Bolton | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bolton

Bolton are pretty much 3 years into a similar process that Maloney has just started, so they should be better than us on paper as they are the finished product while we are just getting started.

Last time we faced it was a clash of styles and our success came from being able to drag them into our game. This time we are going to be trying to play them at their own game so it's going to be a real acid test of how good we are and how close we are to competing with the better sides. If we struggle it's somewhat expected but if we can do well then it'll be a sign of rapid progress.

I think we are still struggling to find our balance especially defensively in wide areas and Bolton with the way they play will exploit the space around the full back areas that we often leave vulnerable. So it wouldn't shock me if we bring in Watts and go with 3 centre backs to try and be more solid.

Both sides want to play pass and move so we are going to need to be at our best off the ball offensively and defensively to get a result.

I'm dreading it. They really are the best team in the League now and will probably end up winning it. They remind me of us two years ago. Depth in every position, plenty of experience and physicality. Dion Charles suspended? No bother, they'll bring in Nlundlu (scored against us), Bodvarsson (scored against us and changed the game at the DW) or good old Cameron Jerome. They still have plenty of players who remember two years ago and will want to absolutely pan us.

If we're to have any chance, we need to do two things. Firstly, don't concede early on. Secondly, remained disciplined and don't give the ref any reason to make a decision. It's a huge test for our defence and central midfield and I'm sure Bolton will look to bully us in the middle of the park.

Dion Charles sent off last night so was Evatt, bottling it already! :thumbup:

3-0 up and two red cards. :slap:

Last edited:
All depends if we don't give the ball away whilst playing possession football and if out of all the passes we can create some chances to test their keeper.

yes i think so
Yes 78, he won’t be on the touch line and It’s definitely a loss because he constantly passes info to the players during the match so I’m not sure Atherton will be able to do that as well. I’m really looking forward to it and I think it will be close. You’ve made a really good start seeing the close season you’ve had so big shout for Maloney who’s handled a difficult situation really well. It’ll be a big test of where you’re at on Saturday and anything from the game would be a big positive for you.

Not a derby according to their fans - we are some local tinpot club temporary in the same league.
Their local rivals are ManU !!!
Years ago we never played each other so there wasn’t really a rivalry. More recently we’ve played each other a lot which has built up the rivalry more, younger fans especially see it as a big game. Their older fans might dismiss us as tinpot but will fucking hate it if they lose. I’m not disputing the fact that they’re a bigger club in terms of fanbase but on the pitch we’ve been at a similar level for quite a while now. It can only be a good thing for both clubs that we have local rivals. Apart from us is anyone else arsed about Bolton? Apart from them is anyone arsed about Latics? Probably not.

Not a derby according to their fans - we are some local tinpot club temporary in the same league.
Their local rivals are ManU !!!
Not a derby to “some” of their fans Sid but not the majority I assure you. I take it that you’ve been looking at Wanderers Ways which is arguably the biggest Wanderers fan site but run by a small group of ultras who aren’t in any way representative of most Wanderers fans. I’m 71 and have been a trotters fan for over 60 years and I definitely consider Wigan a serious club and derby rival. What you’ve done over a relatively small period of time in football terms has been exceptional, PL, FA Cup, Europe, how can you not be a serious club so ignore the tinpot jibes and just see it as envy from very much a minority. I’m not trying to patronise here because I want and hope that Wanderers win convincingly on Saturday but I just want you to know that not all Wanderers fans consider you any less than our other local rivalries with Rovers and North End. I’m proud of my club, you’re proud of yours and that’s exactly how it should be.

Not a derby to “some” of their fans Sid but not the majority I assure you. I take it that you’ve been looking at Wanderers Ways which is arguably the biggest Wanderers fan site but run by a small group of ultras who aren’t in any way representative of most Wanderers fans. I’m 71 and have been a trotters fan for over 60 years and I definitely consider Wigan a serious club and derby rival. What you’ve done over a relatively small period of time in football terms has been exceptional, PL, FA Cup, Europe, how can you not be a serious club so ignore the tinpot jibes and just see it as envy from very much a minority. I’m not trying to patronise here because I want and hope that Wanderers win convincingly on Saturday but I just want you to know that not all Wanderers fans consider you any less than our other local rivalries with Rovers and North End. I’m proud of my club, you’re proud of yours and that’s exactly how it should be.

👏👏👏👏 🍻

Respect to you then ignore my post reply above

Last edited:
I genuinely don't like these games and not through any fear of losing ...it is because I treat friends of mine differently in the run up and immediately after these games. These friends happen to be Bowton fans who I get on with really well and after Saturday will continue to get on with really well. They dislike the games for the same reason. I know some of the more volatile amongst both sets of fans like to engineer some kind of false hatred and exaggerated rivalry which honestly I don't see...ofcourse I want to smash them like every team we play then have some banter but we will soon return to having a pint together and arguing about who is more shit at snooker.

Whom couldn't give 2 hoots about Notlob. No offence Happy Days!
Absolutely none taken 78 it’s just a shame that rivalry these days seems to mean toxicity and abuse. I support my team, you support yours and we both want to win, obviously. There will be a terrific atmosphere from a big crowd so it should be worthy of a cracking game. I suspect if we keep playing as we have we’ll be too strong for you where you’re at at the moment but you just never know on the day and with derbies so all we can hope for is a good game, result to the better team and not spoiled by a pillock of a referee which I’m afraid seems to be so often the case these days.

Absolutely none taken 78 it’s just a shame that rivalry these days seems to mean toxicity and abuse. I support my team, you support yours and we both want to win, obviously. There will be a terrific atmosphere from a big crowd so it should be worthy of a cracking game. I suspect if we keep playing as we have we’ll be too strong for you where you’re at at the moment but you just never know on the day and with derbies so all we can hope for is a good game, result to the better team and not spoiled by a pillock of a referee which I’m afraid seems to be so often the case these days.

That's the way it should be, competitive but not hostile between fans.

Apologies if my post came across as toxic. Wasn't meant I can assure you. But a small minority of your support re: Man Utd as their derby, whereas they are more focused on Liverpool & Man City.

Apologies if my post came across as toxic. Wasn't meant I can assure you. But a small minority of your support re: Man Utd as their derby, whereas they are more focused on Liverpool & Man City.
No 78 you didn’t come across that way I wasn’t referring to you at all just that some fans feel it’s necessary to bring it to that level and I just don’t see why. I’m old enough to have gone to matches in the days before segregation where fans mingled and shared stories. I know it can’t be like that these days and some would question why a Wanderers fan should be on here at all but whilst a trotters fan I’m also a football fan and like to share views with the opposition. If you stuff us again on Saturday I won’t sulk off or come on and abuse you just accept you were better than us as you definitely were last time. Footballs about opinions and if we only get one side surely it gets boring?