Central Heating chicken. | Vital Football

Central Heating chicken.

Used to love the winter,now we are 70 hate it,luckily we sod off to Singapore and move in with eldest daughter for as long as they can tolerate us,just miss the Gills though.

Bloody soft Southerners :yes:

I've just looked at the thermostat in the kitchen and it reads 13.4C. I don't put the heating on till October.

AND I'M F*CK*NG FREEZING :shrug:

24 in our house. The heating's been on for a couple of weeks now. I'm wearing shorts!

I did have one radiator on yesterday morning for about an hour. And I’m in a flat that is generally boiling. Back to door and windows open today.

I thought that this thread was about a new way of dishing it up, could make a mess on the radiator though

Just discovered a minor gas leak at our gaff, so no heating or hot water until it's sorted. Joy.

Is it odd to like that smell of burning dust on electrical components?

I quite like the smell of road tar cooking too.

HATE the smell of cucumber though :sick:

Wearing shorts and short sleeved shirt.

Heating off. Will have to put it on when the missus gets back from holiday.

In shorts and sandals and frozen. There shall be no change until October 1st. Without structure and rules, we're just animals.

Funny thread. I yielded and put it on yesterday - just to test it prior to winter of course. Some of the temperature settings though, you lot must be loaded, mine doesn't go above 20oC.

I am actually thinking of getting rid of the gas boiler and fitting an air to water heat pump. Anyone got one ?

My skinless chicken thighs have been on the lounge radiator all afternoon and still not cooked through yet. I've tried poaching fish wrapped in a poly bag in the dishwasher (and it works a treat) but Vambo's central heating chicken recipe needs some work.

Funny thread. I yielded and put it on yesterday - just to test it prior to winter of course. Some of the temperature settings though, you lot must be loaded, mine doesn't go above 20oC.

I am actually thinking of getting rid of the gas boiler and fitting an air to water heat pump. Anyone got one ?

Yes Mark. I have got an air source heat pump. We had to look at all sorts of options to get enough "environmental points" for a new build. Certainly a better option than ground source but not sure if it is more economical than Gas? (We can't get gas). We have had it for about 6 years now but I seem to recall that they are best if used with under-floor heating, rather than old fashioned radiators. We also fitted "solar tiles" which offsets the cost of the electricity. I do mean solar tiles and not panels by the way.

Best thing that we did was to put in a large grey water tank to collect rainwater from the roof to flush the toilets and water the garden*, I reckon that is saving us £'s. We told the water board what we were doing but they have still changed the water meter at least twice because they can't believe how little water we use.

*Some people use the grey water for washing clothes and their dishes but we didn't actually fancy that.

Thanks Bert. Are you in the UK ? Would love to know a bit more about solar tiles.

I am laying UFH as part of an extension/garage conversion so thats the attraction of the heat pump. I have been reading that the latest versions can also give you domestic hot water. I have laso read you need to upgrade your radiators to make use of the lower temperatures

I need that to be the case to ditch the gas boiler. In terms of running costs I don't think there will be a massive saving on mains gas that I have now but the government RHI will help offset that. I also think that gas prices will only go one way but there are options for electricity generation so hopefully that will not increase at the same rate as gas.
Losing one standing charge all helps as well if I can ditch gas completely.

Just looking at the feasibility at the moment.

Underfloor heating only works if you never get sun. As soon as the sun starts to warm a room, the heating switches off. But it takes about 12 hours to lose the residual heat in the system. So combined with the sun, the room is too hot and you have to ventilate it.

Once the sun goes in and the room cools, it then takes about 12 hours for the underfloor heating to warm it up, during which time you're cold. And the cycle starts again.

It's sh*t.

Glad I read that as I was thinking of under floor heating for the flat we've just bought. I'd never heard that before but, on thinking about it it does make sense.
At the moment, we have a sort of modern version of the storage heater. Much slimmer and more controllable but I'm still not convinced they are that economical so we're looking at different options.

Underfloor heating only works if you never get sun. As soon as the sun starts to warm a room, the heating switches off. But it takes about 12 hours to lose the residual heat in the system. So combined with the sun, the room is too hot and you have to ventilate it.

Once the sun goes in and the room cools, it then takes about 12 hours for the underfloor heating to warm it up, during which time you're cold. And the cycle starts again.

It's sh*t.

I was thinking that it worked in a similar way to storage heaters i.e. the big old concrete slab warms up (either through the sun or through warm water) and then slowly releases it. UFH water is a lot lower temperature than normal radiators. I think the idea is to have it as background heat.

The thermostat should keep the room at a constant temperature throughout the year

I have never had though so would welcome feedback from those who have.

The problem is the reaction time of the underfloor system. They're designed to work at a constant level. As I said, they take around 12 hours to react to temperature changes because of the small flow of water in the pipes.

Therefore, when sun shines through a window it gives a thermal boost to the room which the underfloor system can't react to.

If you have no windows or no sun, you're ok. So a North facing room is alright. All other rooms, which in winter may only get sun through the windows for 2 or 3 hours give problems