Chairboys away | Vital Football

Chairboys away

Cueball

Vital Reserves Team
Two mid table teams both trying to reach the 50 point safe zone so fingers crossed might make for an entertaining game. I reckon we'll have enough to see them off so I'm going for a 1-2 away win.

I'm torn between 7-0 to us (cos Frankie says our players are the best in the league) and 7-0 to them (cos Maloney's shite, useless, tactically inept, etc,) or a mundane 0-0 borefest (cos Jeff's Right says ... summatorother.)

Then again, it might be 0-2.

Looking at the stats Wycombe they are 16th best team at home with 6 wins, 6 draws and 6 loses. 14th best attack and defence scoring 47 and conceding 39.

In their last 8 games they have beaten 3 of the relegation battlers then lost 3, drawn 1 and won 1 against the promotion chasers, so they are in reasonable form considering they've had a tough run of fixtures.

They've got low possession, low pass accuracy, low passes per game but a high number of long balls and aerial duels per game, so they are very much a direct side. They are one of the better sides for set pieces and have managed to win quite a lot of penalties.

Their most influential players is Luke Lehay who takes all of their set pieces and is the top scorers and assister with 8 and 7 assists but most of those are penalties or free kicks. Next top scorer only has 5 and then they have a few with 4 goals or less. With their style of play their target man Sam Vokes is obviously crucial to win those knock downs and flick ons, so if we can deal with that we probably nullify a lot of their threat in open play. I also noticed they signed central mid Matt Butcher from Plymouth in the January window, he's always looked a decent player from what i've seen so i was surprised they were able to get him and higher placed L1 teams weren't interested.

They were completely toothless at our place but i suspect they'll be a lot more competitive tonight. I think with their set piece threat we may see us being mindful about the height in our side, so i could see Maloney opting to keep Goode in and bring back Clare despite Kerr and Scott Smith doing enough to gets starts. It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring Shaw in, but i'm not sure we will.

Tthe pattern this season has been this is the type of game against lower table opposition we normally go to sleep for. They'll want to bully us and make it a battle and in those type of away games we've often just not matched the oppositions work rate or intensity. If we can match them our quality will pull us through, but i think as most games it comes down to our own mentality on the night.

If Tinkerbell allows the players more than two attempts at goal we may get another scrawpy 1-0 win.

I wonder how many changes tonight, half the bloody outfield players again?

Team tonight.

Latics: Tickle, Hughes, Morrison, Goode, Chambers, Adeeko, S.Smith, J.Smith, Aasgaard, Humphrys, Magennis (Capt).

Subs: Amos,

McManaman injured, Jonny Smith gets a start. Matt Smith and Jordan Jones also replaced with Humphrys and Morrison.