Christians contract | Page 2 | Vital Football

Christians contract

• Thread starter Removed at own request
  • Start date
Seems like the PL is the place to make your name and La Liga, SerieA and the French League are then your early retirement homes of choice. Same for the Bundesliga. I saw a report last week that EUFA or FIFA were concerned that pirate streaming of matches is threatening the economic structure of European football......all I can say is more power to the pirates.

Less games, fewer demanding matches, longer breaks, less injuries - same or more money....if you're making career choices and you go in at the highest level, why wouldn't you?

I only quote them as an example if being prepared to spend big to make a small incremental improvement - and not do what we did with the Bale money, which apart from Eriksen (who at the time I couldn't believe we'd signed), wasn't our smartest set of transfers..

I'm fully aware that the disparity bertween us is vast; t's not just the 100mill p.a. difference that we've closed the gap to - although this year iit's likely to be closer to 150 mill....it's the fact that their capital employed is nearly 1 billion more than us.
To be fair pool wasted the Suarez money, I would also point out that we were a less attractive club then. We now have a clear identity and as such I honestly think with such a windfall now we would be in a position to attract better players.
If not for injuries I think Lamela could have been a good signing, We made money on Chadli, but I agree the rest were a disaster.

Sorry, I think we need a reality check here; IF a club like Real Madrid/Barca come knocking, the chances are any and ever player in the PL would sit up and listen - it's not just the huge wages they can pay, it's also the lifestyle - sun, Mediterranean life style, bigger global exposure which directly feeds into endorsements and post-retirement exposure.

And that's not even taking into account the tax treatment that they still can get away with because of the way Spain allows image/overseas marketing payments for rights.

Bale earns in the region of 600,000 Euro's a week, only paying about 25-30% tax on it; sums we cannot even think about matching; which is why I thought it was laughable that some thought we could get him back.

Like it or not, we're not in that class and when a player hits the two year mark and isn't signing a new deal, we'll look to sell - which I entirely agree with.

What we have to improve is how we spend the money after being forced to sell.

Liverpool sold at the top end for a player some thought was irreplaceable - but the way they've spent since, whilst the goalkeeping money looks like madness - at the moment, he's hardly been missed.

That's what we have to achieve when we're forced to sell.

We are on the cusp of being a top-line club, but competing with the likes of the European giants financially or being as attractive maybe a lifetime away.
I understand what you are saying Ex, I just think being proactive rather than reactive is the only way forward and if Eriksen has his heart set on a move and will not be signing a new contract then we need to get his position filled as soon as possible as Pollo highlighted .

I'm sorry, please explain to me what signal you are sending to a player that you want to keep if you buy a replacement while still in negotiation.
I wonder what world some people live in, none of us know the status of negotiations so suggesting we go out and buy a replacement is illogical in my mind.

I'm sorry, please explain to me what signal you are sending to a player that you want to keep if you buy a replacement while still in negotiation.
I wonder what world some people live in, none of us know the status of negotiations so suggesting we go out and buy a replacement is illogical in my mind.

Depth.

If it's depth then you are not buying a replacement, what you are doing is augmenting what you already have.
I ready earlier that Sanchez was bought as a replacement for Toby, he was not. He was bought as a replacement for Wimmer who was sold.

Semantics.

New deals for Amos,Eyoma and Skipp is all very well for the future but what is more important is to tie down Toby,Erikson and Dembo to new and long deals and forget about their resale value ! The urgency is now and not tomorrow !!!

IF he is happy to stay for another couple of seasons to see where 'we go' then I defo up his money, I see him as important as Kane and very instrumental in making us tick. Irrespective of getting 100 mil or whatever for him, right now we don't have a replacement and absolutely should not lose him. However, if he actually wants to go, then get top top dollar.