Carlisle (H) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Carlisle (H)

Must win and expected win. We have a young squad but lets not pretend were the youngest in the league, there are teams with a less average age that perform and play better than us. Maloney needs to start getting firm again like we was last season and demand more, especially from midfield. We can't rely on Matt Smith to keep the team ticking. If the others are not upto it in his absence, then we need to find another. This is no dig at Adeeko and Scott Smith.

An average is a wonderful thing ... and can be different dependent on meaning (mean, median, mode, std dev, etc) as well as context of application.

What's in no doubt is that our "mean average" has been significantly upped by a very small number of of "senior" players, while the vast majority of minutes we've played this season has been by players under 23.

According to this site, only 3 teams (Lincoln, Posh and Reading) have older teams ... though as it's not clear if this is based on squad or playing time, we may be even better placed.

An average is a wonderful thing ... and can be different dependent on meaning (mean, median, mode, std dev, etc) as well as context of application.

What's in no doubt is that our "mean average" has been significantly upped by a very small number of of "senior" players, while the vast majority of minutes we've played this season has been by players under 23.

According to this site, only 3 teams (Lincoln, Posh and Reading) have older teams ... though as it's not clear if this is based on squad or playing time, we may be even better placed.

I thought I'd read somewhere that us and Reading have the youngest squads in the league, we've both a load of kids, with a few experienced pros mixed in

They haven’t won in 8 but will have over 4k away fans tonight. One thing we can’t do is let them gain any momentum in the game and give their supporters something to cheer. The biggest concern I have is them being up for it more than our players who have a habit of going through the motions and looking as though they expect to win games.

If we play like we did in the first half against Derby then it will just invite pressure. Hopefully this isn’t the case but if I’m being honest I expect another defeat tonight and think they’ll come away with a 2-0 win. I think our lack of attacking threat will be our downfall again.

They haven’t won in 8 but will have over 4k away fans tonight. One thing we can’t do is let them gain any momentum in the game and give their supporters something to cheer. The biggest concern I have is them being up for it more than our players who have a habit of going through the motions and looking as though they expect to win games.

If we play like we did in the first half against Derby then it will just invite pressure. Hopefully this isn’t the case but if I’m being honest I expect another defeat tonight and think they’ll come away with a 2-0 win. I think our lack of attacking threat will be our downfall again.
I think Maloney’s message is simple ‘if you don’t perform tonight you won’t be playing on Monday, 8
January’

Well the team line up didn't give me much confidence but wtf do I know.....regardless of opposition quality a win is a win & gives us a much needed confidence boost. The bench looked strong & it was good that any subs coming on would be a plus but game was won by time any were made. Also a big 👏👏👏 to the 4K Carlisle fans who were fairly vocal at the start but fairly quiet overall. Upwards and onwards for Barnsley & another 3 points