Books you're reading... and should read. | Page 11 | Vital Football

Books you're reading... and should read.

I dont read very much - but use audio books to listen while I walk for exercise (2 birds with one stone). Non fiction as fiction would feel a bit jackanory. Anyway.. does listening count or do I need to start a new thread about 'books you are listening to.. and should listen to'?

Oh I think consuming books in any form is a good thing, let's not demarcate on those grounds eh? My audio consumption in your circumstances is pretty much entirely podcasts though. I do have an audible account but it's saved for long car journeys..

In Search of Mary Seacole by Helen Rappaport is one of the best researched history books I've read in years. It debunks myths but gives credit where it'says due. Interesting all the way from start to finish.

I recently finished reading Sing Backwards and Weep, Mark Lanegan's memoir. I knew he had some tough times but DAMN.

"Cheshire" the biography of Leonard Cheshire VC OM by Richard Morris.
Obviously a lot of local historical references to Lincolnshire airfields and places.
A great man in more ways than one.

Rather nicely, my school (senior) has a dedicated period each week for reading. The pupils have to arrive with a book and just read.

Great stuff.

Not so much preparation needed for that lesson, Barney. Bit of a doss really, just require a couple of books for those pupils who have forgotten theirs. It is rumoured that you are trying to get this period extended to two or three a week! And with another one dedicated to the study of Hawkwind. Good luck with that. Well, if it encourages them all to read, it can’t be bad.

Not so much preparation needed for that lesson, Barney. Bit of a doss really, just require a couple of books for those pupils who have forgotten theirs. It is rumoured that you are trying to get this period extended to two or three a week! And with another one dedicated to the study of Hawkwind. Good luck with that. Well, if it encourages them all to read, it can’t be bad.
And, would you believe, several of my photos appear on the latest Hawkwind live album - I even got a photo credit!!

The reading sessions are good - quite relaxing now that the pupils have come to appreciate that they can really have a choice over what to read and can just relax for 40 minutes. We have even made sure that it still runs this week, during the summer exam week - and many pupils have chosen to read although a few have requested that they revise instead.

And, would you believe, several of my photos appear on the latest Hawkwind live album - I even got a photo credit!!

The reading sessions are good - quite relaxing now that the pupils have come to appreciate that they can really have a choice over what to read and can just relax for 40 minutes. We have even made sure that it still runs this week, during the summer exam week - and many pupils have chosen to read although a few have requested that they revise instead.
Also this is a great initiative too, and brilliant to hear it's being used well, even in busy times! 👏