Buddhism | Page 2 | Vital Football

Buddhism

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
I would have to argue about God being everywhere, didn't see him in the brain ache hospitals I've been in and I don't think he was around when the priests were sodomising the poor kids.

This was meant to be a thread on Buddhism though.

The Fear - 27/4/2014 21:55

I would have to argue about God being everywhere, didn't see him in the brain ache hospitals I've been in and I don't think he was around when the priests were sodomising the poor kids.

This was meant to be a thread on Buddhism though.

There being another belief system around has never stopped Christians talking about their one in the past, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Indoctrination, indoctrination, indoctrination. I think that's how it goes.

There's a time and a place. This is not the time or place to discuss Christianity but perhaps God is a relevant topic as, from what I understand, the notion of a supreme being is more or less optional for Buddhists and tends to vary with place.

I bought up 'God' as a word NOT just for Christianity. That is the core belief system of all faith systems I believe. They all have overlap in some way or other.

No one faith has the monopoly on everything. I read books and practice spiritual practices that can be said come from other faith systems too.

For example last year I went on a 7 week course of meditation, that taught various forms of meditation taken from 7 different beliefs systems.

As for God being everywhere, I mean, looking for God, not in the way you think. In what I can learn and what I can see spiritually about any situation, as well as living within me.

You know JF I have had a difficult life myself, so you would think I would agree with you. In the context you mean I can see where your coming from. I would have said the same once. In the context I mean, I don't think many of you get it

davem - 27/4/2014 21:24

kefkat - 27/4/2014 21:16

God is everywhere Clive.

Yep he is Clive he also is putting a bid in to buy randy out that's how real he is

:1: :1: :1: :1: :19: this creased me up, ffs it's too early :13:

The thing about God is he can only be powerful if we follow his commandments and ways he has said to have spoken to us through fellow human beings right? Ok so he is only powerful if we listen and follow his ways so if we all turn our backs on him and do our own thing he is kinda not there anyway? Plus i find it a bit cringe worthy supposing to believe fellow humans claiming God spoke to them like humans don't speak bs and make things up??? yeah right ;)

I think your gut feeling and your own levels of respect for fellow human beings is what seperates us, some would stab you as soon as your backs turned and kick you while your down (SATAN muuuuuaaaah) and others like me would be the saft sod saying ''am yo alright our kid'' if you fell down, this then must mean i am God??? KNEW IT!!!!

kefkat - 28/4/2014 06:50

I bought up 'God' as a word NOT just for Christianity. That is the core belief system of all faith systems I believe. They all have overlap in some way or other.

Not in Buddhism though !

PMSL Vill57 dude LOL

I think i have found this Budda fella, he is insperational to be fair

[youtube=oYD_PT00KKo]

The Fear - 28/4/2014 09:17

kefkat - 28/4/2014 06:50

Not in Buddhism though !

It does actually, all of the 'major' belief systems have at their core the state of egolessness to achieve their particular form of enlightenment, to shed the false identity of the Self, the I, the Me, in order to become one with all and recognise that there is no Self and Other. We are one, etc.

It's just that Buddhism is much better at it than anything else :)

Nope, they don't worship, or actually weren't meant to worship on superior 'being'. It is to reach enlightenment yourself. The others, to me, look outward for guidance, Buddhism says look inwardly.

I've had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy and brain taps (camera needed as the needle goes so close to the hindbrain) so I've had plenty look at inwardly for me.

:17:

So you've looked up your own arse J, this explains so so much :3:

:14:

Only on Vital Villa could we go from Buddhism to me looking up my own doo dah!!!!!!!!

Yes that's true, there is no god or superior being in Buddhism, its whole point is that human beings don't need god as we have that potential within us, but my point is that there are common themes, egolessness being one of them.

In fact it's very likely that Jesus and early Christianity was deeply influenced by Eastern spiritual thought as trading between Asia, the Orient and Middle East was well established by that time, and Buddhism pre-dates Christianity by at least 500 years.

Yup, we have accord on that! We would, because you are now agreeing with me!!!!!!!!!!!! :17: :17: :17:

From what I have read, although deity is not an integral part of core Buddhism it is accepted for those that want it and in some geographical locations it is even taught this way.

man bastardising for their own needs again VOTN. My point remains firm and true on this one!

I believe that bloke named after a llama has said that the original teachings of Christ and Buddha er more or less identical and that the concept of deity is neither encouraged nor discouraged in Buddhism, more a personal choice that is not really related to the philosophy at all.

So yes, people change things to be what they want but in this case the rules of the philosophy don't preclude it.

What about reincarnation? Does not the whole concept add mysticism to the philosophy and as such make it into a religion?