Bolton | Page 10 | Vital Football

Bolton

I’m sure we all know who it is. I suspect it was a bit of legal minefield this one. He has anonymity granted by a court as a victim of blackmail and so any disclosure of his name when punishing him would put them in contravention of this. As such it was probably the path of least resistance to impose no suspension. No doubt he’s a lucky bastard though by escaping sanction of a ban in this way.

I suspect Toney will be spewing though given this chap and Toffolo escaped a playing suspension when he got about 8 months for the same offences.

I read that there were apparently 4 big differences.

1. Toney bet on a team he was at, including his own side to lose in a couple of games he didnt play and on he also bet in games he was involved in personally on himself to score or side to win. Toffolo never bet on his own side so he couldn't impact the game or have any inside info that could help him win money.

2. Toney initially lied when the investigation started, Toffolo immediately admitted guilt.

3. Toney tried to hide his activities getting friends and family to place bets for him, Toffolo didn't.

4. Toffolo had already stopped of his own accotd and hadn't placed a bet in a number of years, Toney was doing it up to when he got caught.

There have been a lot more gambling cases over the years that no one remembers but the theme has generally been your punishment is not blanket and varies depending on the severity of the vase. But the pattern seems to be if you bet on your own side you're going to get battled but if you don't you can get off much lighter.

This manager wouldn't just be about to retire would he? Like, on Wednesday night?