Clem post match | Page 4 | Vital Football

Clem post match

The problem is now we've done rubbish we'll have to pay even higher wages to attract anyone decent (facepalm).

In all of the emotion post Harrogate, the vast majority of supporters have lost all objective reasoning.

I actually don’t think we’re a million miles away from success. So what’s missing?

1. We got to go back to our roots. Fuck Como. Let’s graft it out in Dartford, Welling and Folkestone. Bin luxury players and get in some passionate grafters.

2. A bit more firepower up front to support Andrews.

3. An enforcer who will take no shit from other team members and who will put in the occasional crunching tackle.

4. A manager who has a Club First mentality; not a Player First mentality. Replace the friendliness with Alex Fergusson hair-dryer treatment.

5. And by far the biggest thing: attack at pace and move the ball quickly. How many times have we had a counter attack opportunity only to slow the play down to allow the opposition to reset? There’s a time for tiki-taka football round the back line - but it isn’t when we’re on a counter attack.

We need some stability. We can’t go making wholesale changes again. Trust in the process. Work hard in pre-season. Supplement the squad with some quality additions.

One other thought on stability. The whole purpose of a DOF is to have someone looking at the long term vision. That’s essential because the first team coach is only interested in the next game. You can’t have a long term vision if you’re constantly changing your DOF.
Totally agree with what you suggest as the solution. Ironically that will require the wholesale changes that you say aren't needed/desirable.

For whatever reason, each has only been decent in odd spells and none of them has dominated any game for us or won us a game off their own back. The fact JW and GL have (I think) 2 goals between them is appaling. And I think only a couple of assists.
Ahem, Gorgeous George has 3 if you don’t mind OSK.

No idea about the welsh wizard though.

Ahem, Gorgeous George has 3 if you don’t mind OSK.

No idea about the welsh wizard though.
Yes Lapslie has found his scoring boots recently (relatively speaking).
Johnny Williams has only managed 1 goal, in the EFL Trophy.
I’ll let someone else post the assist stats for both players (ie I’ve no idea).

Yes Lapslie has found his scoring boots recently (relatively speaking).
Johnny Williams has only managed 1 goal, in the EFL Trophy.
I’ll let someone else post the assist stats for both players (ie I’ve no idea).
By my stats - which may not always tally with the official ones - Lapslie and JW have two assists each. Two of those came in the FA Cup.

The problem is now we've done rubbish we'll have to pay even higher wages to attract anyone decent (facepalm).

That's not really an issue mate - players generally follow the money as they've got a short career and need to make the most of it.

The only time it doesn't really happen is when someone might be getting higher offers from the league below - you aren't gonna accept that on your way up the ladder (assuming you're performing well and regularly in the league above), but will definitely do so once you've peaked - (Alfie May vs Paul Mullin basically).

In the past 30 years, even with no budget, I don’t think we’ve been in this division for three seasons on the trot (maybe we just did under Hess?), so I don’t think it’s much to ask to make the playoffs when we have a decent backing/budget. With some decent teams going up and out of this division and probably not much coming down/up, I think the owners, manager/coaches, players and us fans need to aim higher next season. No harm in that. Is there?
Well that tells you how well Scally managed the club!!!

We went up the third season - two under Hess were more successful and more entertaining than our last two, albeit still failures which cost him his job. Then Allen came in and did the job.
Yes Hess couldn’t even get us into the playoffs although we only narrowly missed out the second time. The 5-4 Hereford match probably the highlight entertainment wise of his reign.
Mad dog saw he just need to shore up the defence as back then we were scoring for fun, and Adam Barrett was a key signing for doing that.

I remember Allen coming in and immediately saying how good the squad was, and he couldn’t believe he was so lucky etc. It might’ve just been a charm exercise, but it obviously worked, as the players really took to him, as did the fans. Those first few months under him especially was as close as the team and fans have been since the early Championship years. He was excellent at that. Gallinson has brought the club and fans closer, but there’s still a disconnect between fans and the team which I’d love to see sorted.

If SC does not attempt to move on / not renew the rubbish in the squad any faith i have in him will have gone.

It’s just become blah blah blah to me now
Started the season with so much optimism after the way we smashed our way through the second half of last season but totally lost momentum and direction almost from the start
I think losing Hawkins didn’t help because the combination with Nichols last season was so important
Where do we go from here we’ll decent summer recruitment is priority after this pre seasons failure followed by who stays and who goes from the current squad
There easy as always 😆

Yes Hess couldn’t even get us into the playoffs although we only narrowly missed out the second time. The 5-4 Hereford match probably the highlight entertainment wise of his reign.
Mad dog saw he just need to shore up the defence as back then we were scoring for fun, and Adam Barrett was a key signing for doing that.
Couldn't have got much closer though. Finished 8th both seasons. Missed out on goal difference in 2010 (that was the narrower) and were the top scorers in the division in 2011:

If SC does not attempt to move on / not renew the rubbish in the squad any faith i have in him will have gone.
A lot of the boys who are here will be trying to put things right for next season, there are a lot of boys I am really happy with, but like every club we will be trying to make improvements to the squad in the summer."

A lot of the boys who are here will be trying to put things right for next season, there are a lot of boys I am really happy with, but like every club we will be trying to make improvements to the squad in the summer."
There's a lot of boys i'm NOT happy with. They need to be released / sold / not renewed.

both williams, lapslie, dieng, nadesan, clark, clarke, malone, morris would be good to leave. plus mahoney and walker will leave after loan.

I hope sc recognises the fact.

All this talk of letting people go or moving people on - we may have offers come in for people, but word is we're paying high wages for good players on long deals (JW for instance), so it's not exactly going to be an easy job.

My issue with the slash and burn attitude is that you very seldom actually get anyone else in who's any better, so may as well try and build and develop a side with the players you've got.

Let those who are truly not up to snuff go by all means, but Dieng, Lapslie, JW, Malone are all easily good enough to be in promotion winning sides for this level.

Much will depend on the length of contract we offered when we were desperate to stay in the league. I wouldn't mind see the likes of Lapslie, Dieng and Hawkins move on but they won't if they have a contract.

There's a lot of boys i'm NOT happy with. They need to be released / sold / not renewed.

both williams, lapslie, dieng, nadesan, clark, clarke, malone, morris would be good to leave. plus mahoney and walker will leave after loan.

I hope sc recognises the fact.

The, I expect SC is "happy enough with" list is something like this

Turner

Ogie, Ehmer*, Masterson*

Malone*, Hutton, Clark

J Williams, Coleman, Dieng*, Lapslie*

Hawkins*, Andrews,

*out of contract in the summer

Now, whether he likes any of the above enough to offer them a new deal will be interesting.

But honestly, that doesn't look half bad squad on paper, SC just has to sign a few players to sort out how he wants to actually play. An old fashioned quick short strike partner for one of the big lads would be a focus for me.

Much will depend on the length of contract we offered when we were desperate to stay in the league. I wouldn't mind see the likes of Lapslie, Dieng and Hawkins move on but they won't if they have a contract.
I think that most who joined in the January surge to keep us up got 2.5 years so have another season to go.