Charlie Hughes | Vital Football

Charlie Hughes

DRAGNET

Vital 1st Team Regular
Put away your Suns and Stars, and purchase today's I (eye) who have devoted a full page to Charlie titled "Hughes tipped for the top"an article of such eloquence clubs will be at the end of our season knocking on our door to sign him.
It also highlights Wigans commitment to youth stating, we are leading the way across the entire EFL, and much more.
I tomorrow will be (God willing) attending the 5th Birthday party of WIGAN ATHLETIC Community Trust at the DW. Over these 5 years it as grown to become a lifeline to many old folk.
Folks I can happly report Operation Rebuild is well and truly underway.
See you all at the Burton game.

That's a great read Dragnet. I don't subscribe to "I", but managed to find the article on another platform.

I have to say though, the headline can feck right off, as it sounds like he's still with them.

I haven't got an 'I' subscription, but have managed to read it - good article.

Managed to copy and paste it for those who haven't seen it yet:

The coveted Liverpool academy product causing a stir for Wigan in League One

Wigan-born Charlie Hughes is attracting interest from a number of Premier League clubs as he continues to impress for the Latics

A scout with a heavyweight CV and an eagle eye for a player fires up his laptop, does a quick search through the system and quotes a few top lines on Charlie Hughes, the England Under-20 centre-back creating quite a stir in League One.

"Good in the air, strong, consistently wins his duels. Ticks the box on distribution - creates time on the ball," it says. He is flagged up as one to monitor, his mentality noted. "Can play at a higher level."

It is not an isolated opinion. 20-year-old Hughes has attracted plenty of attention, with Premier League talent spotters regularly checking in at the DW Stadium to run the rule over a player who says he models his game on Virgil van Dijk and Sergio Ramos.

West Ham are firm admirers while Ipswich Town, pushing for promotion to the top tier, have also been credited with an interest.

Brentford, whose talent ID is close to best in class in the Premier League, are also understood to be maintaining a watching brief.

But Hughes is a Wigan Athletic success story and a short time in his company hints at why he is destined for the top. Just as he does on the pitch, Hughes projects a quiet authority alongside a commendable maturity. If there is any evidence that the hype and speculation is going to his head it is very well hidden indeed.

"I just want to let my football do the talking," he says, midway through our interview when asked about his Wigan future. For the record he comes across as totally committed to the Latics.

Coaches marvel at his desire to learn and he says he has leant on seasoned, senior teammates like Max Power and last season's centre-back partner Jack Whatmough for advice.

"I'm trying to improve every day, to train well and play well and be the best version of myself," he tells 1.

"I stay away from social media and don't really read anything about my future and see just see it as noise. I don't allow myself to tune into that stuff and get big-headed. Football is such a rollercoaster and things can change very quickly."

Hughes should know, having crammed plenty into his nascent football career already. He spent time in the Manchester City academy before moving to Liverpool, where he was a teammate of Conor Bradley in the age groups.

His father Adrian was a professional footballer himself, a centre-back with Preston North End whose career was curtailed by injury. He has been a huge support, able to offer advice along his journey. Rejection at Melwood was never going to be terminal to his aspirations.

"At that stage it was about playing with a smile on my face. Those setbacks as a youngster, you just sort of take it," he recalls.

"I have always grown up being around older lads so I've always taken their advice and I used to speak to a lot of the older ones.

"I have always tried to push on by doing more so when it happened that's what I did. If I get a setback I'm in the gym doing more or I'm on the pitch trying to do more. I want to try and improve and I'd always pull the coach and ask him questions, that's in my nature."

His hometown side Wigan moved in and he joined a club that "felt like a family", offering a fast-track route into the Under-21s and the first team. That path was cleared by the club's financial and ownership difficulties, which required a fire sale of first-team players and preceded relegation from the Championship last season.

Hughes was handed a chance and prospered but the club was struggling. Players were paid late on six occasions last season, technically a breach of contract that would have allowed them a chance to walk away for nothing. They started this season on minus eight points as punishment for the club's previous owners failing to deposit funds to cover the wage bill.

They were difficult days and given there were no shortage of potential suitors, Hughes might have been forgiven for walking away. There was never a chance of that, he says.

"It was a tough time what the club was going through.

"The respect the club and staff had for the players, you come to the conclusion that you've been at the club for so long, you've come through the academy, they looked after me - I felt it was a no brainer to stick around and improve as a player and person here."

Hughes is speaking to 1 as part of the EFL's youth development week in which the league highlight the crucial role its clubs play in developing players - not just for their own teams but also for Premier League clubs and England sides.

Last season academy players made more than 5,000 appearances across the league. An impressive 161 players were handed debuts in 2022/3 and already this season academy graduates have made more than 3,400 appearances. These serve as timely reminders at a point when the Premier League are stalling over a financial settlement with the league.

Wigan’s impressive commitment to youth means they are leading the way across the entire EFL. 40 per cent of their team is made up of academy graduates, who have played a cumulative 13,000 minutes in League One.

That has brought a closeness to this tightly-knit, talented group, and hopes are high that, starting from a level playing field next season, the team can challenge for promotion.

“We’re more like a family than teammates,” Hughes says.

“We’re growing together and there’s some players in there who can make this group really special. This team has a really bright future.”

I haven't got an 'I' subscription, but have managed to read it - good article.

Managed to copy and paste it for those who haven't seen it yet:

The coveted Liverpool academy product causing a stir for Wigan in League One

Wigan-born Charlie Hughes is attracting interest from a number of Premier League clubs as he continues to impress for the Latics

A scout with a heavyweight CV and an eagle eye for a player fires up his laptop, does a quick search through the system and quotes a few top lines on Charlie Hughes, the England Under-20 centre-back creating quite a stir in League One.

"Good in the air, strong, consistently wins his duels. Ticks the box on distribution - creates time on the ball," it says. He is flagged up as one to monitor, his mentality noted. "Can play at a higher level."

It is not an isolated opinion. 20-year-old Hughes has attracted plenty of attention, with Premier League talent spotters regularly checking in at the DW Stadium to run the rule over a player who says he models his game on Virgil van Dijk and Sergio Ramos.

West Ham are firm admirers while Ipswich Town, pushing for promotion to the top tier, have also been credited with an interest.

Brentford, whose talent ID is close to best in class in the Premier League, are also understood to be maintaining a watching brief.

But Hughes is a Wigan Athletic success story and a short time in his company hints at why he is destined for the top. Just as he does on the pitch, Hughes projects a quiet authority alongside a commendable maturity. If there is any evidence that the hype and speculation is going to his head it is very well hidden indeed.

"I just want to let my football do the talking," he says, midway through our interview when asked about his Wigan future. For the record he comes across as totally committed to the Latics.

Coaches marvel at his desire to learn and he says he has leant on seasoned, senior teammates like Max Power and last season's centre-back partner Jack Whatmough for advice.

"I'm trying to improve every day, to train well and play well and be the best version of myself," he tells 1.

"I stay away from social media and don't really read anything about my future and see just see it as noise. I don't allow myself to tune into that stuff and get big-headed. Football is such a rollercoaster and things can change very quickly."

Hughes should know, having crammed plenty into his nascent football career already. He spent time in the Manchester City academy before moving to Liverpool, where he was a teammate of Conor Bradley in the age groups.

His father Adrian was a professional footballer himself, a centre-back with Preston North End whose career was curtailed by injury. He has been a huge support, able to offer advice along his journey. Rejection at Melwood was never going to be terminal to his aspirations.

"At that stage it was about playing with a smile on my face. Those setbacks as a youngster, you just sort of take it," he recalls.

"I have always grown up being around older lads so I've always taken their advice and I used to speak to a lot of the older ones.

"I have always tried to push on by doing more so when it happened that's what I did. If I get a setback I'm in the gym doing more or I'm on the pitch trying to do more. I want to try and improve and I'd always pull the coach and ask him questions, that's in my nature."

His hometown side Wigan moved in and he joined a club that "felt like a family", offering a fast-track route into the Under-21s and the first team. That path was cleared by the club's financial and ownership difficulties, which required a fire sale of first-team players and preceded relegation from the Championship last season.

Hughes was handed a chance and prospered but the club was struggling. Players were paid late on six occasions last season, technically a breach of contract that would have allowed them a chance to walk away for nothing. They started this season on minus eight points as punishment for the club's previous owners failing to deposit funds to cover the wage bill.

They were difficult days and given there were no shortage of potential suitors, Hughes might have been forgiven for walking away. There was never a chance of that, he says.

"It was a tough time what the club was going through.

"The respect the club and staff had for the players, you come to the conclusion that you've been at the club for so long, you've come through the academy, they looked after me - I felt it was a no brainer to stick around and improve as a player and person here."

Hughes is speaking to 1 as part of the EFL's youth development week in which the league highlight the crucial role its clubs play in developing players - not just for their own teams but also for Premier League clubs and England sides.

Last season academy players made more than 5,000 appearances across the league. An impressive 161 players were handed debuts in 2022/3 and already this season academy graduates have made more than 3,400 appearances. These serve as timely reminders at a point when the Premier League are stalling over a financial settlement with the league.

Wigan’s impressive commitment to youth means they are leading the way across the entire EFL. 40 per cent of their team is made up of academy graduates, who have played a cumulative 13,000 minutes in League One.

That has brought a closeness to this tightly-knit, talented group, and hopes are high that, starting from a level playing field next season, the team can challenge for promotion.

“We’re more like a family than teammates,” Hughes says.

“We’re growing together and there’s some players in there who can make this group really special. This team has a really bright future.”
You dont need a subscription I read it this morning on Newsnow Wigan Athletic

Not many Championship sides will have the type of money to offer the size of fee we'd want. I think the biggest threat would be from Prem sides who see him as 'one for the future' and would sign him now to either put him in their youth system or take him and then loan him out to get more experience.

But the size of fee i imagine we'd want, i could see Prem clubs thinking it's a lot for a L1 player with only 1 full season and they may want to see him push on a little more before committing that type of money. So i don't think it's out of the question he is still here next season, as i think he's going to be valued very highly by us and i'm not sure other clubs will value he quite to that level yet.

If Prem clubs do come in this summer I could see it being the likes of Brentford and Brighton who are known for finding lower league gems.

Last edited:
You dont need a subscription I read it this morning on Newsnow Wigan Athletic
Didn't realise this Zakky, thanks - will check there in future. When I went into the article it put a paywall up after a few seconds so I just copied and pasted it onto a word doc to read it.

I still worry about his top speed. That's definitely something that can continue to be worked on. Not all top class CBs have elite speed, but pretty much every top class forward does (even someone like Kane will look very rapid compared to the standard 9 that we see in L1). So this is something to be worked on, as we've seen a few times that he can get dragged and then beaten by speedy forwards. To be fair to him, the improvement he's made over the course of this season has been excellent, so this may be less of an issue as he develops his complete game and continues to work on his athleticism in training.

I hope that Maloney and Danson are forging a plan on how to ensure we're competing for promotion next season in a financially sensible way. If that's the case, then hopefully we can see Hughes and Tickle and Thelo for us next season and hopefully in the Championship the year after. If not, they're on long contracts which mean we can cash in and continue to develop our younger academy players into valuable assets which can help the club move back up to Championship level.

Not many Championship sides will have the type of money to offer the size of fee we'd want. I think the biggest threat would be from Prem sides who see him as 'one for the future' and would sign him now to either put him in their youth system or take him and then loan him out to get more experience.

But the size of fee i imagine we'd want, i could see Prem clubs thinking it's a lot for a L1 player with only 1 full season and they may want to see him push on a little more before committing that type of money. So i don't think it's out of the question he is still here next season, as i think he's going to be valued very highly by us and i'm not sure other clubs will value he quite to that level yet.

If Prem clubs do come in this summer I could see it being the likes of Brentford and Brighton who are known for finding lower league gems.
I agree KDZ. As good as the likes Hughes (& Tickle) are/will be in the future, I believe neither are ready just yet to make the leap to the greed league.

Brilliant. Not having a pop here WBL, but I think your assessment of him going backwards under this manager might be somewhat off target. ... or just you being a little too pissed off with Maloney.

Absolutely superb. There's no question how much he has come on this season. Technically, menatally and physically he is our most gifted player. It's easy to forget how young and inexperienced he is, and I think that's why some unfairly expect him to be faultless every game

Brilliant. Not having a pop here WBL, but I think your assessment of him going backwards under this manager might be somewhat off target. ... or just you being a little too pissed off with Maloney.

The lads got talent. No doubt about that. Just think when he as Goode at the side of him he’s not as good. Was outstanding before Christmas. With Morrison. When he was in Charge of the defence. Let’s hope he wins it.

And to think all these who liked Richardson only for Kolo. He wouldn’t have got near the first team. As Richardson thought Tilt was better. Well done kolo. The only thing you got Correct

What ever did Morrison do to upset Maloney. A long clearance? Pass the ball forwards? Take on the opposition with a run?
JR ... pleased ... give it a rest ... you're just full of bile, and it not good for you.

Pointing out negative elements is fine ... regurgitating them repeatedly is tedious in the extreme.
You're a good lad ... you don't like Maloney ... or his style, we get that ... but turning every response to every topic into a negative is nonsensical.

:shrug:

What ever did Morrison do to upset Maloney. A long clearance? Pass the ball forwards? Take on the opposition with a run?
Probably said something. Needs game time so we won’t see him in a Wigan shirt again. The lads quality never panics. I will keep an eye on is progress trouble is we as fans told get told why he’s not playing.

JR ... pleased ... give it a rest ... you're just full of bile, and it not good for you.

Pointing out negative elements is fine ... regurgitating them repeatedly is tedious in the extreme.
You're a good lad ... you don't like Maloney ... or his style, we get that ... but turning every response to every topic into a negative is nonsensical.

Reckon we could have a debate on here about the Fans Fund or Sponsors or Car Parking etc and JR would turn the issue into something to criticise Maloney for. We get it, he doesn't like him, but unlike FB (who has made some good points about the club), JR's obsession with slating Maloney does get monotonous

To be fair to JR, its hard to find positives this season with Maloney's style.
Loads of long standing fans near us in the West Stand who have put up with some shite over the years are rebelling against him and are sick of it.
I agree, he has got the results we needed over the season, but playing like we do has to stop, its just so fucking horrible to watch.
It will ultimately drive people away.