Bury | Page 26 | Vital Football

Bury

Just two examples of his poor literacy skills:

"it’s neither the truth or in the best interest of the Club"

..."neither" is normally followed by "nor" and not "or" which is usually preceded by "either."

Also: "May I thank the fellow Chairman’s..." Surely he meant to say "fellow chairmen..." instead?

Very poor article.

Their there.

There are rumours of apostrophes running down Gigg Lane and hiding in Black Puddings, to escape from the embarrassment of being used inappropriately in future Official Statements put out by Bury Football Club.

There are rumours of apostrophes running down Gigg Lane and hiding in Black Puddings, to escape from the embarrassment of being used inappropriately in future Official Statements put out by Bury Football Club.
It’s great that there’s not a single apostrophe in sight there, isn’t it. I recklessly threw three in to a thirteen word sentence congratulating you. Easily done. Splendid work.

Player exodus starts with Scott Burgess leaving for Port Vale.
Although he would probably have been released anyway, as he hadn't kicked a ball for Bury for two years. He's done well to find a League club - has been on loan to non-league clubs for the past two seasons.

You can almost picture him sneaking out of the back door and over the fence when no one was looking, then running like hell down Gigg Lane.

Bury club offices closed until further notice; club staff have allegedly received emails telling them their services are no longer required. Wages have not been paid yet.

EDIT: although the ticket office remains open, presumably hoping there is someone out there thinking of buying a season ticket...

There was a demonstration outside Dale's house yesterday by a few dozen angry fans; apparently his two sons came out of the house and started goading the fans and there was plenty of abuse in return. Hard to see what that achieved.

Last edited:
There is a fans forum taking place this evening with attendees from local radio and media. Being held at a venue in Whitefield after the closure of the intended venue at Gigg Lane. Television news and the players have also been invited - it will be interesting to read the outcome.

So what actually happens if Bury go bust on 19th June? Surely the judge was given definitive paperwork that showed a sale was near but nothing seems to have happened. It just seems to get a bigger and bigger mess! If I were a Bury fan I would be extremely angry and dejected at this point!

Do we have 1 less game next season or do Plymouth get a reprieve and take over Bury's fixtures? I have been told that it is League 2 that is likely to run with less teams but is that true?

Do we have 1 less game next season or do Plymouth get a reprieve and take over Bury's fixtures? I have been told that it is League 2 that is likely to run with less teams but is that true?

From Plymouth it's a fair trek to anywhere, but it would still be interesting if they took over Bury's festive season fixtures.

So what actually happens if Bury go bust on 19th June? Surely the judge was given definitive paperwork that showed a sale was near but nothing seems to have happened. It just seems to get a bigger and bigger mess! If I were a Bury fan I would be extremely angry and dejected at this point!

Considering at that point fixtures will be out the next day and Plymouth have prepared for league 2 football, I'd have thought the only viable option would be to have a 23 league team and only 3 Relegation places. Obviously that has knock on effects for the leagues below it as well.

Considering at that point fixtures will be out the next day and Plymouth have prepared for league 2 football, I'd have thought the only viable option would be to have a 23 league team and only 3 Relegation places. Obviously that has knock on effects for the leagues below it as well.

Do EFL clubs lodge a bond with the League? I know that happens in other leagues sometimes.
Asking as if Bury go bust and Lge1 drops to 23 teams then all clubs miss out on one home game and a bond could therefore compensate all the clubs.

From Plymouth it's a fair trek to anywhere, but it would still be interesting if they took over Bury's festive season fixtures.

At the end of the 2013-14 season Real Murcia contested the play offs for promotion from Spain's 2A Division to La Liga but got knocked out in the semi final.

During the close season the Spanish League demoted them for financial reasons. This would have put them in section 2B which is split into 4 regions. They would usually play in Group 4 which is for teams in the South of Spain.

After several legal challenges they were eventually demoted but by that time the fixtures were set. Mirandes, who finished 4th from bottom in 2A were reprieived, but they had been given fixtures in Group 1, which is for North West Spain. Real Murcia had to take over their fixtures.

Every single away journey they had in 2014-15 was between a 1,000 and 1,300 mile (and I do mean miles, not km) round trip.

To be fair, Tenerife, Las Palmas and other teams from the Canary Isles also have that kind of problem.

Do EFL clubs lodge a bond with the League? I know that happens in other leagues sometimes.
Asking as if Bury go bust and Lge1 drops to 23 teams then all clubs miss out on one home game and a bond could therefore compensate all the clubs.

Good point.

So what actually happens if Bury go bust on 19th June? Do we have 1 less game next season or do Plymouth get a reprieve and take over Bury's fixtures? I have been told that it is League 2 that is likely to run with less teams but is that true?
The answer lies within Section 3 of the EFL regulations:

Cessation of membership. If a Club (or Clubs) ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of Association or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):
during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;
during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members; or
during the period between the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

That isn't very well written, but I think it means Plymouth will stay in League One and League Two will have 23 clubs next season.

Maybe Salford could be given a bye to League 1 and their reserves can play in league 2!

during the period between the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

That isn't very well written, but I think it means Plymouth will stay in League One and League Two will have 23 clubs next season.

I read that as League 1 shall operate with 23 clubs next season with one fewer (i.e. 3) being relegated next season. League 2 isn't mentioned and, presumably, not affected, Plymouth being allocated according to their relegation.

The answer lies within Section 3 of the EFL regulations:

Cessation of membership. If a Club (or Clubs) ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of Association or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):
during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;
during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members; or

You’re right it isn’t very well written but, I agree with your interpretation.