Juan Mourep - 25/4/2014 20:07

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 24/4/2014 17:02

Here - no religion on this thread!!!! :12: :12:

Buddhism is not a religion.

This sounds like a religion to me:-

Buddhist View on Death and Rebirth

...Ven. Thich Nguyen Tang...

--- o0o ---

As a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, working as a Buddhist chaplain at several of Melbourne's hospitals and as well as Melbourne assessment prison, I have witnessed many personal tragedies faced by the living and of course the very process of dying and that of death and many of these poor people faced their death with fear, with misery and pain before departing this world. With the images of all these in my mind, on this occasion, I wish to share my view from the perspective of a Buddhist and we hope that people would feel far more relaxed in facing this inevitable end since it is really not the end of life, according to our belief.

Death and the impermanence of life

In the teaching of the Buddha, all of us will pass away eventually as a part in the natural process of birth, old-age and death and that we should always keep in mind the impermanence of life. The life that we all cherish and wish to hold on.

To Buddhism, however, death is not the end of life, it is merely the end of the body we inhabit in this life, but our spirit will still remain and seek out through the need of attachment, attachment to a new body and new life. Where they will be born is a result of the past and the accumulation of positive and negative action, and the resultant karma (cause and effect) is a result of ones past actions.

This would lead to the person to be reborn in one of 6 realms which are; heaven, human beings, Asura, hungry ghost, animal and hell. Realms, according to the severity of ones karmic actions, Buddhists believe however, none of these places are permanent and one does not remain in any place indefinitely. So we can say that in Buddhism, life does not end, merely goes on in other forms that are the result of accumulated karma. Buddhism is a belief that emphasizes the impermanence of lives, including all those beyond the present life. With this in mind we should not fear death as it will lead to rebirth.

The fear of death stemmed from the fear of cease to be existent and losing ones identity and foothold in the world. We see our death coming long before its arrival, we notice impermanence in the changes we see around us and to us in the arrival of aging and the suffering due to losing our youth. Once we were strong and beautiful and as we age, as we approach our final moments of life we realize how fleeting such a comfortable place actually was.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma5/viewdeath.html

The book I read said the originator or Buddhism declared it shouldn't be a religion, but of course, people twist things into what they want to.

Oh and the thing that kicked this off which I perhaps wrongly put in there, was...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Wow, that's the first time I've ever started a thread without knowing it. lol

:18:

Really do want that one thread to not be about religion.

I wasn't thinking when I out that one up, but it was meant to reflect good comes from the heart not a temple, which is motivational and what I've said many times, especially relating to the Vatican and their cult.

A peaceful, none threatening religion that has a lot going for it.

I'm not a religious person, but I do respect any religion that respects others' religion. Hence I have no respect for Islam.

The Fear - 26/4/2014 21:31

:18:

Really do want that one thread to not be about religion.

I wasn't thinking when I out that one up, but it was meant to reflect good comes from the heart not a temple, which is motivational and what I've said many times, especially relating to the Vatican and their cult.

Precisely what Christianity is supposed to be about: Whats within you.

The temple, with in you. God within you and so on. Men have twisted and turned Christ message to make it into something it isn't.

God=good. Devil=evil. Interpretational Christian is what I am + it is a personal relationship.

I have also read many books that are none Christian to do with spiritual matters.

3 of my top 10 favorite quotes : We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. BY Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

In the final analysis, the questions of why bad things happen to good people transmutes itself into some very different questions, no longer asking why something happened, but asking how we will respond, what we intend to do now that it happened.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you. Khalil Gibran

Actually I could put these in the motivational post too

:98:

<p>
The Fear - 26/4/2014 21:25<br /><br />The book I read said the originator or Buddhism declared it shouldn't be a religion, but of course, people twist things into what they <strong>need</strong> to.<br /><br />
</p><p>Fixed!</p><p>I always see it as a philosophy about accepting reality and the origin of suffering and its emphasis on impermanence, but in operation it has all the features of a religion.</p><p>There are many schools of Buddhism and it tends to get altered when it travels, just like other religions, to fit in with local precepts.</p><p>Christian societies tend to bring all the toxic guilt associated with that religion, and make karma some kind of heaven and hell, which ruins it for me.</p><p>The two aspects which appeal to me about Buddhism, are that it does not rely on guilt to manipulate and it does not seek to convert people.</p><p>Hermann Hesse's <em>Siddhartha</em> &nbsp;distils the essence perfectly.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Need, yes, good point.

And yes, agreed, worry about your own karma, let others worry about theirs.

It is something that calmed me down many years ago, I now try to just do what is right and not worry so much about the reaction, or laugh at the 'wrong' reaction.

It might shock some of you though, but I'm not perfect at it !

:153:

Apologies Fear. It was meant to be a lighthearted comment based on what had gone before!!! Didn't mean to ruin your thread.

Anyway, aren't all these belief systems just Cults at the end of the day? Would that be a better description?

No mate, it was right and had started to be discussed.

I wasn't thinking when I posted it!!! :17:

Villan Of The North - 26/4/2014 21:22

"according to our belief"

Sounds like a belief system to me.

The typical dictionary definition of religion refers to a "belief in, or the worship of, a god or gods or the service and worship of God or the supernatural.

The worship of a separate God or Gods is the key ingredient, God is the creator, God is the sustainer, God is the destroyer, God is responsible for all, the individual has no control over their life, the followers of these religions relinquish all control over their own actions and life to their God, so whatever happens is God's will, it's not your fault, you always have something else to blame, you don't own your life.

Buddhism, instead, emphasizes the system of causal relationships underlying the universe which constitute the natural order and source of enlightenment.
No dependence of phenomena on a supernatural reality is asserted in order to explain the behaviour of matter. According to the doctrine of the Buddha, a human being must study nature in order to attain personal wisdom regarding the nature of things.
In Buddhism, the sole aim of spiritual practice is the complete alleviation of stress in samsara, which is called nirvana.

You are responsible, you own your life and your actions, it is all down to you.

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”

Some may try and slip their belief in a God into this belief system, "looking for God inside you" when in reality they should just add another o to God.

Juan Mourep - 27/4/2014 15:58

Villan Of The North - 26/4/2014 21:22

"according to our belief"

Sounds like a belief system to me.

The typical dictionary definition of religion refers to a "belief in, or the worship of, a god or gods or the service and worship of God or the supernatural.

The worship of a separate God or Gods is the key ingredient, God is the creator, God is the sustainer, God is the destroyer, God is responsible for all, the individual has no control over their life, the followers of these religions relinquish all control over their own actions and life to their God, so whatever happens is God's will, it's not your fault, you always have something else to blame, you don't own your life.

Buddhism, instead, emphasizes the system of causal relationships underlying the universe which constitute the natural order and source of enlightenment.
No dependence of phenomena on a supernatural reality is asserted in order to explain the behaviour of matter. According to the doctrine of the Buddha, a human being must study nature in order to attain personal wisdom regarding the nature of things.
In Buddhism, the sole aim of spiritual practice is the complete alleviation of stress in samsara, which is called nirvana.

You are responsible, you own your life and your actions, it is all down to you.

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”

Some may try and slip their belief in a God into this belief system, "looking for God inside you" when in reality they should just add another o to God.

Is reincarnation not part of the supernatural?

People look outwards for God or beliefs needing to be lead down the garden path, when the answers am all inside us, how we feel about things and what we feel is right is all we need to live like, no books telling us what we should do or say thats for cults nah just live on what you feel is right and if we all sis this ''what a wonderful wooooorld'' as Louie Armstrong once sang!

God is everywhere Clive as well as God being within us. That is true faith and Christianity has every faith is. Too many have twisted that to fit there own agendas.

The book/s are for guidance. No book does tell you what to do or say. We have been given free will, to choose.

All books, infact anything is guidance. You take the motivational thread. They are all guidance under what ever guise you want to put it.

Nothing new under the sun. Everything is passed on, from learning to walk and talk to schooling etc.etc