Blackburn | Vital Football

Blackburn

Scharnerarma

Vital Youth Team
Ideas about tonights game? 1,800 tickets sold which is very respectable considering our form and the fact its on Sky ... I'm sure the £10 tickets helped!

Charlie Mulgrew is ineligible, Pilkington and Dunkley might be available to play though. Not sure about Williams (hamstring), Marshall (neck), Fox (groin) and Kieffer Moore though, early match info on the website isn't giving much away.

Obviously we need the win, and the three points would lift us out of the bottom three which would be a nice Xmas present. But, I'm expecting a draw personally, probably a 1-1.

I can't see anything other than a defeat. I'm hoping at least for a battling performance from the players though, rather than another abject capitulation in a local derby. Give us something to cheer and we'll get behind you.

I'm going tonight, i must be off my rocker, i'd take a point right now!

Just got our tickets nearly 2000 sold apparently, pay on the night as well.

It's football so anything can happen and the law of averages suggests you win the odd game no matter how unless you are. But we seem to be so poor we can't even manage that - it's another must win but we never win those so im expecting another loss, maybe outside chance of maybe a dour draw if we are lucky. The last time we won away it required an Easter miracle so i think a Christmas miracle is probably our best bet this time.

We are so crap Blackburn may be complacent so if we turn up and go for it this could be a good opportunity to get 3 points. But what's the bets Massey and Jacobs get another start and poor Josh is isolated up front. Get Garner and Windass up front in a pair and Pilks in midfield and don't even have Jacobs and Massey on the bench - use Geldhartd and Bright instead.

It's football so anything can happen and the law of averages suggests you win the odd game no matter how unless you are. But we seem to be so poor we can't even manage that - it's another must win but we never win those so im expecting another loss, maybe outside chance of maybe a dour draw if we are lucky. The last time we won away it required an Easter miracle so i think a Christmas miracle is probably our best bet this time.

We are so crap Blackburn may be complacent so if we turn up and go for it this could be a good opportunity to get 3 points. But what's the bets Massey and Jacobs get another start and poor Josh is isolated up front. Get Garner and Windass up front in a pair and Pilks in midfield and don't even have Jacobs and Massey on the bench - use Geldhartd and Bright instead.

You wouldn't pick Lowe either then KDZ ?

Its a hard line up to call. I'd go with Lowe, he's one of our better players, at least he has a bit of a go. Playing football manager for a mo, I'd probably say -

GK - Jones

RWB - Sterling
LWB - Robinson
RCB - Kipre
CB - Dunkley
LCB - Naismith

CDM - Morsy

RW - Pilkington (if fit)
LW - Lowe

AM - Windass

Str - Garner

Bench - Byrne, Pearce, MacLeod, Evans, Massey, Joffy, Bright

Naismith has done alright so far - good at bringing the ball out but understandably a bit lacking defensively - hence why I've kept him at CB. But we can always adjust tactics mid game and move him to the left wing, revert to a back 4 if we need.

I'd quite like Windass and Lowe to swap with each other, let Lowe cut in while Windass covers the wide area, just play with a bit more fluidity really. If we go to a back 4, I'd move Naismith to LW, then either sub Lowe or move him to play off Garner and sub Windass. Or move Lowe to RW and sub Pilks when he inevitably gets injured. Joffy could be a good sub to bring on, but early on. 55/60th min so he gets a good run to impact the game and make a claim for the starting line up for the games going forward

Here’s a stat for any happy clappers to feed on. Our record at Ewood Park as everyone knows is beyond abysmal. However we are unbeaten in our last two away matches against them on Sky (W1,D1). We also haven’t lost away from home in the Championship on television since PNE in September 2016. That game of course should have seen the end of Gary Caldwell, but David Sharpe gave him another month, by which time all the good managers had been snapped up by relegation rivals. Sound familiar?

Here’s a stat for any happy clappers to feed on. Our record at Ewood Park as everyone knows is beyond abysmal. However we are unbeaten in our last two away matches against them on Sky (W1,D1). We also haven’t lost away from home in the Championship on television since PNE in September 2016. That game of course should have seen the end of Gary Caldwell, but David Sharpe gave him another month, by which time all the good managers had been snapped up by relegation rivals. Sound familiar?

Didn't I see last season’s 3-0 capitulation on Sky ?....or was that ‘red button’ and as such different category ?

Heart 0-1 Wigan
Head 2-0 Blackburn

Just looking at that statistic, 5 percent win rate away from home in the championship.. can't stop feeling sorry for ourselves anymore. Hope Cook can stop being so negative and go out to win games like we used too. Being bottom, there is nothing to lose anymore so there is no excuses anymore to keep playing not to lose.

You wouldn't pick Lowe either then KDZ ?

I don't mind starting Lowe on right wing with Pilks on left, but I'm OK leaving him out if needed be.

Think Dunkley possibly needs to come back in to give us threat at set pieces again and possibly move Naismith into midfield on left wing with Lowe or Pilks on opposite flank - we need Naismith crossing from left.

For me if we go 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 etc doesn't matter as much as we have Windass close to Moore / Garner like they were against Cardiff and ran them ragged and leave out the likes of Massey and Jacobs who are like playing 2 men down.

Last edited:
Didn't I see last season’s 3-0 capitulation on Sky ?....or was that ‘red button’ and as such different category ?
Red button that. Actual TV games I’m talking about. 0-1 when we sent them down (also on a Monday night) and 2-2 in L1. We took big followings to both of those as well.