Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 7 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

Brings back vivid memories of playing in the park all day and every day with my local mates and we would wait till it was getting dark and go to the clock in Aston Hall to see if it was time to go home.

Happy days.

Same for me mate. If it started to rain we would go into the hall. Remember the hidden room behind the seat, where the cannonball had hit the stairs, the haunted room.
If we could'nt sneak into Villa Park under the turnstiles we would stand on the hill opposite and could just about see one of the corner flags. And of course back then with about 15 minutes before the end of the game they would open the big doors and let us all in.

Same for me mate. If it started to rain we would go into the hall. Remember the hidden room behind the seat, where the cannonball had hit the stairs, the haunted room.
If we could'nt sneak into Villa Park under the turnstiles we would stand on the hill opposite and could just about see one of the corner flags. And of course back then with about 15 minutes before the end of the game they would open the big doors and let us all in.

Yeah, great memories and did all that for sure.

Also, I and a couple of mates saw a loose hoarding over a turnstile on Trinity Road and as it was a Sunday we climbed in without any fear or thought as 9 to 10-year kids used to do.

It must have been around 1964. The ground was so empty you could hear the clock in the centre of the Witton Lane stand ticking. As we had been playing footie in Aston Park we went onto the pitch and had a session kicking into the goal at the Holte End.

We finally realised it was wrong and risky particularly when the caretaker's house was within the grounds and the caretaker himself, Mush Callaghan was a frighting bloke so we never did it again!

I'll never forget that first thrill of being on the pitch playing football and little did I know a few years later I would be officially back on the pitch playing for Aston boys.