Brandon Hanlan | Page 4 | Vital Football

Brandon Hanlan

Wycombe have made some off-the-wall signings this summer, perhaps they felt the need to get a few more experienced players in as well.

Budgetary considerations apart, each club will make its own assessment of a player's value, and valuations can be poles apart. I am not sure exactly what you get for £150,000 nowadays, but it seems high for a player with a pretty ordinary record.

Perhaps we broke the club transfer record to get TJ, we will probably never know, but I know which player I would have spent the money on between the two of them.

"Blown out of the water" in terms of both fee and salary according to MA
hope m-apple doesn't start sounding like cowley. re: budgets.
and whatever people are saying now about hanlon's goalscoring record, the fact remains that appleton wanted to sign him.
another one that would have been a world beater if we had signed him

How many of those players coming in are carrying injuries from previous clubs
We had it with Cowley bringing Coker in, and he only lasted about 40 minutes on the field. Walsh was injured when he was given new contract. I've nothing against what MA is doing from what I've seen they are not too bad bunch of players especially Bishop whom I believe has injuries at times and must be looked after,and think he will be the Grant replacement, also given time I think Sorenson will be a decent player. Just a bit concerned at moment thats all.Am sure we will come through it, its just not going for him at the moment.
Just a thought , Sam Long had a really good debut, well done boy, keep pushing on.

MAP mentioned in his pre-match interview that losing out on Hanlan was the second time we had lost a prospect to Wycombe. Do we know who the other one was? Looking at their signings, I can't see anyone obvious from the list below,

Josh Scowen 28 Free from Sunderland (Central Midfield)
Sullay Kaikai 25 Free from Blackpool (Left Winger)
Jack Wakely 20 Free from Chelsea (Centre-back)
Tjay De Barr 21 Free from Lincoln FC in Gibraltar (Centre-Forward)
Connor Parsons 20 Free from Iceland (Left Winger)
Adam Przybek 21 Free from Ipswich (Goalkeeper)
Oliver Pendlebury 19 Free from Reading (Defensive Midfielder)
Sam Vokes 31 £? from Stoke (Centre-Forward)
Brandon Hanlan £? ...

Does anyone remember us being linked with any of the above?

MAP mentioned in his pre-match interview that losing out on Hanlan was the second time we had lost a prospect to Wycombe. Do we know who the other one was? Looking at their signings, I can't see anyone obvious from the list below,

Josh Scowen 28 Free from Sunderland (Central Midfield)
Sullay Kaikai 25 Free from Blackpool (Left Winger)
Jack Wakely 20 Free from Chelsea (Centre-back)
Tjay De Barr 21 Free from Lincoln FC in Gibraltar (Centre-Forward)
Connor Parsons 20 Free from Iceland (Left Winger)
Adam Przybek 21 Free from Ipswich (Goalkeeper)
Oliver Pendlebury 19 Free from Reading (Defensive Midfielder)
Sam Vokes 31 £? from Stoke (Centre-Forward)
Brandon Hanlan £? ...

Does anyone remember us being linked with any of the above?

No, but I wonder if we are trying to develop a link with Lincoln Red Imps based upon one of those names

Bet he won’t seems a reluctance to do that.
They’re not ready is what is usually said. Like on Tuesday surely better to bring someone on for the last 10 rather than play with 10 men.

You could make an argument for that on Tuesday. Although if they really are not anywhere near the right standard yet, then it would have made things worse on Tuesday night.

A chain breaks on it's weakest link. Defending the last few minutes with 10 capable players was preferable to giving Man U a weak link to expose.

Today, we can only make 3 substitution and we have more than that on the bench. So no gain (re the match outcome) from someone being put on the list that won't be used.

Kaikai impressed me when we played Blackpool in the league, but was then on the bench in the PO final?

You could make an argument for that on Tuesday. Although if they really are not anywhere near the right standard yet, then it would have made things worse on Tuesday night.

A chain breaks on it's weakest link. Defending the last few minutes with 10 capable players was preferable to giving Man U a weak link to expose.

Today, we can only make 3 substitution and we have more than that on the bench. So no gain (re the match outcome) from someone being put on the list that won't be used.

But as was been said we could have been 6 nil up on Tuesday with a bit of luck, so we could have brought on youngsters to protect first teamers. I respect MAs decisions but for me it is counter intuative to have empty spaces on the bench.

But as was been said we could have been 6 nil up on Tuesday with a bit of luck, so we could have brought on youngsters to protect first teamers. I respect MAs decisions but for me it is counter intuative to have empty spaces on the bench.
Counter intuitive yes.

But MA is closest to all the issues.

I give him the benefit of the doubt as a default position because he has demonstrated he knows what he's doing.

I don't know all the considerations, nor does anyone else. But you can usually think of a reason why he does something.

For instance - MA could have put Liam Bridcutt on the bench (he was fit) but chose to rest him completely (a day off) - better for his long term performances?

He chose not to put a young player into the first team squad. He perhaps uses "training" with the first team, "travelling with the squad to a match", being in the "match squad", first team debut as milestones for a young player.

Letting a young player think he is now good enough to be in the match day squad when he isn't might actually be counter productive, as could be getting on the pitch and being given the run around by Man Utd.

MA knows what he's doing. He usually makes the right choices.

Counter intuitive yes.

But MA is closest to all the issues.

I give him the benefit of the doubt as a default position because he has demonstrated he knows what he's doing.

I don't know all the considerations, nor does anyone else. But you can usually think of a reason why he does something.

For instance - MA could have put Liam Bridcutt on the bench (he was fit) but chose to rest him completely (a day off) - better for his long term performances?

He chose not to put a young player into the first team squad. He perhaps uses "training" with the first team, "travelling with the squad to a match", being in the "match squad", first team debut as milestones for a young player.

Letting a young player think he is now good enough to be in the match day squad when he isn't might actually be counter productive, as could be getting on the pitch and being given the run around by Man Utd.

MA knows what he's doing. He usually makes the right choices.

I agree with your general point, of course, that MA knows much more about the squad. where it is, and where it needs to be than i do i'm more than heppy to let him get on with it. With regards your.sub analysis, i guess it depends.on whether ypu're looking at it from a purely youth develppment pov, or purely first team, or a mixture of both.