Brentford . .away | Page 2 | Vital Football

Brentford . .away

Cook just confirmed on official website that Jacobs, Gibson and Garner are all fully fit now and Dan Burn is 'looking very good and will be back very soon'. So sounds like Burn isn't as far away as you'd have thought. He didn't mention anything on Massey.

He also said 'one player isn't back yet' which is obviously very awkward for team selection tomorrow. He didn't say who but it's almost certainly going to be Antonee Robinson.

He spoke about having to play 3 games in a week and said he doesn't want to tinker with the team if it can be avoided but is mindful that he may have to.

Confirmed by Cook with local news that Massey "He had an operation on Wednesday, and we might be looking at three or four months. "

Was it confirmed as a hamstring op?

Wigan Athletic have received a huge injury setback with news Gavin Massey could be out for the rest of 2018 after undergoing surgery on a hamstring problem.

Massey, who’d enjoyed a brilliant start to the campaign, pulled up lame in the 1-0 defeat at QPR on August 25.

And he went under the knife this week to correct the problem - which boss Paul Cook admits will sideline him for some time.

9 points is possible but I'm not expecting so many. I think coming awau with a point from Brentford will be outstanding, we've got to be looking for 3 against Hull and Bristol are beatable at home for sure but wont be easy.

If it's less then 4 it will be a disappointment. 5 or more would be great

Brentford starting Benarama on the right wing instead of Canos, i was hoping they wouldn't do that!

That lad looks very quick, direct and exciting while running with the ball - Dean Smith clearly looking to make the most of all the space Robinson leaves as he bombs forward so aggressively, Robinson may need to not be quite as gung-ho today or at least make sure whoever is covering him is sitting a little deeper than they normally would to counter act the pace.

I think that could be the key to this game if we can effectively protect or they can exploit the gaps Robinson leaves on the counter.

The fact Connolly starts again makes me think we may uncharacteristically play slightly differently than our standard game plan. Maybe it will be a slightly deeper midfield 3 to allow the full backs to still get forward while ensuring cover from the counter attacking threat of Watkins and Benarama. Or it might be Connolly to try and press their defenders harder to try and force them into more long balls which play into our hands.

One of those times where I wished teams had to be released 24 hours before the game because I wouldn’t have bothered if I’d seen that team. Bugger all in attack bar Powell. Two wingers who aren’t wingers and Vaughan who is just not good enough full stop. It was clear we weren’t going to score unless Powell did something special (which he nearly did).

Having said that Brentford were fantastic. It was embarrassing how much better their midfield and attack was than ours. Three outstanding attackers roaming behind the striker. That RW will need help to pull Robinson out of his back pocket. The only three players that came out with any credit for me were Powell, James and MOTM Walton. Maybe Dunkley gets a pass as well.

Deserved to lose that, Brentford played very well and we were very poor in final third. Brentford play like a more refined version of ourselves, less physical but more fluid and intelligent with the ball and their movment. It felt like we are trying to drag them into more of a battle that would suit us but they were too quick and slick and just kept us at arms length. Brentford attack in numbers and it really was like attack was their best form of defence as they largely kept us penned back and they stopped our full backs from getting forward at all. Both of their wingers caused us lots of issues as expected.

Our defence started shakey but seems to settled down as the game went, Dunkley and Kipre did very well overall but our big issue was we had zero penetration from our attacking quartet and the ball just kept coming back at us. Powell showed some flashes but he had nothing around him to work with today. We got very little out of Windass and Connolly on either wing and we resorted to too many long balls due to a lack of options in the final third as as we know we are crap at long ball.

I've got to be honest i've been massively unerwhelmed by Windass so far. He seems very reluctant to take his man on, i never saw him much in Scotland but i was under the impression he was a player who liked to run at players - can anyone confirm if that is right? I don't want to write him off as it's such early days and some players take a while to find their feet in a higher league but after paying so much i expected more tbh.

For Connolly i assumed he would be in the side so we can aim cross field balls to him and exploit his aerial presence - almost use him a a Lee McCollouch type winger. But there was none of that in the last 2 games he's played on the right wing. There is absolutely no reason to have him on the right wing if you are going to expect him to play as a traditional winger - he's not got enough pace or dribbling skills to offer anything in that role. Since Massey and Jacobs got injured our pace and penetration has evoporated and it's really hurting us as it was a key part of our system. After McMannaman changed the game last week i don't know why we picked Connolly on the wing in the manner we did.

As usual Vaughan isn't able to win the long balls, you've got to give it to Vaughan for his effort but it's absolutely pointless starting him and expecting him to hold the ball or win flick-ons he's just not big or strong enough. Every time he is on the pitch it feels we switch style of play and we are drastically worse for it. Brentford today showed that you can avoid the need for a physical prescence if you are smart enough in your pass and move game, but if we want that target man outlet Vaughan is not the solution. I feel sorry for Vaughan though as all his goals came in a front 2 playing off a target man then both us and Sunderland have been asking him to play on his own as the target man he never was.

Brentford loved to play the ball out from the back and sailed very close to the wind a couple of time, we nearly caught them a few times but those odd loose passes and a couple of moments from Powell were our only glimpses of goal. But at the same time i still think if we would've been able to play our game we could've won that today - we just didn't turn up.

Morys red probaby was a red for me, it probably wasn't as bad as the Brentford players made it out to be with their reaction but i think Morsy gave the ref a decision to make and i see exactly why he gave it. If a Brentford player did that to us i'd have wanted him off, so can't complain. It certainly didn't help but i'm not sure we looked like we had it in us to get an equaliser even without the sending off. Shame we lose Morsy for a few games but i think Gibson coming back should hopefully help mitigate that loss.

I think our team selection today (not using Grigg and Jacobs) was with one eye on the next 2 games but it just didn't work. I think Cook got it wrong (it happens) and we were well beaten all over the pitch. But i think there are genuinely a lot of lessons we can learn from how Brentford play - the best team i've seen in a very long time. I've been very impressed with what a cohesive unit Cook has built with us but what Dean Smith has built at Brentford is like the next level up. They don't have the greatest set of individual players but they play pefectly to their strengths and it seemed every one of them knew exactly what their role was and their system is very effective.

Got to hold our hands up today and say the best team won today, but at the same time i don't think we did ourselves justice - some of that was Brentford stopping us and some of it was us not doing what we do well. This is the first game we've deserved to lose this season, but i am now convinced Brentford will be in the top 6 - miles ahead of everyone we've played this season and one of the best teams i've seen in a very long time.

With a couple of the early season strugglers like Rotherham, Reading, QPR and Hull, etc stringing together a couple of results they are now in a position where they can jump us with another win if we let our form dip. Vital that we get right back on the horse on Tuesday night against Hull and consolidate a good strat to the season and ensure we don't get slowly dragged towards the relegation battle. Harsh lesson for us today but i think Brentford have shown the way for a club like ours what is possible if you get your recruitment right and have a good mangers in place.

Kdz i think Connolly was in the team to sit back and defend as James attacked. The problem with that is James is no Nathan Byrne and isn't that good going forward.
i think Morsys ban could be a good thing as it gives Gibson a chance with Evans. Samys been off the pace this season whether he's tired or isn't good enough for the step up i don't know but if Gibson plays well and stays fit then Samy could find himself in the sidelines.

Sam is one paced and is not as effective in this league. Gibson looked class in his only game so will be a more than talented replacement.

Like against Rotherham then ???

A tap in from a keeper spilling a shot doesn't change the issue of playing against Vaughan and the teams strengths.

When Griggs on we know he isnt a target man and play to feet, give and goes and keeping possession. As soon as Vaughan is on we very obviously switch tact and start to go long looking for flick ons as if we have brought on a Andy Carroll type striker.

Vaughan is not a target man and it's unfair and counter productive that we always ask him to try and do something he's not cut out for yet we try to play to Griggs strengths. If we played the ball to Vaughan the same way we play it to Grigg both Vaughan and the team would have more success.

There's nothing wrong with Vaughan as a player or going long as a tactic but we've seen more than enough to see the tactic of long ball to Vaughan just doesnt work.

"I've been very impressed with what a cohesive unit Cook has built with us but what Dean Smith has built at Brentford is like the next level up. They don't have the greatest set of individual players but they play perfectly to their strengths and it seemed every one of them knew exactly what their role was and their system is very effective. "

I would suggest that Dean Smith has not built the squad at Brentford ... over simplistic methinks. The players are scouted, analysed, checked and double checked and then handed to him. He does the coaching bit.
If anyone who went watched the sidelines they might have noticed Dean Smith flanked by two stats blokes with clipboards.
Every time a Brentford player (or Nick Powell) was rolling around in agony, other Brentford players trotted over to the sidelines and were given updates straight off those clipboards. Wigan players mainly stayed put. It wouldn't surprise me if Brentford were deliberately stopping the game at times.

Wigan were beaten by the better team today ... no doubt about it. Brentford were quicker to the ball, tactically superior and used simple passing movements that split Wigan wide open at times.
I would love to know what some of our players on the pitch were doing over the international break.
Lee Evans looked like he had been over indulging in too much Welsh rarebit (am I allowed to write that still ?). He was bloody awful.
Callum Connolly ... has a cracking chance to score and falls over his own feet .... arrggghhhhhhh.
Sam Morsy might have had a dodgy hamstring over the International break (Facebook rumour) but he is starting to look like a shadow of the player we all know him to be (please don't !).

The referee gave free kicks for some of the softest tackles I have seen this season .... Jonathan Douglas (who was at the game) would have been appalled at how soft some of those Brentford players were.
The referee manipulation was straight out of Bournemouth's bag of tricks circa February 2015.
I felt the red card was deserved. Not watched the highlights yet, but it looked from my angle that the player had just got away from Sam Morsy. Our Captain's arm movement looked almost like a forearm / extended arm aimed at their player.

Positives
Despite the result, Brentford away is probably one of the best. All four of the pubs are now open and their supporters are great.
Christian Walton was superb today and apart from the odd kicking error was on the top of his game.
Antonee Robinson ... how many games did he play during the International Break ? Didn't have the greatest game and was caught high up the pitch at times. He never gave up and kept going. This lad, if he isn't run into the ground because of a lack of depth at Left Back, is going to get better and better for us (this season).
Did I write that Christian Walton was superb today ?
We have two games at home next week.

On a side note, I will be interested to see if Cedric plays any part in next weeks matches. I noticed that he was limping quite badly and his left ankle / calf looked to be giving him problems.

Have we won a match wearing the rather nice yellow away kit yet ?

The owner's grandson was accompanied by a young (ish) chap of Asian descent today ... photo came out blurred, otherwise I would have posted his pic.

I know there is a lot of superstitious footballers around but, come on guys, we are going to lose matches regardless of what colour we wear. The away trips this year will be more difficult than last year and as we adapt to life in this division we will lose some and hopefully win some. Lets not find something else to blame because the opposition were better on the day.