Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 8 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

Brilliant! I spent many a happy night/morning in the Rum Runner........ oh what memories.

:rockon:
Me to bud! Started going g to the Rum Ru ner regularly in 1979 at 16 years old. Back then it was the absolute business as a jazz funk club. Was a regular there, sometimes three nights a week during the early 80s. Remember the free chili on a Sunday night?

I used to work behind the bar at The Night Out 3 evenings a week (whilst doing my apprenticeship). It was so cool, walk straight to the front of the queue at the runner, show your name badge from the night out and straight in gratis.

Remember seeing Boy George and Marilyn down there

Now you're talking. The Rum, then over the road for a tow rope special at the cafe.
Used to be on very good terms with Albert, Terry and Sid, so never paid to get in.
Great club.
Remember coming out of the Rum Runner into the burger Bar opposite - The Manhattan. First place I ever saw a Space Invader machine - couldn't believe it!

Remember coming out of the Rum Runner into the burger Bar opposite - The Manhattan. First place I ever saw a Space Invader machine - couldn't believe it!
I am wondering if the Tow Rope and the Manhattan are the same place under a different name.
I am talking 71 ish.