Bishop Injury? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Bishop Injury?

I think the fact he hasn’t completed 90 minutes isn’t an issue to be honest. To have been in the squad this season 34 out of 44 times and started 21 times is fairly decent.

Can be many reasons why he hasn’t completed 90 minutes, most of the time it the the manager or physio instructing it, not him.

Where does 17 starts in 3 seasons come from?
i think the reference was to 90s, and has been read incorrectly, and then made into a new point.

bishop has done 16 starts of 70 minutes+ this season.
i would question his fitness last season when he was consistently going off at approx. 60 minutes, but that is not apparent this season.

another factor in his injury record, well documented during the match threads here, and certainly from what i see of his performances this season, is that he gets kicked and fouled a lot per game - because he is often looking to go past the opposition player (targeted, taken out). see early at burton (a) - a particularly bad one that could have been a career ending type of challenge, first half against shrewsbury (h). stevenage (h). etc etc.

another factor, where it is multiple challenges in one game, the referee is doing bishop no favours, by doing nothing about it. for instance an early red card at burton, would most likely have given burton pause for thought on their treatment of bishop after that.

on an entirely different level someone like messi must have been made of titanium, to withstand the kind of treatment he got, and make so many starts.

Didn't Skubala make a mention of managing Taylor's minutes at the request of Luton, as well? I may be imagining it.

If you seek out Montsma’s Instagram account he posted photos of him ‘on the grass’ 14 hours ago. That was his first Instagram post. Fingers crossed he’s progressing well.
He looks very lean and fit to me. Obviously the photos are literally only a snapshot, but he seems to be working on his own rather than doing full training with the rest of the squad, so is presumably a way off any return, still. He's definitely a very dedicated, professional and hard-working player with plenty of determination to get fit again and return to playing. He's also really part of the club.

It could be that the previous prat of a manager chose to sub Bishop off at 60 minutes being the negative, safety first coach that he was. The biggest reason that we never scored any late goals was decisions like this. I would play Bishop ahead of Hamilton and McGranny every day of the week. The partnership of Erhahon and Hamilton was never a big success, mainly because they are both ultra left footed so both only turn one way and so too predictable. It’s no coincidence our best form for 4 years has been with Bishop in the team and it’s no coincidence he gets most of the scything challenges from opponents.
Also I would guess most of our signings since Bishop signed are on at least his wage, it’s only similar guesswork to suggest he is one of the highest earners.
100% offer him a new contract, we will struggle get anyone of his quality or experience in our budget bracket.
Enjoy his quality while you can, we’ve had enough sideways workhorses over the years

It could be that the previous prat of a manager chose to sub Bishop off at 60 minutes being the negative, safety first coach that he was. The biggest reason that we never scored any late goals was decisions like this. I would play Bishop ahead of Hamilton and McGranny every day of the week. The partnership of Erhahon and Hamilton was never a big success, mainly because they are both ultra left footed so both only turn one way and so too predictable. It’s no coincidence our best form for 4 years has been with Bishop in the team and it’s no coincidence he gets most of the scything challenges from opponents.
Also I would guess most of our signings since Bishop signed are on at least his wage, it’s only similar guesswork to suggest he is one of the highest earners.
100% offer him a new contract, we will struggle get anyone of his quality or experience in our budget bracket.
Enjoy his quality while you can, we’ve had enough sideways workhorses over the years

"It’s no coincidence our best form for 4 years has been with Bishop in the team".

I realise you don't just mean these 3 games John, but Bishop didn't start at Barnsley (5-1), played the last 19 minutes against Cambridge (6-0), and the final 7 minutes against Bristol Rovers (5-0).

So he was not a major factor at all in those three unforgettable games.

Like most players, Bishop has his fans, which I understand as players always divide opinion. At the end of the day, JG, Skoobs, and the board will decide in the summer. Tough decision for them, but if we are looking to improve on this season, we need two more midfielders of the quality of Erhahon and Hamilton. And Bishop is the only midfielder I think who is out of contract?

Bishop for me is good enough, gives us something extra/different to our other midfielders and should imo provisionally be offered a new contract provided :

If Bishop accepts that he is a squad player
If a deal can be reached tied to appearances/minutes
If the club are in a financial position to include squad players who may demand a little more wages than younger or typical squad filling player
If there are no players of a commensurate style and ability available for terms within the club budget

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes there, but I am sure you get my drift.

A midfield of Hamilton , Mcgrandles and Erhahon would be ultra defensive.
Couldn't see Skoobs ever starting with that on a regular basis. Perhaps to finish a game when ahead maybe. I think he will always play Bishop or Mandriou or a similar player in his midfield.

Probably the toughest to call contract dilemmas in recent seasons with Bishop, Eyoma and Mandriou to name a few that are out of contract.

A midfield of Hamilton , Mcgrandles and Erhahon would be ultra defensive.
Couldn't see Skoobs ever starting with that on a regular basis. Perhaps to finish a game when ahead maybe. I think he will always play Bishop or Mandriou or a similar player in his midfield.
But mMcGrandles isn't our player..........yet?!

Personally be surprised if we only gave 2 years to a player we paid for, imagine we at least have an option.
Would it be 2.5 years?
On the other hand longer would be a gamble on an unproven player.
Maybe the better bet is an option for a further year

Kennedy was lucky he got 60 mins