Bloody Sunday arrest | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bloody Sunday arrest

Excuse my ignorance but has this one soldier effectively taken the rap for the other soldiers, with the government keen to put this to bed?

Look forward to all the IRA bombers being charged shortly.

I've no comment I can add to this, I agree with you Mutt_Man

Wall of secrecy for decades now this. Too little, too late.

We are walking on increasingly thin ice as regards the past in Northern Ireland and the present Brexit situation.
The "backstop" is not an attempt by the EU to stop the UK leaving. It is largely there to try to stop the troubles kicking off again. I read last evening that there are those on social media suggesting that the Parachute Regiment should be sent in to "sort out" those relatives and friends of the Bloody Sunday victims undertaking a vigil. There may be less violence in Northern Ireland than in past times but it is not a normal society.
The reason there is only one soldier being charged is because, at this remove, the DPP does not think there is sufficient evidence for cases against any others to be viable.
The reason some terrorists are getting away with literally murder is, I understand, that the GFA amnesty clock only started in 1973. (Someone may have more precise information on this.) Also, it has to be borne in mind that many terrorists were released after then, having been charged, found guilty and having served at least part of their sentences.
There are far too many people in Northern Ireland who have not got justice. Alas, with the terms of the GFA, many of them will never get it; likewise, the families of most of those innocently slaughtered on Bloody Sunday. But just because you cannot give justice to all, does not mean it should be denied to the few.
The relevant soldier is now an old man. I still think it is right that he be charged and, if found guilty, sentenced. I also think the sentence should be suspended.

Trouble is BBJ, whilst I agree I don't care what age they are if a criminal is caught up with, they should be punished... but how has the info just come to light? They must have known this before and covered it up. Now all of a sudden the info is available?

Trouble is BBJ, whilst I agree I don't care what age they are if a criminal is caught up with, they should be punished... but how has the info just come to light? They must have known this before and covered it up. Now all of a sudden the info is available?

The dogs in the street in Derry/Londonderry know there was a cover up, Fear. The original Widgery tribunal stank the place out. It relied largely on the self-serving testimonies of the soldiers involved. It wasn't until 2010, 38 years after Bloody Sunday, that the Saville report was published.