Chew The Fat -The non Pompey Fratton Park XI | Vital Football

Chew The Fat -The non Pompey Fratton Park XI

Chix

Vital Champions League
<b> Ok here's something a little different

I want to see if we can build a team (or two) of the best non Pompey players we have seen at Fratton Park ... You shout them out and then we'll try and build them into a team ...

Keep it fresh...... so one one post at a time please ...

Think we have the makings of a very good forward line ...

Gonna add Ronaldinho just for that pure cameo display .. although it broke our hearts

Sure does!

It was a great cameo wasnt it.

I think the only regret that I have from that Milan game was that Paolo Maldini didnt play, one of the greatest fullbacks ever and would have EASILY been a name to mention had he featured...

It's really hard not to think about attackers and goalscorers in this thread ... but laugh as you might (and you might) one player that impressed me no end when I last saw him at Fratton (in our last season in the prem) was .... drum roll please ... Marouane Fellaini .. The ground he covered was amazing .. one of the best box to box performances I've ever seen .. true Pompey were not the strongest opposition at the time .. but you can only beat whoever your playing.... I was not in the least surprised when Moyes took him to Man United..

Trying to think of a goalkeeper and obviously drawn to those we have seen during the premiership days but can not think of a truly inspiring performance from an opposition goalie .... Maybe there weren't too many occasions we pummelled the opposition so much that made their keeper busy ..

Seen .... Jussi Jaaskelainen, Brad Friedel, Edwin Van Der Sar, Petr Cech
Pepe Reina, ...plus a raft of others.. but gonna go with Reina as at least I can remember him being troubled .. whereas Van Der Saar and Cech (although IMO better keepers) had very little to do

There was a great performance from a certain Bruce Grobelaar back in 1980 before he was known when playing for Crewe on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps.

That's the kind of memory I need .... Dave or anybody .... I know George Best played at Fratton once and I even know I was there .. but I have no idea/memory of how he played .. Where any of you guys there?

I think he'll have to go into the side them Dave ....

Need some more peaches like that one.. ..

Did the likes of Moore, Peters, Hurst, Ball, Blanchflower, Mackay, Finney, Edwards, Kidd, Law, every play at Fratton do you know ...

oh .... What about Keane or Cantona ?

Just remembered the Ryan Giggs inspired Hat-trick for Rooney in 2009 (2 x pens) and the way Giggs himself curled a 20-yard free-kick into the bottom corner of Begovic's net.. 4-1 and I thought we played really well !

Chix, do you mean best performances at FP or just the best players to have played at FP?

PFCblue - 31/10/2013 17:28

Chix, do you mean best performances at FP or just the best players to have played at FP?

Erm not sure I know .. but on the basis that I can remember people playing but not necessarily how good they were lets go with the best player only irrespective of performance .. makes it easier too

Gotta Go with George Best ... Wish I could get that team sheet v Man United as I'm sure there will a few on there that and also the Arsenall FA Cup tie in 1971 as I'm sure there would be some classic players of the 70's on that team sheet too.