Cardiff ticket price increase | Page 7 | Vital Football

Cardiff ticket price increase

Well I'm glad you've got a few hundred quid to spend on attending a football match Durham, and a few extra quid is just a drop in the ocean for you.

Unfortunately, most of us live in the real world and a few extra quid here or there does actually make a difference.

Surely Durham is a parody poster?

I can afford it as I dont pay £70 per month for Sky or BT sport

I've said on here before that corporate comms is my business - reputation, narrative, media relations, stakeholder relationships. I've advised and developed strategies for the leaders of billion-pound organisations. I'd love the opportunity to sit down with Scally and help him out. He makes SO many unnecessary PR mistakes - primarily because of his short-term decision-making and inability to anticipate how things will be received. This pricing decision is simply the latest example.

I've said on here before that corporate comms is my business - reputation, narrative, media relations, stakeholder relationships. I've advised and developed strategies for the leaders of billion-pound organisations. I'd love the opportunity to sit down with Scally and help him out. He makes SO many unnecessary PR mistakes - primarily because of his short-term decision-making and inability to anticipate how things will be received. This pricing decision is simply the latest example.

I didn't realise this, Eager. Are you saying you'd offer some of your time, initially at least, to Scally for free?

If you are then first off, fcking good on you, but actually, more importantly, this would be a fantastic starting point for a decent campaign, not to get Scally Out necessarily but to at least get him to realise where he is going wrong. If he were to reject your offer, which I could well imagine him doing, then that would be a good firm basis for a Scally Out campaign.

But I'm not desperate for him to leave the club. I just want him to take less out, put more in, and learn how to not a) mug the supporters off and b) embarrass the club.

If we could get together a whole load of supporters' signatures to say they agree that Scally could benefit from some PR training and then send him an open letter including your offer and the signatures...

At the end of the day I'm a GFC fan so yes, I'd happily give Paul some advice for free. Whether he'd listen and change his approach is another matter (I've had clients who refuse to admit there's a better way of doing things!).

I'm sure there are very large numbers who would applaud you in this enterprise, but I fear that, like the treatment of addictions, the recipient first has to acknowledge that they have an issue.

The larger job is to convince Scally that he has.

It's pretty marginal to be honest, which pricing strategy would bring in the most fans. We of course all love the idea of gestures to make occasional fans feel wanted but they have to respond to make the gesture worth making.

I think Scally can sometimes get his internal PR wrong and it's a pity he doesn't have a trusted ear to run stuff by before shooting. On the actual money side I'm not at all sure he always gets it so wrong. I've said before that building support is a long, slow process and the pricing of individual games is not a big factor at all.

A plague on Sky and all its works. You may say it does football very well, which may be true, but it does football harm and shapes perceptions. It is not only no longer the game of the working classes; it is no longer the game of real world fans. The Sky version belongs to armchair watchers, smartphone gamblers and an army of devotees with but a wek attachment to the game itself. We can do little about that but I don't much enjoy televised football apart from the World Cup and the F A Cup.

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that Durham is fundamentally a wind up merchant. I do not believe much of what he posts - okay he may be a wealthy businessman and former Medway resident who has moved away and followed GFC for many years but that is for him to know and not really relevant even if true. If he is/was genuinely one of us then I am sure he would have views more aligned to the majority on here. I am sure he shares our despondency about how the club has gone and the clear lack of ambition that is all too apparent. Often he posts his so called support for Scally knowing it will get a reaction but I am not convinced those are his real heart felt views at all. I invite him to come clean and admit it or is he just prolonging the wind-up?

I think Scally can sometimes get his internal PR wrong and it's a pity he doesn't have a trusted ear to runs stuff by before shooting. On the actual money side I'm not at all sure he always gets it so wrong.

I agree. It's a question of how you communicate the reason for a decision and when. So the announcement of these ticket prices should have been accompanied by a clear rationale for why they have been set so high. It's not rocket science!

I tend to agree Gimmer.
I don't think that he's a wealthy business man but then to be fair, I don't think that he has ever claimed to be.
I feel that he is more of a senior(ish) manager within a large(ish) company who over states his own importance.

Before the referendum he was publicly saying that if the vote was to leave, he would immediately lay off dozens of staff.
The next minute, he's talking about being involved in the refit of The Factory, so hardly ICI is it?

His stance on always supporting any decision that the club makes, no matter how ridiculous, does smack of a windup, doesn't it?

Durham is well down on any speculative list of wind up merchants on this site. He sometimes winds me up but I don't believe it's intentional , he posts what he thinks. There are a few posters, who almost always start deliberately provocative threads and he's not one of them. I would guess that the vast majority of posters on fans' sites post stuff that is strongly critical of chairmen, much of it irrational. I have done it myself and sometimes felt a little better.

The opposite, or a diferent opinion is usually worth listening to and sometimes it's essential. It might not make you do a U-turn but it might make you appreciate the reasons for the opinion. I think that is what EagerExile is saying from the other side of the fence so to speak.

Scally is stuck too far up his own arse to accept he needs to improve certain skills.

Look he's been Chairman for 23 years, I admire the attempt to offer him some advice but it really would fall on deaf ears. Scally seems an incredibly stubborn man.

Even after the ST debacle when lots of Gills supporting families were pissed off, he backtracked slightly but had to end his statement with "to those that don't like it you can go and support Charlton"

Obviously Paul Scally has had years of being a successful businessman but he is a walking PR disaster.

This is why as supporters we should make ourselves heard. We all agree (except Durham!) that Scally is a "walking PR disaster" so as supporters we make it known we feel this way and insist he takes some advice and acts upon it. If he wont or doesn't then we start a campaign. I think the media would love the story almost as much as Scally would hate it...

I'll be in the Rainham End on boxing day leading the chants of 'WE WANT SCALLY TO IMPROVE HIS PR SKILLS SAY WE WANT SCALLY TO IMPROVE HIS PR SKILLS' I'm also going to order a banner and set up a Facebook group.

When I said start a campaign I meant a Scally Out campaign not a Get Scally Some PR Skills campaign!

Well there were 2 banners at Herne Bay last night inviting Mr Scally to depart along with a "GFC Loyal" England flag with Gate 13 on it!

Oh the speculation is really funny, especially as I will have met most of you at matches.

Like everyone PS has his faults but on the whole he is a decent owner and there are far worse.

Owning a insignificant provincial club with little hope of ever reaching and maintaining Premiership status club is a mugs game, if it had been me I would have taken a bucket of cash and run years ago.

Durham is real, he just revels in his contrarian lone wolf role and plays up to the crowd sometimes.

Oh the speculation is really funny, especially as I will have met most of you at matches.

Like everyone PS has his faults but on the whole he is a decent owner and there are far worse.

Owning a insignificant provincial club with little hope of ever reaching and maintaining Premiership status club is a mugs game, if it had been me I would have taken a bucket of cash and run years ago.
If it was a mug’s game he would have left ages ago, but instead he stays and pays himself millions over the past few years out of the club’s budget.