Chew The Fat -The non Pompey Fratton Park XI | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chew The Fat -The non Pompey Fratton Park XI

pompeyrug - 1/11/2013 12:24

Cannot understand WHY I am having so much trouble thinking of names!
I'm the same Rug .. I'm having to think of the teams we've played and then think about who was playing for them .. An example is that I can't remember if Peter Schmichael ever played at Fratton ... Although I should add Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Ronaldo and Torres to the list

Did Cantona ever play at Fratton .. maybe for Leeds ??

We could add Andy Cole to the list .. and Denis Bergkamp of course .

Chix - 31/10/2013 14:45

Just remembered the Ryan Giggs inspired Hat-trick for Rooney in 2009 (2 x pens) and the way Giggs himself curled a 20-yard free-kick into the bottom corner of Begovic's net.. 4-1 and I thought we played really well !

Agree with that one Chix!

Kaka was exactly that at Fratton!! If it was for the greatest player I've ever seen in the flesh produce a game changing performance all by himself Milan wouldn't of gotten a thing. Step forward Mr Ronaldinho!

Also, one performance stands head and shoulders for me.

His first appearance at Fratton and he ripped us apart all by himself, I think if I remember rightly we were 3 down at halftime and just didn't know what the hell to do with him, Mr Andrei Arshavin, a truly majestic performance....what happened to him???

Was a superstar in the making wasnt he Ashavin but completely went off the rails!

I think I would add Scholes, as he would have had belters against us at Fratton but honestly cannot really recall Lampard, Gerrard, Ronaldo or Torres really having 'outstanding' games against us?

I'll collate this in a couple of days and turn it into a fron page runner to see if we get anymore players .... I can then start to build a team ... or two ... We do need some defenders though ..

I never saw Gazza play against us at Fratton but did have the pleasure of seeing him in his latter years turning out for Everton against Plymouth in a pre-season game.

Even then he was a genius and shut up the Plymouth fans with a cracking goal, he was great with the banter tho tbf!

Anymore for anymore .. Gotta put this to bed soon... and turn it into a front page trailer ..

I doubt if any Vitalites have 'seen' them, but Joe Mercer and Tommy Lawton played at FP - Portsmouth v Everton, 01 February 1939

RUG - READY FOR THE FRONT PAGE WHEN YOU ARE

<b>Chew The Fat - The non Pompey Fratton Park XI</b>

<b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Ever thought Pompey had a great player?

Ever thought a Pompey player had had an outstanding performance?

I’m sure you have and I’m sure we all have our own thoughts and memories about Pompey’s greatest and each of our views may be different to the next

But <b><font color='#A32B70'>what about the opposition ? </font></b>

Have you ever <b><font color='#A32B70'>admired a player for the opposition</font></b> or perhaps gone to Fratton <b><font color='#A32B70'>in anticipation</font></b> of seeing a great performance by a <b><font color='#A32B70'>superstar</font></b> on the opposing team only to be let down.

Well we at Vital Pompey want your thoughts

We want to hear about the opposition players who have impressed you and those who reputation has left you disappointed.

We’ve provided some names to get you thinking but <b><font color='#A32B70'>would welcome many many more</font></b>... and if we get enough we can collate an <b><font color='#A32B70'> ‘All Time Opposition XI’ </font></b>who inspired and an ‘All Time Opposition XI’ who did not – The only stipulation is that they must have played at Fratton Park for the opposition.

Here’s a <b><font color='#A32B70'>couple of examples</font></b> of those that have impressed

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Mark Hughes</font></b> for Chelsea when he scored in the cup ...

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Thierry Henry</font></b> on the occasion he ‘wore the shirt’..

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Ronaldinho</font></b> just for that pure cameo display for AC Milan ...

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Bruce Grobelaar</font></b>back in 1980 before he was known when playing for Crewe on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps.

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Stanley Matthews </font></b> in 1963 when he was 48 and still magical. Stoke went on to win promotion

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Ryan Giggs</font></b> inspired Hat-trick for Rooney in 2009 (2 x pens) and the way Giggs himself curled a 20-yard free-kick into the bottom corner of Begovic's net

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Gaza</font></b> in the Cup when he was at Spurs

Here’s a few examples of<b><font color='#A32B70'> those that didn’t</font></b>

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Ronaldo</font></b> for Man Utd when he got sent off

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Kaka</font></b> for AC Milan – We didn’t know he was on the pitch

<b><font color='#A32B70'>Torres</font></b> first season at Liverpool ... Anonymous

Right you’ve had some of our <b><font color='#A32B70'>lets have some from you</font></b> guys

Post Away
</B></font>

Continually say it but STILL struggling to think of great players (besides those already said) that I have seen deliver the goods at Fratton...

pompeyrug - 11/11/2013 15:13

Continually say it but STILL struggling to think of great players (besides those already said) that I have seen deliver the goods at Fratton...

lol seems you are not the only one .. I'll know up a closing article in a week or so and put out a team ... hopefully I'll miss somebody obvious and we'll get a barrage of 'how could you miss him comments ;)

Okay, my two penneth!! Some were great performances rather than truly great players but worth a mention for me.

Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge - Liverpool, an awesome trio..
Robbie Keane - Wolves (what a player that night)
Shearer - handball you dirty scummer!! for Blackburn - oops, wrong thread!
Bellamy - for Blackburn (amongst others) but those 2 goals were class

Gazza, what a wonderful player... watch the videos Jed!!
Lineker and Waddle
Kaka, Ronaldhino,
Rooney and Ronaldo..

Rodney Jack probably scored the best goal ive seen at FP by an opposition player, for Crewe in a terrble 3-0 defeat..... I still clapped it.

Henry of course and Viera...

Jonathan Woodgate, his shepherding of Benjani was a masterclass for Boro...

Kerry Dixons cameo off the bench for Chelsea

Rob Greens goalkeeping heroics for Norwich early in his career

Giggs, Scholes, Ince, Robson.. for Utd

My time is from the 80's so a dearth of true greats for long periods... but some good memories..