Best ever away experience (excluding Wembley play off) | Vital Football

Best ever away experience (excluding Wembley play off)

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Back in the 90s a mate invited me to see us play his team Chesterfield and I stood with him in the home end. All the surrounding crowd and also his mates knew I am a Gills fan but their friendliness, banter and fairmindedness made it an unforgetable experience of our 1-1 draw.

2 spring to mind.

Everton in the FA Cup.

Reading on New Years Day, when we beat their record-breaking promotion side 2-1. Big party.

Honourable mention for the cup game at Colchester when we ran riot 5-0. Never had so much fun bouncing before. Well, may have done now I think about it....

I agree with OneSirKeefy. Went to both but the 5 nil at Col U was a great day out. 3 2 at Shrewsbury recently after being 2 down. Mrs H was hauled along to that one as end of our holiday. I was told to shut up as we joined the M1.

Romford. 1971. FA Cup as a 14 year old attending my very first away game on an old M&D bus with a load of schoolmates. Booze smuggled on board, squeezing into a tiny stand at the side of the pitch then crapping ourselves as a few West Ham fans started a mass brawl behind us and then the joy of a winning goal and the singing all the way back to Kent. You never forget your first one!

Chelsea away, losing 5-0 was a great day out. The many times beating Millwall. Losing 5-0 at Colchester was a great sing-a-long party...

Millwall 2 1 in their green shirts, esp as I live in 'wall territory. The 3 0 was almost as good but so many of their fans left early they missed some of our fun.

Brentford away 3 0 in our promotion season 73/4

Reading away 2 1 circa '86 when they were top and miles ahead in the old League 1.

Colchester for me too, although a different game, a 3-2 win in an FA Cup replay. 2 up inside 10 minutes, 3 up by half-time, Colchester pulled 2 back near the end and we were hanging on.

My first ever away game, a Gills win, 5 goals, a bouncy terrace, and police dogs set on some lairy Colchester fans - I was hooked.

Tucking into a superb breakfast at England`s best service area - Tebay, on a beautiful, sunny, early Saturday morning during the long overnight coach ride to Carlisle United.

Luton Town away in the middle sixties. Such a 'big' side in my mind and we beat them 2-0 and are still invited into their social club My mate and me got to know the son of the manager (whoever he was!) Then on the bus home.

Romford. 1971. FA Cup as a 14 year old attending my very first away game on an old M&D bus with a load of schoolmates. Booze smuggled on board, squeezing into a tiny stand at the side of the pitch then crapping ourselves as a few West Ham fans started a mass brawl behind us and then the joy of a winning goal and the singing all the way back to Kent. You never forget your first one!

Heck I'd forgotten that one. Lucky you for a first away it was a great afternoon

Lots of good stories and I can think of literally dozens of memorable ones. Every time this question comes up I can't get past the 2-1 win at Blackburn in the championship. 4-4 v Wimbledon at Selhutst comes close.

My first away game at Walsall at their old Fellowes Park (I think). We drew 3-3, I think 81 or 82. I got a bit of grief outside from a couple of older skins (this was in my punk days), but a few Gills fans had them on their toes. Lovely fish and chips on the way home (I believe we stopped on the old kent road, but I may be wrong lol). Great day. Strangely, my oldest lad's first away game was at Walsall at the Bescot. 2001, I think. We drew 1-1 in the fa cup with Southall scoring the equaliser

Lovely fish and chips on the way home (I believe we stopped on the old kent road, but I may be wrong lol).

Back in the (pre-M25) day, mehmet, the coach (either Gills Travel Club or John Leeds` coach) nearly always stopped for a fish and chip supper in south-east London- I think it might have been a chippy on the A2 in New Cross - though i`m not certain.

Back in the (pre-M25) day, mehmet, the coach (either Gills Travel Club or John Leeds` coach) nearly always stopped for a fish and chip supper in south-east London- I think it might have been a chippy on the A2 in New Cross - though i`m not certain.

Yes sometimes the chippy with Leeds otherwise watford gap. On the long trips it would be a longer stop at a service station where the football always came out. What year(s) did you travel with John Leeds?

Promotion season (70's) , Colchester away , we won 2-0 , Brian Yeo 😀.
Over 10k in Layer Rd , probably 2k Gills.
Colchester were fighting for promotion too , and soon after beating them , we lost 4-2 at Peterborough the eventual champions.
The trip back , Ford Cortinas , Transits , 'knitted by your nan' scarves !
Anyone remember them ?