Best ever away experience (excluding Wembley play off) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best ever away experience (excluding Wembley play off)

Blackpool away, May Bank Holiday weekend. Couple of nights in a B&B, 3-3 draw and got one of Jason Brown's gloves he threw into the crowd as it was his last game for us.

Just remembered the funny time at home to Walsall, when at the Rainham End, their goalkeeper turned around to look at us, he had a 'horror mask' on. The amusing Freddy Barber. We ended up breaking out with 'Freddy wants to go home' to the intrigue of other fans standing on the Gordon Road terrace!

Back in the day Carlisle away was always an overnighter with the coach leaving the Gills Social Club around 10pm ish. Even Torquay away was an overnighter back in the day ! T`was good fun, a coach load of Gills fans kicking a ball around on the beach at Torquay at around 8am !!!!!
Sorry Lancs. It was a lame attempt at a joke about travelling from Lancashire to Cumbria overnight being a slow journey. Obvioisly you were in Kent at the time.

Winning 1-0 on a wet night at Newport to clinch the Div4 title. A typical performance of that time when the Freddie Cox style throughout that entire season was all about " if we dont concede, then we wont lose".

Just remembered the funny time at home to Walsall, when at the Rainham End, their goalkeeper turned around to look at us, he had a 'horror mask' on. The amusing Freddy Barber. We ended up breaking out with 'Freddy wants to go home' to the intrigue of other fans standing on the Gordon Road terrace!

Absolute legend is Freddie Barber. Lot of love for him from the RE back then.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned beating Ipswich 4-3 away in 2003. 3-1 up back to 3-3 and Patto winning it in the last minute.
Col Utd winning 5 nil in the Cup when an old Col U fan sitting next to me said ‘ do you always take that scum away with you ‘ as Gills fans kept clearing what i presume was the home terrace pre match.
coventry away naturally.
Also Ipswich in the FACup in 1985( ?) 2 down and John Leslie and Mel Sage equalising but losing 3-2 eventually

Also Ipswich in the FACup in 1985( ?) 2 down and John Leslie and Mel Sage equalising but losing 3-2 eventually

I was at that game. Don’t remember it being a particularly great away day. We were pretty much outplayed all day except for the 5 min spell when we got our goals. But our hopes got dashed pretty quickly.

I believe a 17 yo Jason Dozell ran the show for them. What a talent.

And how come no one has mentioned the Sunderland away play-off game in 87? And for that matter, the Stoke away play-off with Hess’ screamer? I wasn’t there obviously but must have been pretty damn good.

For me, any unexpected away win made a trip a good experience. The win at high-flying Rotherham two seasons ago was particularly pleasing. That match at Fulham when Robbie Reinhalt scored a screamer was ace. Then I remember a relegation-saving win at Orient back in the 60s. Given the usual results on the road over the years, any away win was a good experience.

A fair amount of Big Al Specials back in the days I was in my mid-late teens. We were good, taking loads away to decent teams and stadia, drinks on the way and drinks in London after:
- Burnley 5-0 “Conga back to Euston”
- PNE around that time as well, 2-0 (Asaba double?)
- Oldham 4-1 and the train back with a lot of smashed Everton fans

- Cheltenham away maybe late 2000s? Abusing an expired Scream card for many discounts in a great town.

- Pompey 4-1 the other year. Everything you want - great atmosphere, great beer, enjoyable journey.

- Two Millwall ones - 2-1 in the Green and the 2-2 with the lower tier open. London Bridge is great for drinking.

- Burton championship celebration and Notts County play-off celebration have to by my ultimate favourites though. For everything. We need another trip to Nottingham.

Swindon home and away in the play offs, the play off final where we outplayed them and lost 0-2.
Sunderland away in the play offs.
Everton away in the FA cup
Ipswich away in the FA cup

Torquay away Nov 1989. Tuesday night, conceded a penalty in opening minutes right in front of away end which was missed. Won 2-0 and I'm pretty sure someone got ejected then stood on a garage roof behind the away end.
I was living in Huntingdon at the time so that was a long day/night out. Pretty sure we had at least a coach load from Medway.