Attendances - What do they mean? | Vital Football

Attendances - What do they mean?

SaskPool

Vital Football Legend
For several years now, there has been a level of consensus among Blackpool fans that the Oystons should go. I think it's safe to say that whether you are a NAPM advocate or a reluctant fan that shuffles into Bloomfield Road on a Saturday afternoon, you want the Oystons to sell up.
In the interest of transparency, I will tell you that I put money into the Oyston coffers. I subscribe to Tangerine Player that allows me to listen to match commentary and watch videos of interviews etc. For the most part, these are things that people living on the Fylde Coast can 'enjoy' without spending a penny. Also, for the record, when I am back in Blackpool every 12-24 months, I attend a match; I'll be at a game in a few weeks from now.
Over these past several years, there has been one BFC constant in my opinion. The values and characteristics of the Oystons have not changed. Sure, they have continued to do awful things (suing fans, not investing into the club, doing nothing about Squires Gate - I could go on) but I think it is safe to say there is nothing surprising to any of us about these behaviours. It's the way they've always been.
If you subscribe to what I just said (i.e we've known about the Oystons all along), remember what has happened over the years. We made it to the Championship and then the Premier League. Heady times indeed. And what did we do? We went to Bloomfield Road and Wembley in droves even though I knew ( and I assume you knew) what the Oystons were all about. Then of course, the team lead a race to the bottom of league football. In reading this board for years now, it's my take that many on here think that we got to the Premier League in spite of the Oystons and we hit rock bottom because of them. I can't argue with this.
Which brings us to today. The question I have (and I don't have the answer) is: are we staying away from Bloomfield Road because of the Oystons' values, characteristics, and behaviours or are there other possible reasons? Again I emphasize I don't know the answer to this.
But I want to take a look at attendances for a minute. Firstly, I have no idea if the Oystons are 'faking' this year's published attendance records or not. The 'story' I'm telling myself is I don't know. Take a look at a couple of games. On March 4th, we played Morecambe and the published attendance was 3453. We also know that the Shrimps brought about 1500 supporters with them. Now take a look at yesterday against Hartlepool. The published number was 5374. Again, according to Radio Lancashire, the Monkey Hangers brought about 1500 with them. So why an increase of about 2000 fans in attendance. There are a couple of possible reasons. Firstly, Blackpool were only charging five pounds to get in and secondly the team is playing well and taking a run at the playoffs.
Again, I don't know why there was a spike in yesterday's attendance. But let me posit a possibility. It is possible that what happens on the pitch trumps our thoughts about the Oystons. I know, two games in Division Two in March prove nothing. But we do have form. When we were riding high, we gladly filled Bloomfield Road and most of Wembley.
For what it's worth.............

An interesting and thought provoking post Sask. For me the Oystons crossed a line when they started to sue fans for expressing genuine and heartfelt concern about their stewardship and bridges were burnt with provocative gestures involving statues and cash cows. I watch Pool when I can without giving the Oystons a penny. It makes for painful decisions at times and it will be harder still if I am faced with missing a game at Wembley but it is the strongest thing I can do to express my feelings.

It means the Oystains lie, but that's no surprise to anyone.

Once of a day the ground would be packed out and the attendance was given as an unbelievably low figure, no doubt saving on tax, policing, staff etc.

Nowadays it's t'other way round, face saving to try to con anyone daft enough to believe it that all is well.

Mind you doffer would prefer to believe the vermin family over a club legend. That says a lot about him.

I think he has answered a lot of his own questions. I think there will be a slight increase in gates while the team are performing well, because some people choose to ignore how bad the Oyston's are unfortunately. The Oyston's policies are abysmal, always have been and always will be. One things for sure, Blackpool FC will no where near reach its full potential whilst they remain at the helm. Running a club with Jimmy Armfield type 1960s ideas in 2017 is not the way forward. Sadly, the club is way behind the times and on a road to nowhere. Sorry for the pessimism, but I prefer to be in the real World and see things as they are.

Attendances mean those that are in the ground have chosen to go, simple as that.
:nope:

nodrogaty - 27/3/2017 12:55

I think he has answered a lot of his own questions. I think there will be a slight increase in gates while the team are performing well, because some people choose to ignore how bad the Oyston's are unfortunately. The Oyston's policies are abysmal, always have been and always will be. One things for sure, Blackpool FC will no where near reach its full potential whilst they remain at the helm. Running a club with Jimmy Armfield type 1960s ideas in 2017 is not the way forward. Sadly, the club is way behind the times and on a road to nowhere. Sorry for the pessimism, but I prefer to be in the real World and see things as they are.

Attendances mean those that are in the ground have chosen to go, simple as that.
:nope:
Your last sentence says it all,and being on a winning run helps...

Let us not forget the actual attendance is not necessarily the same as the declared attendance as unused freebies and season tickets might be included in the official figures. I guess the acid test is how the actual figures compare with those when we last at this level. Can anybody come up with figures for comparison?

Bear1951 - 26/3/2017 19:43

Let us not forget the actual attendance is not necessarily the same as the declared attendance as unused freebies and season tickets might be included in the official figures. I guess the acid test is how the actual figures compare with those when we last at this level. Can anybody come up with figures for comparison?

Here is a website: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/blap.htm

Average attendance when we were in Division 4:

1982 4224
1983 3002
1984 3936
1985 4907
1991 4059
1992 4333
2001 4457

Bear1951 - 27/3/2017 13:43

Attendance figures look very suspect I agree. I don't think it is anywhere near an average of 4000 to be honest. Looking at the stands when the match is on suggests to me there's barely 2000 in attendance most home games.

Considering the boost to the fan base during our meteoric rise the Oystons have performed an almost impossible feat to bring our attendances down so low. :nope:

Thanks for that research Sask. :hello:

Nodrogaty you for me make the most pertinent points, people are choosing to put themselves before what the vile lot have/are done/doing.

Also very true that the club will always under achieve with the vermin in place.

I cannot support them in any way any longer. 'Tis true they've always been despicable. But the destruction of ordinary fan's lives is unforgivable, Not to mention their on-going war winding up the rest of us.

There are teams down there like Orient struggling to make ends meet. Without doubt and with no lack of ambition, they would have grabbed the opportunity with a windfall like we had. We were fed the same old bullshit from the Oyston's when we were in the Prem, " we don't want to do a Portsmouth or a Leeds" etc, like a worn out record. With no more excuses they were eventually found out and that is why we are here today. That money could and should have been the catalyst for larger gates.

That squad we had ought at least to have been maintained as a yoyo side without investing more than half of the windfall.

Charlie wanted away in January to further his career nothing wrong with that,and we failed to persuade Vaughan to stay so that was two away.But I take your point opportunity missed.

premier 1 - 28/3/2017 08:44

Charlie wanted away in January to further his career nothing wrong with that,and we failed to persuade Vaughan to stay so that was two away.But I take your point opportunity missed.

I remember your hero's offering Robbie Fowler £90 a week or something along those lines. If that's anything to go off, its no wonder they wanted away. Like I say, daft 1960 s way of trying to run a club. What can you expect ? :argh:

premier 1 - 28/3/2017 08:44

Revisionist history. Good contracts could and should have been negotiated far earlier. Think also of the players like Puncheon we could have signed for peanuts. Koko could have made far more money from Holloway developing and selling players had he had a miniscule of business acumen. Koko is an appalling football chairman but probably an even worse businessman. On average it takes 3 generations to dissipate a family fortune but Koko isn't average. :grins:

I wrote a reply to this a couple of days ago but for some reason it didn't post...

My thoughts are this; I believe there are two main factors at play here - the Oystons and the league performance (I equate one to each other, but never mind). When we reached the heady days of the Premier League there were literally thousands and thousands of so-called Pool fans who came out of the woodwork to enjoy the trip DESPITE the Oyston presence. When we started to fall, so did those attendance figures and thousands of those 'fans' went back to their ManUre, Citeh teams -you get the picture. Yes, NAPM has had a massive effect on the attendances and I would say that at least 60% of true Pool fans are staying away due to that family. But, probably, 40% are staying away due to our league position. I was going to look at the attendances when we were last in the lower echelons but Sask beat me to it, but it does prove a point; when we're down, our attendances are down and this is only natural for 'glory fans' whether the Oystons are in charge or not.
If I was in the UK, I probably wouldn't attend due to the Oystons as I used to be among the 3-4,000 fans who DID attend way back when. On principal, due to their suing of fans would be my primary reason.....

My tuppence worth....

Many being those that have morals and principles by being selfless instead of selfish. Its beyond me why and how the mushrooms are so ignorant and heartless. :anger:

BobHatton - 28/3/2017 10:59

I wrote a reply to this a couple of days ago but for some reason it didn't post...

My thoughts are this; I believe there are two main factors at play here - the Oystons and the league performance (I equate one to each other, but never mind). When we reached the heady days of the Premier League there were literally thousands and thousands of so-called Pool fans who came out of the woodwork to enjoy the trip DESPITE the Oyston presence. When we started to fall, so did those attendance figures and thousands of those 'fans' went back to their ManUre, Citeh teams -you get the picture. Yes, NAPM has had a massive effect on the attendances and I would say that at least 60% of true Pool fans are staying away due to that family. But, probably, 40% are staying away due to our league position. I was going to look at the attendances when we were last in the lower echelons but Sask beat me to it, but it does prove a point; when we're down, our attendances are down and this is only natural for 'glory fans' whether the Oystons are in charge or not.
If I was in the UK, I probably wouldn't attend due to the Oystons as I used to be among the 3-4,000 fans who DID attend way back when. On principal, due to their suing of fans would be my primary reason.....

My tuppence worth....

Bob, I think there are more than 60% of what you would term proper fans staying away. I hardly know of any of my group of friends, colleagues, acquaintances and folk I know from other groups who still go. And I'm talking them that previously went when we were shit.

We were attracting 6,000ish when we were last doing OK in the 4th division. Read through the bullshit and there are circa 1,000 to 1,500 scabs still attending.

And that is why Oystain Football Company are losing money like nobody's business! :grins: