Brian Moore Stand | Page 2 | Vital Football

Brian Moore Stand

I've always thought it to be an insult to the late great Brian Moore that we named such a shit stand his honour.

It should be called the Paul Scally (or Neil Harris, if you prefer) Stand because like him it's still there, just, but causes the club and its supporters embarrassment.

Dismantle it and build a a new Brian Moore Terrace. Stick away fans in the GRS.

Simple as that? Just dismantle it and build a new one. Really think you need to have a look at the club’s priorities. We’re getting about 4000 every game with an average of around 150-200 away fans. I’d suggest a £2-£3m plus outlay on new stand when the rest of the ground is empty is not a priority. I do agree that it should never have been named after Mooro. Don’t agree that it’s an embarrassment to the club - we’re 2nd to bottom in the football league. Half of the teams n the division have crap grounds let alone crap stands!

I don’t know the score re the safety certificate, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the club just let it expire. Given our crowds and the poor away followings in the division, away fans can be seated in the GRS and the rest of the ground is still half empty. No point paying to renew it and for stewards etc. when it’s not needed. We, of course, now may need to revisit this for the Leicester game. The ticket money alone for opening up that stand at full price, I am sure wound more than pay for renewing the cert.

That stand has been "temporary" for absolute years, just another thing that has turned the club into a laughing stock. Hopefully we get it sorted.

It’s shit but but hasn’t been temporary for many years. We bought it years ago. I’m more embarrassed by what we do on the field and off the field than some crappy stand that’s not needed or used anyway - as I say, half of the clubs in the division have crap stands or entire grounds.

Simple as that? Just dismantle it and build a new one. Really think you need to have a look at the club’s priorities. We’re getting about 4000 every game with an average of around 150-200 away fans. I’d suggest a £2-£3m plus outlay on new stand when the rest of the ground is empty is not a priority. I do agree that it should never have been named after Mooro. Don’t agree that it’s an embarrassment to the club - we’re 2nd to bottom in the football league. Half of the teams n the division have crap grounds let alone crap stands!

We're not disagreeing again, are we, Steve? We'll need to be careful, this sort of thing can become habitual...

Let's hang on to the positives, we agree about what it shouldn't be called. :grinning:

Bradford City`s ticket allocation for Sunday is 759 seats - apparently (according to the BCFC website) all in the Gordon Road Stand. If that`s accurate, it kind of confirms the theory that the BMS is no longer in use.

I've heard talk of it having been condemned, which is absurd. If that was the case we'd be facesd with the cost of dismantling it. As I understand it there is remedial work required before a new certificate would be granted. Steve has made clear how low that is on the priority list right now but I'd anticipate the work being done relatively soon after any new investment. It's not a big issue.

If you have been to Crawley you'll know that they have a similar temporary stand, probably lower quality. It does have a sort of tented cover though, which is a cheap option. I'm not embarrassed about GFC in any way just now, we are officiall RRGSGFC once more.

If there is a problem I would think we would be pulling out all the stops to have the BMS ready for the Leicester game - potentially £100k of revenue we’d be missing out on if we can’t use it.

Bradford City`s ticket allocation for Sunday is 759 seats - apparently (according to the BCFC website) all in the Gordon Road Stand. If that`s accurate, it kind of confirms the theory that the BMS is no longer in use.
Northampton town fans were apparently due to use it when they brought 429 fans to Priestfield, but they all ended up being shunted into the Gordon Road Stand.
Seems fairly obvious the BMS can’t be used in its current state.
Can also see why the needed repair work hasn’t been done, but the cup runs already should have provided enough for that to be done now.
Or perhaps Scally doesn’t want to pay the additional cost now when he wont be owner for much longer, and is waiting for Galinson to take-over so he has to foot the bill in the future instead.

I'm not sure this can be the case as one of the conditions of the loan is that the ground is properly maintained
Does a “temporary” stand count though?
I imagine the real reason is just lack of cash flow to do it and other greater priorities

Anyone else wondered if the reason the Leicester tickets have not been announced/made available for sale is a mad dash behind the scenes to try and get the BMS safety certified/repaired/whatever for the Leicester fans?

Anyone else wondered if the reason the Leicester tickets have not been announced/made available for sale is a mad dash behind the scenes to try and get the BMS safety certified/repaired/whatever for the Leicester fans?

The silence on the Leicester tickets is somewhat concerning. We have two more days until the Christmas weekend, so presume that they are not going to go on sale before Christmas. So when will they go on sale? Between Christmas and the New Year - not a great time to put tickets on sale? Or a mad rush in the new year with a few days to go before the match.

And how is ST priority going to be managed with very few working days left? And what if those of us in the GR need to be moved if the BMS is out of action? I wasn’t able to get my usual seat for the Fylde replay with a crowd of about 2000 as they allowed a day priority for STHs and, as far as I can see, didn’t announce it.

For me, and I hope I’m wrong, I can see another colossal Gills ticketing farce….

Last edited:
I suppose with most ticketing being done online the club assumes less notice needs giving.
I mean, the club doesn’t actually need to be open, phones manned and such to buy tickets now. They could ‘in theory’ announce tickets are on sale on Christmas Eve and be sold out by Boxing Day morning (not that they would, just an example)
In fact, I am waiting to see how long the in-laws take to sober up on Boxing Day. If they are compus mentus by midday and (hopefully) getting ready to clear off home then I will get an E-ticket and come up. Certainly better than the old days of queuing up to either purchase or pick up pre purchased ones.

I would expect some something announced before Boxing Day though as some may want to visit the ticket office whilst at the game.

"I would expect some something announced before Boxing Day though as some may want to visit the ticket office whilst at the game."

I reckon a lot would prefer to be in the ticket office during the game.
:-)