Callum Lang | Page 2 | Vital Football

Callum Lang

I think it was more in centre mid he was nearly always getting the ball with his back to goal and was getting out muscled and crowded out as he tried to hold off a defender and turn. He struggled to really do much under Richardson when we played him up front for the same reasons.

But when he was out wide he could pick up the ball deeper, facing goal and run at players which was what he was best at.

I think playing in the middle was playing to Lang's weaknesses while out wide played to his strengths.
I agree with everything you say, but, that goal against Portsmouth, he received the ball in centre field then with his back to goal, he turns the defender and tucks the goal away in the opposite corner. So that would seem to prove us wrong.

I agree with everything you say, but, that goal against Portsmouth, he received the ball in centre field then with his back to goal, he turns the defender and tucks the goal away in the opposite corner. So that would seem to prove us wrong.

Credit to Lang for his his goal, as you say it probably wasn't a typical goal he scores, but i'd still not fancy him to score as many in the middle as i would on the right based on his time with us.

I think it was more in centre mid he was nearly always getting the ball with his back to goal and was getting out muscled and crowded out as he tried to hold off a defender and turn. He struggled to really do much under Richardson when we played him up front for the same reasons.

But when he was out wide he could pick up the ball deeper, facing goal and run at players which was what he was best at.

I think playing in the middle was playing to Lang's weaknesses while out wide played to his strengths.
To be fair around 90% of the time under Richardson he played on the right but when he played as a 10 or upfront he did well, Lincoln, Cambridge, Portsmouth and Plymouth away spring to mind where he played centrally, he was great in all and scored in all.

Post Richardson he played probably 90% of games centrally and was poor but after Richardson it was a different style.

I think people are just connecting the fact that under long ball Richardson style he played most games on the right and unde a passing style most games centrally and are concentrating more on position than style of play.

Ball played over or through balls, for him to run onto with defenders on the turn he thrives on. Dropping deep, ball played to feet and having to turn with the ball just isn't Callum.

Played centrally again for Portsmouth today, another goal and assist feeding off balls over the top, at the start of the season against the same opponent for us, he played the same position and was awful.

As long as Mousinho keeps the long ball style, Lang will thrive at Pompey, at number 10, right or a second striker and people will soon realise it's not the position he was being asked to play under Maloney but more so he wasn't technically astute enough in a passing team and that was the reason behind his poor displays and being on the right would and did make no difference.

Sounds like he's enjoying his time here and wants a new contract. Says the atmosphere's fantastic in the dressing room. Amazing really when you consider that apparently, no-one wants to play for the manager. :rolleyes:

Think you've put this on the wrong thread Moonay....this is about Callum LANG not Callum Macmanaman....🤔😉

Think you've put this on the wrong thread Moonay....this is about Callum LANG not Callum Macmanaman....🤔😉
I'm a dozy barsteward !!!

I'll leave it here though (as it's just to illustrate a point) unless I can see a more appropriate thread on which to post it.

Ta Jock.

For whatever reason he was shit for us this, and last, season...wish him well though and happy he's found his mojo.
Do you not find it odd that Langy played well until Toure came along then went worse when Maloney got the job yet he's playing well and bangin' em in for Pompey. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Glad he's found a bit of form, big test for him is next year though assuming Pompey don't balls it up and fail to get promoted which is unlikely. Hopefully he rises to the challenge. We've always known he was capable at league 1

One thing i noticed in what the Pourtsmouth manager said they are playing to his strengths and getting him facing goal.

Lang is good at running at his men but he's not someone who was strong enough to pick up the ball facing our goal, while being man handled by a big centre back, spin him and get away. Unfortunately that is what he needed to do for us to get facing goal this season. He'd have had to deal with that a lot less in wide areas but the fact Pompey are getting so much out of him centrally shows it was more how we played him in the middle rather than he couldn't play there at all. I think a lot of that comes from them having Bishop up front who is a good target man, while we have struggled like crazy all season for a proper target man and it just makes everything so much harder if you have no hold up play - even if you aren't going long.

I think the issue is the same for anyone playing up front or as a central attacking mid in our side, they are nearly always receiving your ball with their back to goal. I think Aasgaards improvement in form has directly correlates as he's improved in holding off defenders.

The absolute priority this summer has to be signing a striker who can reliably hold up the ball. I think that is probably more important than their strike rate in Maloney's system as our striker generally works more for the team rather than the team working to put chances on for them.

One thing i noticed in what the Pourtsmouth manager said they are playing to his strengths and getting him facing goal.

Lang is good at running at his men but he's not someone who was strong enough to pick up the ball facing our goal, while being man handled by a big centre back, spin him and get away. Unfortunately that is what he needed to do for us to get facing goal this season. He'd have had to deal with that a lot less in wide areas but the fact Pompey are getting so much out of him centrally shows it was more how we played him in the middle rather than he couldn't play there at all. I think a lot of that comes from them having Bishop up front who is a good target man, while we have struggled like crazy all season for a proper target man and it just makes everything so much harder if you have no hold up play - even if you aren't going long.

I think the issue is the same for anyone playing up front or as a central attacking mid in our side, they are nearly always receiving your ball with their back to goal. I think Aasgaards improvement in form has directly correlates as he's improved in holding off defenders.

The absolute priority this summer has to be signing a striker who can reliably hold up the ball. I think that is probably more important than their strike rate in Maloney's system as our striker generally works more for the team rather than the team working to put chances on for them.
How about talking about our own players though
Lang has gone every respect for him for what he did
But that's it he is now just another clubs player