't that much higher for mid-table and lower half teams compared to the top of L2. However, the gap between mid-table, the playoffs and automatics are markedly massive. Those teams have forwards that are so clinical in front of goal that they need minimal goalscoring opportunities.

I think we'll hold our own next year. As someone that's watched a few L1 games this year, I'm not worried. Top half is achievable with our current squad - if we keep them together and don't sell our better players...

The board's emphasis will be on boosting income via investment and sponsorship etc because it's that which will place us above mid-table towards paying the bigger wages.

Could not agree more.

In League 1 much is about speed of thought, keeping possession, creating chances, quick shooting and clinical finishing. Our defence should be good enough, no reason to think we shouldn't be in top half providing we keep our better players.

Does anyone know for sure that there is no prize payment for winning the league. I was told from a person allegedly in the know that the champions receive £250k.

Does anyone know for sure that there is no prize payment for winning the league. I was told from a person allegedly in the know that the champions receive £250k.
I thought it'd all change and it was inclusive within the TV deal now. Might be wrong on that.