Brentford . .away | Vital Football

Brentford . .away

truelatic4eva

Vital 1st Team Regular
This board has been as popular as a fart in an astronauts suit lately with the boring internationals stopping any league games .
Anyroad,any forumers going to the game,or is it a Wish FM job?
I'm going but don't fancy our chances, although avin said that,i didn't fancy us at Stoke.

A symptom of the current state of this board, we have a massive game at the weekend and nobody can be arsed talking about it on here.

I am going.
Have a great trip Ben. Griffin Park is great. Great ground, great fans and great pubs.
Best side we will have faced this season and without a doubt the hardest match so far . A draw will be brilliant. If we finish above Brentford we will not be far off contending for promotion.

Just watched the Brentford highlights from this season to try and get an impression of what to expect from them.

A lot of teams play with a central striker with 2 wide forwards that can be counted as a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 but it appears Brentford play a straight 4-3-3 with the two wide men very high up. They appear to attack aggressively with all 3 midfielders rather than have a deep sitting anchor man which is offset by their full backs not really getting forward, it's quite unusual. So when they attack they will pen you in but they are going to be vunerable to a quick counter due to how aggressively their midfield push forward.

They don't really seem to have a physical presence up front but have a lot of pace, movement and create a lot of chances with lots of neat one-twos and through balls around the box. They are very fast on the counter attack especially with Watkins dribbling skills that James will need to be at his best to deal with. I think it will be a completely different test for the Dunkley and Kipre partnership as they wont have to face as many crosses and long balls (that they are very good at coping with) but they will have to be alert to cope with all the movement. The rest of the team will need to be good with their tracking the runners.

If we can press high up the pitch like we have in our best performances this season and force their defenders to panic into going long we'll have a lot of joy but they do seem quite comfortable at playing out from the back. But at the same time they do seem to have a mistake or two in them at the back when players have heavily pressured the defenders.

Overall Brentford play quite a similar style to us in a lot of ways but use a completely different system so on paper you'd think this could be quite end to end with a few goals in it.

While we've played supposedly bigger teams with more expensive players, i think Brentford are by far the best team we'll have faced this season I think they are dark horses for promotion via the play offs. I wouldn't bet against us judging on what we've shown this season but personally this is the least confident i've been heading into any game so far. I'd be very pleased with a point from this one. Will be interesting to see who is fit and what team we start with, this would be a good game to have Massey and Jacobs back for the defensive tracking.

Massey has just had surgery on his injury. He’s gonna be out for a while.

If it was a hamstring that's such bad news for a player with pace like Massey. As once you damange your hamstring badly it can be one of those prone to reoccur and haunts a player for the rest of their career.

Hopefully he'll not be one of the unlucky ones and will get back to 100%. Such a shame that the injury came when he was finding his best form.

I think that Brentford are one of the toughest teams we will face this year especially away from home. I back them on my Acca every time they are at home and they rarely disappoint. Can see this being a very open and attacking game. We don’t seem to have the best record against them and an even worse away record in London. I have just watched Brentford’s manager in his pre match conference and he speaks very highly of us. He said that he watched us beat stoke and lose at villa and described us as one of the best teams in the league. Tough game a point would be a brilliant result although I am not expecting one.

Awful news on Massey if true. Need Callum and Windass to step up now.

Gibson sould be fully fit now which is a boost.

Burn has only just had his boot off so probably wont be back training for a while yet.

Anyone heard anything on Jacobs?

Both Callum and Windass need time to fit in to the system and other players, there were good signs the last game that this is beginning to happen. We just need to be a bit patient with them and the other new players who have not featured or had limited games so far.

A draw will be a good result for us based on their form both last season and this season so far.
A loss but a good performance will be sufficient for us to then take into two home winable games.
I have a lot of time and respect for their club & supporters , I'm guessing because they remind me of ourselves.
Safe journey for those that are travelling and enjoy your day out.