Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City - Saturday 23rd October 2021 - 17:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City - Saturday 23rd October 2021 - 17:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Hot Off The Press
Well not really, when you think you are going on a spree of two games a week another break hits you in November and a potential for one or more players in the Premier to get injured. City having despatched Club Brugge in midweek go to the south coast to battle a very good Brighton side coached by Graham Potter no relation of course to the Wizard HP.
Former City stars Paul Dickov and Michael Brown are the special guests for Saturday’s Matchday Live show on the Official site (www.mancity.com)
Audience input is always encouraged on Matchday Live and our special guests will answer a number of viewer questions throughout the show along with the popular mystery player puzzle. To get in touch and have your say, use the hashtag #CityMatchdayLive or send a WhatsApp message to +447537186538.
City Team News
Ferran
Torres will miss between two and three months after fracturing his metatarsal while away on international duty with Spain. Kevin De Bruyne still not 100% fit but getting their. Everyone else is available for selection
Pep Guardiola's Press Conference is later but as usual I do not expect any revelations to be forthcoming although questions maybe asked about the availability of John Stones who was omitted from the squad on Tuesday.

Stats (courtesy of Brighton v City: Kick-off time, TV info and injury news (mancity.com) )
Having lost their first seven Premier League games against City by an aggregate score of 21-2, Brighton came from 0-2 down to win 3-2 in their last such meeting in May.

City have never lost back-to-back league meetings with Brighton, overall losing just four of their 22 previous games against the Seagulls (W14 D4 L4).
Brighton scored more goals in their last match against City (3) than they had in their previous eight games against them in all competitions (2).
Each of Brighton’s last three Premier League games have finished level, with their last two finishing 0-0. Since their promotion to the competition in 2017, the Seagulls have had more draws (53) and more goalless draws (19) than any other side in the competition.

Since their 3-2 defeat against Brighton in May, City have conceded just three further goals in nine Premier League games (W6 D2 L1), keeping seven clean sheets in that run. Including that loss at Brighton, each of the Blues’ last seven goals conceded in the competition have come in the second half of games.

Between them, City (12) and Brighton (21) have faced the fewest shots on target in the Premier League this season, while they are also two of the three sides to have the lowest goals against totals in the competition this term (City 4.8, Brighton 8.1).

Brighton have been shown more yellow cards than any other side in the Premier League this season (22), with no player picking up more bookings than Seagulls defender Joël Veltman (4).

No player has created more chances from set plays this season than Brighton’s Pascal Gross (11), while of all players with at least 10 chances created this term, the German has the highest share from set piece situations (69% - 11/16).

City’s Raheem Sterling has scored four goals in four Premier League starts against Brighton, netting a hat-trick on his last visit to the Amex Stadium in July 2020. However, Sterling has scored just once from 13 attempts in the Premier League so far this season.

City’s Kevin De Bruyne has scored in consecutive Premier League games for the first time since September 2020. Only once before has the Belgian scored in three consecutive appearances in the competition, doing so in September/October 2015.

How Close will I get; How Close will you get ?
Ederson
Walker Dias Laporte Cancelo
Bernardo, Rodri, Gundogan Foden
De Bruyne, Jesus,

Match Officials
Referee:
Kevin Friend.
Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Simon Long.
Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis.

Next
EFL Cup Wednesday 27th October 2021 7:45 BST (defo the last one this year)
West Ham Utd v City

Last edited:
Brighton have started this season well, think Kev will get a rest and we should have more than enough to put the Seagulls away

Paul Tierney on VAR duty fills me with unease. He bottled the decisions at Candlefield After Potter's Dogs of War sought to kick the sh*t out of us last time out on their ground I am not confident he won't send his mob out with the same message this time. Tierney at the control of the video replay concerns me

Paul Tierney on VAR duty fills me with unease. He bottled the decisions at Candlefield After Potter's Dogs of War sought to kick the sh*t out of us last time out on their ground I am not confident he won't send his mob out with the same message this time. Tierney at the control of the video replay concerns me

Me too Skoorb, he will claim he wont interfere with an on field decision, but you can bet he will go back tow or three minutes to find a free kick in case we score, the only way round that is to score goal that cannot in any way be disputed, we have seen may times when they have searched for an excuse and failed.

I will never relax before a match until I know that Judge Judy is in charge of the remote control that guides VAR, and even then I'd prefer it was one of the Great British Bake Off presenters as they seem pretty fair. Or a Hairy Biker, they'd see that right was done by all and sundry. Val Singleton (RIP) would of course be the ultimate 'offal' if I may borrow that word from Sinking, a word she has very much made her own! Sky Blue Peter Beagrie badges all round!!!!

Ederson, Cancelo, OZ11, Dias, Laporte, Rodri, Bernardo, Red Kev, Greal Deal, Fodinho, Mahrez.

I will never relax before a match until I know that Judge Judy is in charge of the remote control that guides VAR, and even then I'd prefer it was one of the Great British Bake Off presenters as they seem pretty fair. Or a Hairy Biker, they'd see that right was done by all and sundry. Val Singleton (RIP) would of course be the ultimate 'offal' if I may borrow that word from Sinking, a word she has very much made her own! Sky Blue Peter Beagrie badges all round!!!!

Ederson, Cancelo, OZ11, Dias, Laporte, Rodri, Bernardo, Red Kev, Greal Deal, Fodinho, Mahrez.

Val Singleton will be quite surprised to read that you have killed her off while she is still warm and cosy in her granny slippers before the fire at home.

T shirts then. It will look like we left our kit back on the train and borrowed t shirts from the club shop.

XI: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan (C), Bernardo, Foden, Grealish, Jesus.

SUBS: Steffen, Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Edozie, Palmer.

Cel Spellman began Matchday Live with a special message for Guido De Pauw, the City fan who was attacked in Belgium following our win over Club Brugge.
Spellman, Michael Brown and Paul Dickov are all wearing the 'We're With You Guido' t-shirts that Pep Guardiola wore for his pre-match press conference and the players will do the same in the warm-up.
On behalf of everyone at the Club, Guardiola sent the 63-year-old a message of support on Friday:
"For him, we are quite optimistic. In the last hours he is getting better and of course he has all of the support from the Club on what they need for the investigation.
“A big hug for him and all his family. We wish soon he will come back to the Etihad Stadium to follow us at home games and away games. Hopefully, it won’t happen again. It’s difficult to understand why people can go to enjoy a football game and after, sometimes these terrible things can happen."

Pep Guardiola has made two changes to the side that started against Club Brugge on Tuesday.
Ilkay Gudogan and Gabriel Jesus come into the team, with Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez, who scored two goals in Belgium, dropping to the bench.
Raheem Sterling is short of fully fitness and is not involved today, so young Sam Edozie is back in the matchday squad for the first time since the Community Shield. He’s scored four goals for the EDS since making his senior debut.
XI: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan (C), Bernardo, Foden, Grealish, Jesus.
SUBS: Steffen, Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Edozie, Palmer.

Michael Brown on today's team
"It’s a very strong starting XI. It’s so difficult to tell with Guardiola who will play where, especially the front three. I think it’s a really strong back four too. Stones unlucky to miss out but it shows how strong we are there at the moment."
What are your thoughts on the team? Let us know by using #ManCity on Twitter or send a WhatsApp message to +447537186538.

Commentary By John Edwards @
16:52
Paul Dickov: Bernardo going under the radar
Bernardo Silva has been in inspired form so far this season and Paul Dickov couldn't be more impressed.
"He’s gone under the radar outside the club. His performances have been absolutely outstanding, it’s credit to him. He’s picked up his game onto another level.
"I love watching him and the energy he’s got, he always does it with a smile on his face. His touch and ability on the ball is fantastic. He’s crucial for the team and how Pep wants to play. It says it all that he has played the most minutes alongside Cancelo this season."

Commentary By John Edwards @
16:55
Neil Leigh at the AMEX Stadium
"So, two changes to the City side from the team which performed with such distinction away at Brugge on Tuesday. Of course, such is the quality within Pep Guardiola’s squad, whoever is entrusted with a starting place invariably steps up to the plate.
"And, as with last term, our fine first two months of the 2021/22 campaign has been helped by some tremendous defensive displays.

"There’s a comforting familiarity to the look of our back line this afternoon with Ederson again marshalled by a back four of Kyle Walker, Aymeric Laporte, Ruben Dias and Joao Cancelo. Six clean sheets from our eight Premier League matches to date illustrates the fine work overseen by City’s defence so far.
"It won’t be easy but another shut-out this afternoon on the Sussex Coast would be more than welcome!"