Big Steve Is Back | Vital Football

Big Steve Is Back

A few things strike me. Firstly SE is coming in as Manager not Head Coach. I don't see much of a role for our DOF other than hotel booker. Secondly TS aiming for a first time return to the Championship. Hardly conducive to bringing through young players. Thirdly we must be paying Stevenage a fair wedge. Fourthly, TS must have agreed to a decent transfer budget. Interesting times.

It took SE half a season to turn RUFC around when he started with us in L2 last time, so I am not expecting instant success. Plus he has to deal with a "multi-Schofields" situation this time - expect to see a few sparks flying soon. Some of our current players may be wise to invest in a street map of Bury whilst stocks last! One good thing - at least Matt Tubbs has retired from playing now.

Good luck, Steve!
(By the way - I always thought that Schofield was a decent player for L2)

Last edited:
I am in the mood for a song.....if you are happy and you know it clap your hands !!!.
I am clapping !.
Well done TS. You have been getting stick. But credit where it's due.
Straight back up.
Love your confidence of straight back up Craig.
Straight back up for what though.
Another season of having the lowest budget in the Championship, another season of poor limited recruitment due to that budget.

Took Portsmouth 12 seasons to get back to the Championship.
Charlton are still down there.
Barnsley are finding it difficult to get back into the Championship.
Wigan should be in a much better position next season.
Add in Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield plus maybe MK Dons and possibly that lot at S6 or Huddersfield, Birmingham.

Next season won’t be as straightforward as some fans think.

Love your confidence of straight back up Craig.
Straight back up for what though.
Another season of having the lowest budget in the Championship, another season of poor limited recruitment due to that budget.

Took Portsmouth 12 seasons to get back to the Championship.
Charlton are still down there.
Barnsley are finding it difficult to get back into the Championship.
Wigan should be in a much better position next season.
Add in Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield plus maybe MK Dons and possibly that lot at S6 or Huddersfield, Birmingham.

Next season won’t be as straightforward as some fans think.
I agree about next season, Guy, but more pertinent is your salutory question, 'Straight back up for what though.' The long term has yet again been jettisoned on the ego of the chairman and his panic about Season Ticket sales. Pathetic but par for the course in football nowadays.

Season ticket renewals (or lack of) probably were a factor in re-appointing SE. TS must have watched quite a few (mainly awful) games under LR - that would have had an influence too.
Yes mike, good timing for Season Ticket renewals.
Plenty will renew just on the announcement of the new manager.
Others will decide enough is enough and walk away.

I am not sure what to think, Craig.

I am not really a believer in ‘going back’ it’s seldom as successful as hoped.
He is certainly a strong character, the majority of supporters liked him - most of the time - and he did stir up the crowd!

For me, I thought he relied too much on loan deals and he was ‘economical with the truth’!

Most definitely.

Director of Football title didn’t last long …did it.??

Already seen and heard some names mentioned for next season.
All talk atm but watch this space as the saying goes.
Does anyone remember the announcement of Scott's appointment as DOF way, way back in January 2024. The board had apparently '...identified the need...conduit throughout the club...ensure that a synergy is maintained...negating the risk of any deviation in the way the club wants to employ its strategy moving forwards.'
I hadn't grasped that moving forwards was only until April, that the essential synergy is not so essential and that it took only three months to ditch the 'strategy moving forwards'. I'll stay the course (of course) but I wouldn't put any of our board and our esteemed chairman in charge of a whelk stall. Laughable.

Does anyone remember the announcement of Scott's appointment as DOF way, way back in January 2024. The board had apparently '...identified the need...conduit throughout the club...ensure that a synergy is maintained...negating the risk of any deviation in the way the club wants to employ its strategy moving forwards.'
I hadn't grasped that moving forwards was only until April

Three months is a long time in football, Lindum!

I never really understood the need for a Director of Football - and wonder what will happen to him now. Will he stay in that role or go back to being 'finder of footballers' or will he go?

I have got a message from my Bolton mate. Brought on by this appointment he says he is even more desperate for them to get up this season. Because he sees us as a proper contender for league one next season.