Burton at home match threat | Vital Football

Burton at home match threat

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Since no one started one, i thought i might as well get the ball rolling for tomorrows game.

Burton come into this in horrible form with no wins, 1 draw and 6 loses in their last 7 games. Some of those games were 6 pointers too, so they really have been in free fall, but aren't in the drop zone.

They are one of the weakest teams away in the division withwith 4 wins, 5 draws and 11 loses. They are the 3rd lowest scorers in the division with just 31 goals from 39 games while the defence has been average conceding 51, which is only 3 less than us. Their top scorer Lubala only had 5 goals but he left in January leaving 2 central midfielders Joe Powell and Mark Helm their joint top scorers on 4 each. Incidentally both are frees in the summer and i could see us looking at them.

From recent games it looks like they'll set up as a 5-4-1 and sit back and try and make life hard for us. They are decent at defending a lead 60% of the time, while they struggle to equalise only 20% of the time. So as usual in these types of games where we expect them to sit back the first goal is crucial.

They have the lowest average possession in the league with 40%, their pass accuracy is lower than most, they put the fewest crosses in the box but play a lot of long balls. They also have a long throw but haven't been as dangerous from set pieces as you'd maybe expect with only 9 goals from dead balls which is one of the lowest.

The only team who averages less shots per game is actually us (we are 10.3 to their 10.4). They also concede one of the highest number of shots per game with 14.2, which is again only 0.1 higher than us. So in either box there are a lot of similarities but the difference is we are much more efficient at scoring from the chances we have compared to them.

Basically they aren't very good and if we turn up we should have enough quality to beat them. But they are in a relegation fight so i imagine they'll be up for it and we know our pattern by now, this is typically the type of game we so often don't seem up for. Maloney said in his pre match it's all about our mentality and attitude heading into this game and he's absolutely right -if we play with urgency and intensity and match Burton for effort we'll get the win. But getting the team to do that in fixtures like this has been our undoing this season.

Since no one started one, i thought i might as well get the ball rolling for tomorrows game.

Burton come into this in horrible form with no wins, 1 draw and 6 loses in their last 7 games. Some of those games were 6 pointers too, so they really have been in free fall, but aren't in the drop zone.

They are one of the weakest teams away in the division withwith 4 wins, 5 draws and 11 loses. They are the 3rd lowest scorers in the division with just 31 goals from 39 games while the defence has been average conceding 51, which is only 3 less than us. Their top scorer Lubala only had 5 goals but he left in January leaving 2 central midfielders Joe Powell and Mark Helm their joint top scorers on 4 each. Incidentally both are frees in the summer and i could see us looking at them.

From recent games it looks like they'll set up as a 5-4-1 and sit back and try and make life hard for us. They are decent at defending a lead 60% of the time, while they struggle to equalise only 20% of the time. So as usual in these types of games where we expect them to sit back the first goal is crucial.

They have the lowest average possession in the league with 40%, their pass accuracy is lower than most, they put the fewest crosses in the box but play a lot of long balls. They also have a long throw but haven't been as dangerous from set pieces as you'd maybe expect with only 9 goals from dead balls which is one of the lowest.

The only team who averages less shots per game is actually us (we are 10.3 to their 10.4). They also concede one of the highest number of shots per game with 14.2, which is again only 0.1 higher than us. So in either box there are a lot of similarities but the difference is we are much more efficient at scoring from the chances we have compared to them.

Basically they aren't very good and if we turn up we should have enough quality to beat them. But they are in a relegation fight so i imagine they'll be up for it and we know our pattern by now, this is typically the type of game we so often don't seem up for. Maloney said in his pre match it's all about our mentality and attitude heading into this game and he's absolutely right -if we play with urgency and intensity and match Burton for effort we'll get the win. But getting the team to do that in fixtures like this has been our undoing this season.
That's it then.thay get a penalty with 20 mins to go score and we panic six attackers on and loose 2-0 story of are sesan 😳

Well, it's going to be a weird end to the season ... not pushing for promotion, not trying to avoid relegation ... just aiming to finish off as well as we can, with maybe a look to the future in terms of team selection (though given the uncertainty, maybe not).

Funnily enough, Frankie has just posted his comment above just as I'd finished the first para. I know he's only fishing (poorly), but for a change, there's probably a modicum of truth in his post. No, not with regard to the manager of course, but certainly toward the attitude of us fans. I'd argue it's not really a lack of interest ... just an acknowledgement that the job's been (well) done ... early.

Any road, I'm going for a decent performance, and a comfortable win. 3 baht to us.

Job done, how the fuck do you come to that conclusion?

We are set to finish mid table and thats it, hardly job done. And before you start with 'the plan was to stay up this season' who actually said that apart from the happy clappers on here?

We are set to finish mid table and thats it, hardly job done. And before you start with 'the plan was to stay up this season' who actually said that apart from the happy clappers on here?
Mr Danson and The CEO,Both quite important in the scheme of things

Erm.. Shaun Maloney .. 19th August 2023. Wigan Evening Post . 5th paragraph from the end of the article ......

I think that the lack of interest is mainly down to the international break we've just endured, it's the same every time. Two weeks without watching our team leaves us with nothing to praise/ moan about/ fish for bites/ fall out with fellow posters etc etc.
Back to normal at 5-00pm tomorrow.
:grinning:

A thread started just 24 hours before the game just shows the lack of interest of late.

Tinkerbell has single handedly knocked the stuffing out of us.
lack of interest on here increases every time there is an International break if you care to follow the patterns of the board, it does this in the close season as well, but lets not let facts get in the way of your unique way of moaning about everything.

I think that the lack of interest is mainly down to the international break we've just endured, it's the same every time. Two weeks without watching our team leaves us with nothing to praise/ moan about/ fish for bites/ fall out with fellow posters etc etc.
Back to normal at 5-00pm tomorrow.
:grinning:
Just to say I posted the same before I had got to your post Cueball.