chairman Chat - October | Vital Football

chairman Chat - October

So I am going to be in the minority on this thread but its a discussion board so lets discuss it.

Obviously Saturday has upset him and I get that - no one wants to be unpopular, abused or attacked. Its up to you whether you believe everything he said. All speculation if we did discuss it.

Interesting that he said Income is down but made no mention of how to address that e.g. any ticket promotions. Good to hear that the ticket office will be open on a Friday - that's a good move and I hope those who can't/won't do e-tickets take advantage. Pleased to see him yield a bit on the tickets. A bit more humility and willingness to change will help long term

Not sure why he kept repeating what does scally out mean when clearly it means people want him to sell the club. He touched on the fact that people have made offers but they weren't the right people or didn't pass the "funding test". At least that dismisses the notion than no one is interested in a provisional third tier club. No much point on debating why they were wrong people as just speculation on our part.

Interesting that he named the specific facebook group and people on it. I'm no lawyer but presumably you need proof before accusing people. I guess that's their fight if they choose to have it.

Bottom line I'm not sure that chat helps heal the rift between club and some fans but maybe we need to go through the pain of his proposed actions before the healing can begin.

Don’t get me wrong the usual cringing moments but investors (which may not materialise) but I do genuinely believe that if someone came in offered his value of the club with proof of funds he would go.
Sometimes we forget that he has 26 years of running a football club and that knowledge is invaluable IMO, if I had the funds I would be asking him to stay for two or three years as a hand over

He was querying what does Scally out mean perhaps because I’ve had lots of answers to that quoted at me when I’ve tried reasoning with them. Indeed one of them today was arguing that we’d be better off if the club went bust and a phoenix club emerged in non league. I can’t believe that there are more than a few fanatics that would agree with that.

As I’ve said before, announcing the club is up for sale is a sure fire way of creating a crisis club where one doesn’t exist. Any credible buyer that had the funds and was serious would come forward and would certainly not stay silent. The silence indicates to me that Scally is right about credible investors.

I really enjoyed the bits where he talked about the model for the football pyramid and the future of the football league structure. He speaks with authority on that topic and it was insightful. I also really pleased he dismissed the speculation about offers being rejected.

I do understand the points he is making about the ScallyOut numpties but the way he does it is so cringeworthy. I really think he’s digging a hole for himself from a PR perspective. In my view, he’d have been better off just reporting facts... ...there was a fight, some fans were ejected for abusing staff and the club will take action against those people. Instead he’s washing the dirty laundry in public.

He touched on the fact that people have made offers but they weren't the right people or didn't pass the "funding test". At least that dismisses the notion than no one is interested in a provisional third tier club. No much point on debating why they were wrong people as just speculation on our part

It’s not speculation. They were the wrong people because they don’t have the cash.

When you put an offer in for a house, the estate agent will usually ask to see bank statements or proof of equity in a current property to assess whether you are a genuine buyer or whether you are a time waster. It’s no different when buying a football club or any other business.

I thought it was excellent. I'm surprised he's put up with this nonsense for so long. Agreed with everything he said.

I'm not a Scally "lover". I accept that perhaps he is holding on for a deal that would leave him in power or make him some money, but overall I'm with him.

Already seen grossly distorted versions of what he said on Youtube which just confims my opinion.

Not sure why he kept repeating what does scally out mean when clearly it means people want him to sell the club.

Bottom line I'm not sure that chat helps heal the rift between club and some fans but maybe we need to go through the pain of his proposed actions before the healing can begin.
I think I am total with you on the message that Scally kept repeating as if in hope it will go away .Many have rightly pointed out there is no plan how this could be achieved. A bit like you asking you neighbour's to move out their homes without them wishing too.Healing is it seems the main and very serious problem. While nobody has really explained how Scally can walk away if we don't have anyone interested in buying the club. Also nobody that I have read has come up with any alternative ideas to mine of have a vote to elect a fans representation. That would hopefully be able to talk to the chairman and try to solve the current and future problems and build a bigger fan base.While the protesters believe they are right and the only response is what does that mean? If you want a legal fight I will give you one. it seems things will get worse .Sad though that is surely it is.
This board who should look for answers.That hopefully soon will be listened too.
I beg others to come up with ways of knitting the club back together.

Last edited:
To be fair chris it's probably too late to knit the fans back together. The only real solution is for the scally outers to walk away and leave him to it. If he goes ahead with his bans that will get rid of some and others may then just voluntarily stop going.

Hard to say how many fans might feel that way. Have to look at average attendances this and next season.

I don't see how your fans voice will ever be feasible unless people want to argue its not an autocracy at Gillingham. It looks that way to me and that means your idea is a non starter.

Best advice I can give is try not to let all the crap bother you. Go to games when you can and enjoy it as best you can. I really enjoyed Saturdays game and can't wait for tomorrow albeit I'm not expecting anywhere near the level of atmosphere (the good bits) we had Saturday.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the bits where he talked about the model for the football pyramid and the future of the football league structure. He speaks with authority on that topic and it was insightful. I also really pleased he dismissed the speculation about offers being rejected.

I do understand the points he is making about the ScallyOut numpties but the way he does it is so cringeworthy. I really think he’s digging a hole for himself from a PR perspective. In my view, he’d have been better off just reporting facts... ...there was a fight, some fans were ejected for abusing staff and the club will take action against those people. Instead he’s washing the dirty laundry in public.

100% agree Trashy. It was a very good chairman’s chat. But he should just steer clear of all the Scally out stuff other than noting it has occurred and will be dealt with.

I wonder if any of those found guilty of whatever charge, could or would be banned from attending away games? It seems they are most vocal and antagonistic at those games. 2 of the main instigators even going into away game hospitality and directors areas to try to get into his space and his vision. They seem to be borderline stalkers.

Although the fact they haven’t attended home games for years means they aren’t in line for bans in this instant.

To be fair chris it's probably too late to knit the fans back together.

I don't see how your fans voice will ever be feasible unless people want to argue its not an autocracy at Gillingham. It looks that way to me and that means your idea is a non starter.
You and others at times paint a picture of Scally not willing to sit down with anyone.That is not true he does .However I would agree it seem a unlikely end but it is the only one I believe that could build the fan base .Scally's current plan seems more likely to simply take more people away as you say.

You and others at times paint a picture of Scally not willing to sit down with anyone.That is not true he does .However I would agree it seem a unlikely end but it is the only one I believe that could build the fan base .Scally's current plan seems more likely to simply take more people away as you say.

Just my opinion chris. While he may sit down and listen to other views you have to ask whether you believe he would ever change his view based on the feedback received.

I don't think he would. Others may disagree.

Just my opinion chris. While he may sit down and listen to other views you have to ask whether you believe he would ever change his view based on the feedback received.

I don't think he would. Others may disagree.
It simply would depend a lot on who he was asked to listen too .These protesters will never change a thing that is for sure.Could someone like Jogills or Trashbat (for example?) Who knows unless it is tried.

As always, Paul took 10 minutes to say what could have been said in 2, but overall he came across pretty well. So while the subject matter was negative, this chat gets a thumbs up from me. The point about the overall damage to the club and the upset to other fans was very well made. Some (not all) of the anti-Scally brigade are pretty unpleasant in how they interact with others and they are completely incapable of having a reasoned debate. While I think some massive errors have been made with ticketing and the thinness of the squad, the Chairman still has my support. Because he's right - if he goes without a buyer lined up, our club would be in big, big trouble.

Intriguing that PS has also (for the first time I can think of) actually mentioned by name those he’s “targeting”. And aiming squarely at “that particular Facebook forum”.

I bet they are all laughing and goading and mocking him now. While secretly and hurriedly contacting their lawyers and friends and maybe having a few sleepless nights, plus legal bills and compiling valid legal defences to worry about.

Is it full of bravado over on there does anyone know?

Intriguing that PS has also (for the first time I can think of) actually mentioned by name those he’s “targeting”. And aiming squarely at “that particular Facebook forum”.

I bet they are all laughing and goading and mocking him now. While secretly and hurriedly contacting their lawyers and friends and maybe having a few sleepless nights, plus legal bills and compiling valid legal defences to worry about.

Is it full of bravado over on there does anyone know?

Have you been blocked by the forum then? I remember you saying that you couldn’t find it?

Do we have the 16th highest budget in League One, or as Steve Evans insists, the lowest? I am also concerned that there appears to be no succession planning by the chairman - he is well into his 60s and has already had one heart attack so surely this needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
As always, Paul took 10 minutes to say what could have been said in 2, but overall he came across pretty well. So while the subject matter was negative, this chat gets a thumbs up from me. The point about the overall damage to the club and the upset to other fans was very well made. Some (not all) of the anti-Scally brigade are pretty unpleasant in how they interact with others and they are completely incapable of having a reasoned debate. While I think some massive errors have been made with ticketing and the thinness of the squad, the Chairman still has my support. Because he's right - if he goes without a buyer lined up, our club would be in big, big trouble.
EE you know he wouldn’t go without selling, thats just an empty threat from him and disingenuous too.
I do appreciate that he's trying to sell though.
We know he’s more concerned about the anti Scally mob really because he’s trying to convince would be buyers that he be included to stay on in the deal, as i believe he wants to have investors put money in, with him staying on to look after it and they’re obviously diluting his standing.
Which is why no deal is likely to come off in imho.
Likewise not releasing the low crowd figures which would again undermine a selling point.
So i guess a workable deal would include him not being involved and then howmuch ?! Back to the age old problem of what they value the biz at v what he values it at.
No chance of anything happening i’m afraid.