Central Heating chicken. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Central Heating chicken.

24c outside , 28 in house.
Shorts , flip-flops and a ceiling fan.

Mark , solar stuff is getting a lot cheaper here. 200w panel is around 180€ , maybe cheaper. I'm on the public electric supply , and pay 80 ish a month. It's expensive , and solar is an attractive option here , with 320 days of sunshine a year.
It all boils down to the initial outlay .

I lit my burner on Saturday. It had been pissing down all day and it all felt a bit damp and miserable. Soon warmed up and felt dry again. Gonna have to go out wooding though- I got a few random logs but they'll soon go.

I lit my burner on Saturday. It had been pissing down all day and it all felt a bit damp and miserable. Soon warmed up and felt dry again. Gonna have to go out wooding though- I got a few random logs but they'll soon go.

More pollution , belching out of your bodge job chimney. No doubt out protesting for Greenpeace.

What did the Romans ever do for us? Hypocaust? Don't know what it is, but sounds really expensive.

Thanks Bert. Are you in the UK ? Would love to know a bit more about solar tiles.

I am laying UFH as part of an extension/garage conversion so thats the attraction of the heat pump. I have been reading that the latest versions can also give you domestic hot water. I have laso read you need to upgrade your radiators to make use of the lower temperatures

I need that to be the case to ditch the gas boiler. In terms of running costs I don't think there will be a massive saving on mains gas that I have now but the government RHI will help offset that. I also think that gas prices will only go one way but there are options for electricity generation so hopefully that will not increase at the same rate as gas.
Losing one standing charge all helps as well if I can ditch gas completely.

Just looking at the feasibility at the moment.

Hello Mark,

Yes I am in the UK but waiting for a hip and then a knee replacement so don't get to Gills games at the moment. We don't live in the Medway Towns but are in the "low Weald" between Maidstone and Cranbrook.

We don't have a problem with the underfloor heating but we had to install so much insulation to satisfy building regs that might be the reason. Additionally the main living room is "sort of " in the middle of the house because we have exterior quality double glazed folding doors leading onto a double glazed sun-lounge.

Our heat pump is over 6 years old now and yes, it does give us domestic hot water.

I have to confess that the solar tiles are more expensive than panels. We went with them for two reasons: -
1. Firstly we don't like the look of solar panels whereas we were able to buy ordinary tiles that have a similar appearance to the solar ones so you don't really notice them as much as you would the panels.
2. Secondly we don't like the way that solar panels stand proud of the roof. We haven't had another hurricane since panels began being used and we were worried that the wind could get underneath the panels and damage them and the roof. OK I know that they are supposed to be fixed to the underlying beams but we preferred to not take the risk.

Thanks for the reply Bert. Hope you get to go to some games again soon, but to be honest you haven't missed much over the last few seasons. The odd glimmer of a decent game but mainly pretty poor hoofball.

I like the idea of solar tiles but I think that might be a future investment. The cost of my current plans are spiraling away already.

Still keen on the heat pump though. I have a large open plan area to heat (approx 60M2) so am definitely keen on UFH.

I'll let you know how it goes (its a summer 2019 project).