Clive, counting the cost of going up. | Vital Football

Clive, counting the cost of going up.

berksimps

Vital Football Hero
Clive must be counting the cost of going up, today.

Championship and EFL football is a balancing act, where without massive backing teams can face financial hardship.

Interestingly no mention so far of performance bonuses to clubs and players. I thought Peterborough were due £150,000 and Akinde alone was due a per game promotion bonus plus his goals bonus. (Guess £25,000++) Players, management and staff will get something. And the total figure could be huge.

Do hope this was factored in to the budget by the Finance Committee. Little wonder the early season ticket sales. Trust Clive implicitly, but he is really going to have to control staff costs (players, management and technical) and agreed any bonuses next season. An extra £1million needed? Liam is going to have to work harder than that if we want to be ilooking towards the playoffs.

Clive must be counting the cost of going up, today.

Championship and EFL football is a balancing act, where without massive backing teams can face financial hardship.

Interestingly no mention so far of performance bonuses to clubs and players. I thought Peterborough were due £150,000 and Akinde alone was due a per game promotion bonus plus his goals bonus. (Guess £25,000++) Players, management and staff will get something. And the total figure could be huge.

Do hope this was factored in to the budget by the Finance Committee. Little wonder the early season ticket sales. Trust Clive implicitly, but he is really going to have to control staff costs (players, management and technical) and agreed any bonuses next season. An extra £1million needed? Liam is going to have to work harder than that if we want to be ilooking towards the playoffs.

I think the Liam comment on the radio yesterday was very telling "he hopes the club can meet the aspirations of Danny and Nicky".

Next season presents a whole new set of challenges, not least of which is balancing the books as best we can

There will be some clubs whose budgets will always be way way beyond ours.
But equally there will be plenty in Lge One who we can compete on level terms with.
Think the radio interviews all implied target was to establish ourselves in Lge One and then see how we can kick on further.

Also heard Liam say that no major work on Sincil Bank this summer, just an aim to add maybe 200 more seats.
But he implied that major redevelopment could come along subsequently.
Given the very long timescale for a new stadium, that surely is the right strategy now.

Indeed, only DC & NC will know that.

And yes some interesting comments yesterday, from temporary seating (not much) to looking at the ground perhaps the season after.

Consolidation in league 1 would be my aim, first season especially.

Without knocking parts of the ground down and rebuilding, there is no easy way to increase capacity. Can't say I am surprised but I am glad to be honest.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll know more about a possible ground move in a year's time. Or maybe not!

Where did you get this from?

Whilst there's certainly an increase in budgets (and anomalies such as a Charlton, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Bolton, Ipswich, Wigan, Leeds, Forest, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton when they've all been in L1) there are still the Gillingham, Walsall, Accrington, Shrewsbury, Wimbledon, Rochdale types who are going to be on a similar, or lower, level than us budget wise.

There will still be plenty of teams in and around us. The difference is the top 7 or 8 sides.

The thing to keep in mind with budgets is how it’s used. We are very lean. We don’t have too many players not running around on the pitch on a Saturday.

Next season is a huge test in terms of budget,expectations and crowd size especially if we are lower mid table.
Good point. I've been thinking all season of the difficulty in getting matchday tickets should we go up because there'll be more demand, obviously?
But if we're struggling in a higher division, demand might not be as high expected as some fans will only watch when the team is winning. Maybe why there will probably only be 200 extra seats next season.

If I was chairman I'd now sack the Cowley's and get in a recently retired former international player with no management experience and go shit or bust for the Championship next season.

I hope these extra seats circa 200 being reported will be cost effective, if not, why bother.
Aren't they just ones in the Echo that have been out for years and an extra row across the back? There's a largish area of concrete at the back which you'd probably be able to get more seats on.

Probably too simplistic but isn’t extending the Selenity either end a bit like adding an extension to your house.

And while your’re at it pile drive massive steel posts at the back of the Selenity with a couple of steel beams to the front of the Selenity to support the roof and then get rid of the posts inside the Selenity. Job Done and no more restricted views bar the dug outs but we can sink those a little, bit like a Roman Bath, they must have left some plans behind when building that road.

Probably too simplistic but isn’t extending the Selenity either end a bit like adding an extension to your house.

You can only do that at one end unless you rip out kiddies' corner and reconfigure the changing rooms. On the other side there are facilities including the toilets, so that will mean either a series of access points, or building a separate stand. So basically no, not like adding an extension - building another house.