chairman Chat - October | Page 2 | Vital Football

chairman Chat - October

Do we have the 16th highest budget in League One, or as Steve Evans insists, the lowest? I am also concerned that there appears to be no succession planning by the chairman - he is well into his 60s and has already had one heart attack so surely this needs to be addressed.
He’ll no doubt have a will that’s been written in the last 10 years. But don’t forget he also has a (recently enlarged) board of directors. I personally don’t know whether to be reassured or not if I start seeing his son alongside him in these chairman chats!

Have you been blocked by the forum then? I remember you saying that you couldn’t find it?

Quite possibly.

I haven’t posted on there for yonks so doubt I’ve been “banned” as such. Although I’d often pop in to check out “the vibe”.

But about 2 or 3 weeks ago, the whole thing just disappeared off my Facebook. Can’t see it, doesn’t even come up in searches as a group that I can’t join. Nothing 🤷‍♂️

I often take a pop at it from the other Facebook pages (and on here) maybe someone’s taken offence and blocked me. Or it might just be a Facebook glitch at my end. Can see all the other Gills Facebook sites.

I’d be interested to hear what Graham “Fred” Perry is saying about it all. I bet it’s kicking off big time over there 👍

Do we have the 16th highest budget in League One, or as Steve Evans insists, the lowest? I am also concerned that there appears to be no succession planning by the chairman - he is well into his 60s and has already had one heart attack so surely this needs to be addressed.
I think that was last season. It is possible we were I believe near the bottom last season and have moved up without paying out any more due to the teams being promoted. I think there is also a different interpretation Scally saying 1st team squad. Other teams having more players not in the first team may be below with Scally and above us with Evans.

Interesting he mentioned that the events at the Factory was planned.

On assumption here , I am assuming someone associated with the club has been monitoring the chat on the Facebook page and saw enough that they tipped off the police of potential trouble. It would explain why there were police there videoing people.

I thought it was a pretty good interview all in all if a bit over long.
Scally has clearly had enough and personally, I don’t blame him.
I hope that he is successful in his prosecution.

I thought it interesting that he confirmed my theory that there has never been a serious offer to buy the club.
A few said, how do we know.
Well, now we know from the horse’s mouth.
I’m still convinced that should he ever receive a serious offer, he’d be off like a shot, but until then, he’s stuck with a business that he has fallen out of love with.
I found the bit about actually running the club interesting.
We get a lot of news from Bristol down here and a prime example of careful what you wish for is Bristol Rovers.
A new wealthy owner who has apparently put in over twenty million of his own money but understands little about how to run a club. He appointed a CEO with no experience and they have had many issues.
Should he decide he’s had enough of the money pit, they would certainly fold.

So Scally Out numpties is now not a phrase to be used, but idiots and fools please, which they are! I think PS does want to sell, and these idiots will put these potential buyers off. Let's show them what a club we can be, like we did against Charlton. Get the ground rocking tonight! 🙂

He’ll no doubt have a will that’s been written in the last 10 years. But don’t forget he also has a (recently enlarged) board of directors. I personally don’t know whether to be reassured or not if I start seeing his son alongside him in these chairman chats!

He has recently enlarged the number of Associate Directors which are different from Executive Directors of which we have only one (Mike Quarrington). In a lazy simplification, Associate Directors are often seen as PAs to the Executive Directors. Only Executive Directors are fully paid up members of the board of directors, whereas Associate Directors less so.

If Paul Scally did suddenly find himself in a position where he was not in a position to work, Mike Quarrington would effectively become the chairman if no other plans were in place.

In terms of Scally's children, I have no idea what either Max or Angel are like and if they have been studying finance or business studies. Maybe they aren't completely ignorant of business and their positions are them learning business.

Interesting to see who those other Associate Directors are. I don't think Colin Jarvis needs any introduction and if MEMS doesn't sponsor the club next season then it probably isn't because of the rumour that he and Scally had a falling out and weren't on speaking terms.
Damien South is director of a construction company (helped refurb The Factory? There to build a new stadium??).
Can't find much about Bob (Robert?) Cogger as there seems to be a load of company directors called with that name. Did see someone suggest he might be involved with a cricket club and/or the Take Mercy charity of which if the later is true would explain his area of control as an associate.

Just checked the group in FB. Mr Perry, Fred, Graham, Martin, delete as appropriate... He seems to be backtracking on everything, and denies anything to do with the flyover, and that the trouble inside the ground was the Scally In group, not the Scally Outs... lol

He has recently enlarged the number of Associate Directors which are different from Executive Directors of which we have only one (Mike Quarrington). In a lazy simplification, Associate Directors are often seen as PAs to the Executive Directors. Only Executive Directors are fully paid up members of the board of directors, whereas Associate Directors less so.

If Paul Scally did suddenly find himself in a position where he was not in a position to work, Mike Quarrington would effectively become the chairman if no other plans were in place.

In terms of Scally's children, I have no idea what either Max or Angel are like and if they have been studying finance or business studies. Maybe they aren't completely ignorant of business and their positions are them learning business.

Interesting to see who those other Associate Directors are. I don't think Colin Jarvis needs any introduction and if MEMS doesn't sponsor the club next season then it probably isn't because of the rumour that he and Scally had a falling out and weren't on speaking terms.
Damien South is director of a construction company (helped refurb The Factory? There to build a new stadium??).
Can't find much about Bob (Robert?) Cogger as there seems to be a load of company directors called with that name. Did see someone suggest he might be involved with a cricket club and/or the Take Mercy charity of which if the later is true would explain his area of control as an associate.

Good post Bob.i think Mike Quarrington is listed as non executive director though.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/club/whos-who/

Not sure what difference it makes on a day to day basis I.e. non executive or executive

My cynical view is that Associate Director comes with privileges eg boardroom hospitality etc. Something you may want to provide to the sponsors as a means of thankyou. I would not have thought they have much say in strategic direction or decision making at the club. Might be wrong though.

Last edited:
It’s not speculation. They were the wrong people because they don’t have the cash.

When you put an offer in for a house, the estate agent will usually ask to see bank statements or proof of equity in a current property to assess whether you are a genuine buyer or whether you are a time waster. It’s no different when buying a football club or any other business.

Agreed.

There are a lot of weirdos out there. I can't remember the team involved but in the 90's someone went through the process of making an offer and speaking to the press..... only for it to come to light that the bloke was a Walter Mitty type character.

Another point re funding - what we DO NOT WANT is a leveraged buy out type deal. Will kill us.

I'd like to think that PDPS would only let us go to a custodian who will behave the right way.

I'd like to think that PDPS would only let us go to a custodian who will behave the right way.

Being open to that possibility is all I ask. A fresh start with a new owner, with the means to deliver progress. That might be just the lift that is needed to grow the fanbase.

It's shrinking right now at least those who actually attend games both home and away. In years gone by we would have filled that stand at Wycombe as an example.

Do people believe Scally can grow the fan base ?

I think thats the key question I'd like his staunchest supporters to answer.

It's shrinking right now at least those who actually attend games both home and away. In years gone by we would have filled that stand at Wycombe as an example.

That's an interesting one, I'd like to see if it's club specific or a trend that clubs like ours are seeing eg as a result the yoof being more interested in watching premier league on the box?

I used to go to all home games and a few away (Wycombe being one) but these days I don't have time.

Being open to that possibility is all I ask. A fresh start with a new owner, with the means to deliver progress. That might be just the lift that is needed to grow the fanbase.

I think that the point, can Scally increase the fan base is slightly irrelevant at this time.
Many businesses, and I include lower league football in this, are not in expansion mode but more like survival mode.
If progress is promotion to the championship then I’m afraid that we are absolutely light years away from that.
What would serve Gills well is a decent run of form to be pushing for the top six after Xmas or alternatively a real relegation battle.
Either would see crowds increase.

Just checked the group in FB. Mr Perry, Fred, Graham, Martin, delete as appropriate... He seems to be backtracking on everything, and denies anything to do with the flyover, and that the trouble inside the ground was the Scally In group, not the Scally Outs... lol

Gold 😁

There’s a guy said today on the GITB group that he was “behind it”. Luke someone. On here at all?

And it’s funny how there seem to be a few folk now on that Facebook group, all today claiming it wasn’t them that caused trouble and “you’d be shocked to see who caused it”. Eh?

I think that the point, can Scally increase the fan base is slightly irrelevant at this time.
Many businesses, and I include lower league football in this, are not in expansion mode but more like survival mode.
If progress is promotion to the championship then I’m afraid that we are absolutely light years away from that.
What would serve Gills well is a decent run of form to be pushing for the top six after Xmas or alternatively a real relegation battle.
Either would see crowds increase.

I should have bean clearer - what's the five year plan.

Survival mode right now I agree but what's the plan for the rest of this decade and can he deliver it.

Gold 😁

There’s a guy said today on the GITB group that he was “behind it”. Luke someone. On here at all?

And it’s funny how there seem to be a few folk now on that Facebook group, all today claiming it wasn’t them that caused trouble and “you’d be shocked to see who caused it”. Eh?

Maybe Mark's real name is Luke...? 😉

That's an interesting one, I'd like to see if it's club specific or a trend that clubs like ours are seeing eg as a result the yoof being more interested in watching premier league on the box?

I used to go to all home games and a few away (Wycombe being one) but these days I don't have time.

Fair points. There are six clubs in non league with higher attendances than us.

My only guess if they have renewed belief in their clubs direction. That's all I ask.

I’m not his staunchest supporter by any means. But -

Quick look at our average attendances since we dropped out the Championship.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-gillingham/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2814

Our highest attendances have pretty much been when we’ve had winning seasons. Pretty logical really. Even got higher attendances when we won Div2 under MA than some of our better seasons in Div1.

So, want to increase the fan base? Win games. Simple really.

One thing that surprised me in these figures after all the recent doom and gloom is that the past 3 seasons (obviously excluding the no crowd season) we’ve gone up each year. 4.8k, 5.1k and this season 5.2k (although not many games and 2 big away crowds maybe skewing the figure).

I’m not his staunchest supporter by any means. But -

Quick look at our average attendances since we dropped out the Championship.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-gillingham/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2814

Our highest attendances have pretty much been when we’ve had winning seasons. Pretty logical really. Even got higher attendances when we won Div2 under MA than some of our better seasons in Div1.

So, want to increase the fan base? Win games. Simple really.

One thing that surprised me in these figures after all the recent doom and gloom is that the past 3 seasons (obviously excluding the no crowd season) we’ve gone up each year. 4.8k, 5.1k and this season 5.2k (although not many games and 2 big away crowds maybe skewing the figure).

I'd seriously question this years figure at 5.2. Only Charlton and Sunderland were above 6 (of which 2K were visitors) that I can remember.

We've had a couple that looked well below 4 but we're unannounced

Let me see if I can find them