Clem post match | Vital Football

Clem post match

Interesting that after harrogate galinson said that hes not going to sugar coat it. Sounds like clemence stopped by the cash and carry for a bulk bag !

The only important question now is whether clemence knows how to fix it in the summer.

I have a feeling, well I still get those at my age. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Clemence walked on his own accord. Think he didn’t realise the task of taking us over and I agree he looks shattered.

Clemence may be better suited to coach in a higher league. Let's be honest, we've gone backwards under him, particularly at home. You need an experienced old head to understand L2. Why Martin Allen was such a clever appointment the season Gills were last promoted.

Clemence may be better suited to coach in a higher league. Let's be honest, we've gone backwards under him, particularly at home. You need an experienced old head to understand L2. Why Martin Allen was such a clever appointment the season Gills were last promoted.
100% agree, and as sad as it was, it was 100% right to move him on a few months into the next season as his approach didn’t work.

However, there will be some managers out there who can set up a L2 team, then adapt to L1 after promotion - although they are very different leagues.

100% agree, and as sad as it was, it was 100% right to move him on a few months into the next season as his approach didn’t work.

However, there will be some managers out there who can set up a L2 team, then adapt to L1 after promotion - although they are very different leagues.

Agree. Get a proven L2/L1 manager with promotions on his CV in place. Leave the metrics, xG and pretty patterns until we get to the Champ around 2027. Get a new manager then 👍

Or, get us a squad that’s clearly better than the division and it won’t matter what manager we have.

Difficult, isn`t it ? Like many others, i`m not yet fully convinced by SC but, don`t feel it`s right to let him go before he`s had a chance to mix his own ingredients for the style he wants to play. Equally, however, is the style he wants to play the correct formula for promotion from L2 ?

Perhaps it would be beneficial to consider the style and approach of the three teams that will be auto-promoted from L2. It`s true that finance will have played a key role in their promotion but it`s also true that each team has invested where it counts the most - up front.

Financially, we are now a club prepared to pay for decent players. We don`t know what next season`s budget will look like. But, it`s pretty clear that our owners are capable of spending at a level we haven`t seen at GFC in a long while, perhaps ever. My guess is that the Gallinson`s have learned a lot in a short time and may well be prepared to invest appropriately in the type of players necessary to make winning games more probable.

If Brad and Shannon decide they want to "go for it" next season then whether they keep SC is a big decision. We don`t know the extent of GFC "internal politics" that led to a need for restructuring. But, keeping SC probably makes sense, though only if we are there or thereabouts come next Christmas.

Does anyone think that the Galinsons may now think that the most important thing is to make a decision about manager in the summer and then stick by their choice, and the signings made under that choice, for the whole season, barring a relegation fight?

I get that they inherited NH so were within their rights to replace him, but early summer was the time so that his replacement could enjoy a pre season and plan a whole campaign.

Hopefully, they will have learned enough by now to see that.

Does anyone think that the Galinsons may now think that the most important thing is to make a decision about manager in the summer and then stick by their choice, and the signings made under that choice, for the whole season, barring a relegation fight?
IMO that is exactly what the owners need to do.

They need to decide in the next 3 weeks if SC is the man for next season, even before the retained list is submitted to the FL.

If they decide SC is the best/right candidate for next season they need to back him in the transfer window with players he wants and to fit a system he wants to play and barring as you say a relegation battle, they need to give him ALL of next season and judge him then.

If they're not willing to do that or not sure he's the right choice get rid as soon as the season finishes.

IMO if we have anything about us as a club they should do the first option, or do we end up a club that bins managers off every 6 months from here on in.

Last edited:
The system a manager wants to play and 'his own players'!

Even given the worst players ever there is no winning mentality at present.

I will say it again, with minutes to go and needing the points the coach has to throw caution to the wind and throw players up and pump everything at their defence.
Not sure how you win if you are still passing the f ball around and not getting the ball in the mixer and shooting. Also brings the crowd in as 12th man.

Does SC have that in his locker. If not then what is he good for?

Should have stayed as Bruce's lacky.
I may be being harsh, but I’m starting to question whether Gallinson’s intentions match his actions. Surely, with all his bold statements, a Bruce/Clemence/Stockdale dream team would have matched his high ambitions? I’m afraid to say, with the appointment of Clemence and pathetic efforts in the transfer market, it all looks very cheapskate Scally era….

I may be being harsh, but I’m starting to question whether Gallinson’s intentions match his actions. Surely, with all his bold statements, a Bruce/Clemence/Stockdale dream team would have matched his high ambitions? I’m afraid to say, with the appointment of Clemence and pathetic efforts in the transfer market, it all looks very cheapskate Scally era….
I think this coming summer’s recruitment will show one way or the other whether the Galinson’s investment will match their words .

The system a manager wants to play and 'his own players'!

Even given the worst players ever there is no winning mentality at present.

I will say it again, with minutes to go and needing the points the coach has to throw caution to the wind and throw players up and pump everything at their defence.
Not sure how you win if you are still passing the f ball around and not getting the ball in the mixer and shooting. Also brings the crowd in as 12th man.

Does SC have that in his locker. If not then what is he good for?
Of course, Clemence knows more than me, but I was advocating a risky, but playing to our strengths approach from the start yesterday. Get Hawkins and Andrews on and two wingers who can cross to them in Hutton and Mahoney and have a go. If not from the start as I wanted, at least at the end. Instead, we just play cautiously and try to nick one. I’m sorry to say, as I as desperate for him to succeed, but Clemence is as dull as Harris - possibly worse.

I think this coming summer’s recruitment will show one way or the other whether the Galinson’s investment will match their words .
Really can’t see what’s in it for them if they aren’t going to make us a success in the pitch?

Really can’t see what’s in it for them if they aren’t going to make us a success in the pitch?
They’ve said they don’t want to be in League 2.
They’ll need to invest in the squad if they want us to get up to league 1. Goals don’t come cheap.

Of course, Clemence knows more than me, but I was advocating a risky, but playing to our strengths approach from the start yesterday. Get Hawkins and Andrews on and two wingers who can cross to them in Hutton and Mahoney and have a go.
Agreed, and tell Mahoney that if he passes backwards, sideways or in any way passes the buck, he will get his ears ripped off (metaphorically speaking of course).

Taking players on, crossing and shooting should be the only things on his mind when we are in possession, although like the rest he does need to keep the shape when we lose possession and look to win the ball back as early as possible.

Agreed, and tell Mahoney that if he passes backwards, sideways or in any way passes the buck, he will get his ears ripped off (metaphorically speaking of course).

Taking players on, crossing and shooting should be the only things on his mind when we are in possession, although like the rest he does need to keep the shape when we lose possession and look to win the ball back as early as possible.
I said on the match day thread that at 1-0 down we should have sacrificed a deep midfielder and gone Andrews and Hawks up front and literally loaded the ball in to the box.
That doesn’t match Clems football values but it IS what was needed. We had eff all attempts at goal despite being behind.
Surely if there is a shit or bust moment, that was it.
Unfortunately I have zero confidence in Clemence for next season despite whatever the budget may be.

Ex
Surely if there is a shit or bust moment, that was it.
Unfortunately I have zero confidence in Clemence for next season despite whatever the budget may be.
Personably, I’m still happy for Clemence to be given the chance to mould his own squad and team, but that’s only if he’s given the budget needed to get promoted. If our investment and movement in the transfer market is as crap and tight arse as in the summer and January, our move should be to use any budget we have to get a Martin Allen, Pulis 96 style old school pro pragmatist of a manager to get the best out of what we’ve got or can get and get us promoted by whatever means is necessary.