Bruno to Pompey? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bruno to Pompey?

That thread very quickly is asking questions about the manager who seems less than popular. The Raggett that was here would not have been out of his depth in L1, the Championship however was at the time a step to far and his confidence seems to have been destroyed somewhere between leaving City and arriving in Fratton.

We also shouldn't forget he has played very very few games since he finally left us, along with a serious long term injury.
It could easily take a full season of playing games to get back to what he should be.
Will he get those games with Pompey? If not then it will be another wasted season for him.

We also shouldn't forget he has played very very few games since he finally left us, along with a serious long term injury.
It could easily take a full season of playing games to get back to what he should be.
Will he get those games with Pompey? If not then it will be another wasted season for him.

But he will be earning more then he would with us

Don't know about Bruno to Portsmouth, but their fans are not happy with Raggett and he bore the brunt of criticism from a lot of them last night.
I think it was also Raggett being brought on by Jackett and moving to a 5 man defence against a side with 8 outfield players.

I think its obvious Bruno is for sale. Whether there is a buyer - or if he wants to go - is another matter.
And that's why he's not starting IMO. Being wrapped in cotton wool in case something does happen.

I get the impression that he perhaps doesn't want to leave, although it'd be in our interests to try and get him tied down to another contract if he doesn't/won't because he's our most saleable asset.

Difficult situation for both parties I think. In an ideal world, it'd be a new contract and being able to fund players without selling him.

I don`t doubt Jorge dead ball skill but over the 90 our wide players don`t currently deliver enough.(jg playing wide left)
DC`S dilemma, keeping a player on the pitch in a wide left position who takes your corners/freekicks but rarely hits the byline for quality crosses.(essentially he is a midfielder)
Jack payne`s game would be enhanced if 2 wingers were clever enough to make runs beyond the opposition back 4(without the ball)......movement in front of Jack is mainly only Walker.........being double marked on occasions.

Last night was a prime example that we lacked quality delivery in wide slots to stretch the opposition defence.(best option our left full back)
Walker`s game thrives on arriving into the box meeting crosses from wide positions(see his goals reel).
Early days yet i suppose with all these new lads coming in it will increase competition for shirts...............bring it on............plus the injured lads returning.....DC will having a full time job keeping everyone happy?
Grant isn't that type of player, though. Not all wide players are full of pace and crossing from the byline.

I'd suggest that having Toffolo as a FB negates the *need* to have that type of winger. For example, Grant and Eardley probably wouldn't work as well as Grant Toffolo.

Going back to 2016/17, Hawkridge was the Grant type player - not blessed with pace but able to deliver from wider areas and drift inside with Habergham (Toffolo) on the outside (Dover at home being a prime example of the many times that link-up play happened).

Grant isn't that type of player, though. Not all wide players are full of pace and crossing from the byline.

I'd suggest that having Toffolo as a FB negates the *need* to have that type of winger. For example, Grant and Eardley probably wouldn't work as well as Grant Toffolo.

Going back to 2016/17, Hawkridge was the Grant type player - not blessed with pace but able to deliver from wider areas and drift inside with Habergham (Toffolo) on the outside (Dover at home being a prime example of the many times that link-up play happened).

Picking up that train of thought that is exactly what we implement. Typically we have had Eards underlapping to cross the ball when Harry has stretched the opposition and been checked down the right. On the other side we have had the overlapping fullback scenario with Toff which creates a pocket for Bruno to come inside with pace. Leaving aside the issue of where Bruno's future lies DC has the luxury of choosing between the slower and more creative Grant or the pacier, two footed direct threat of Bruno. DC will have the handle on the big picture including player fatigue, condition, opposition etc. but in theory you would expect Bruno to be more dangerous away from home on the counter or coming on and running at a tiring defence. On the other hand Jorge Grant could do well at home against deeper, more defensive line ups. Whilst ever we still have both at the club these are quality options to have - a subtle part of plan A and B if you like

And that's why he's not starting IMO. Being wrapped in cotton wool in case something does happen.

I get the impression that he perhaps doesn't want to leave, although it'd be in our interests to try and get him tied down to another contract if he doesn't/won't because he's our most saleable asset.

Difficult situation for both parties I think. In an ideal world, it'd be a new contract and being able to fund players without selling him.

Do you think if we get into September and he is still here that he will be thrust back into the starting XI, Luke?

not playing Andrade - if he is ‘up for sale’ - it might keep him from getting injured, but he is not getting much game time to impress, or to increase his value. From outside looking in, a club might wonder why he can’t make the first 11 in our tiny squad. Is anyone going to pay high 6 figures for one of our subs?

Also, unless he is going to Scotland, Portugal or elsewhere abroad, he can only get a sideways move within L1 now. Thought he had ambitions to move back up to the Championship...

He isn't going anywhere before the window shuts. DC has clearly been trying a new system with TW and the other new signings. We shouldn't read anything into him being on the bench. In addition, Pompey don't have the funds to prise him away. He will shortly sign a new contract.

He isn't going anywhere before the window shuts. DC has clearly been trying a new system with TW and the other new signings. We shouldn't read anything into him being on the bench. In addition, Pompey don't have the funds to prise him away. He will shortly sign a new contract.
They're a few £m's in 'net' transfer spend are they not? They'd easily be able to afford him.

not playing Andrade - if he is ‘up for sale’ - it might keep him from getting injured, but he is not getting much game time to impress, or to increase his value. From outside looking in, a club might wonder why he can’t make the first 11 in our tiny squad. Is anyone going to pay high 6 figures for one of our subs?

Also, unless he is going to Scotland, Portugal or elsewhere abroad, he can only get a sideways move within L1 now. Thought he had ambitions to move back up to the Championship...
Club's will have made their mind up on him.

Four league games aren't going to make any difference.

Do you think if we get into September and he is still here that he will be thrust back into the starting XI, Luke?
Not now that Grant seems to have settled in very quickly and has 4 assists to his name.

That said, DC isn't afraid to take players out regardless of form (Bolger midweek).

Pompey are owned by the Tornante Co who in turn are owned by billionaire Michael Eisner I think they could probably rustle up the money not just for BA but pretty much anyone at this or the level above.