Atletico Madrid v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 13th April 2022 - KO. 20:00 - BST. Preview and MDT | Page 2 | Vital Football

Atletico Madrid v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 13th April 2022 - KO. 20:00 - BST. Preview and MDT

I am sure Pep would dearly like to not play Ruben. 🤞🏻 In fact I wouldn’t put him on even for the sake of getting some minutes under his belt if we were winning the tie by a large margin as I would fear the sort of petulant & dangerous challenges that Simeone’s mob are only too capable of delivering out of spite.

he would love to be 3 nil up on the night to get some minutes into his legs

Fernandinho preview 🗣
The City captain has looked ahead to tonight's clash:
"We have to focus on the game, play our football and hurt them with the ball. It will be a hostile environment but we have to be ready for that.
"In the Champions League knock-out stages, anything can happen. It will be really important to concentrate on the match.
"It will be hard for us playing in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and they defend so well. They put players behind the ball. With it being 1-0 maybe it will be different there - we have to be ready to defend and attack.
"We have been in this position playing the same way for the last four, five years, all the time we end the season fighting for two, three even four competitions and I hope we have chances to win trophies.
"The Final [last year] hurt everyone in the club - it was so hard for us., in the meantime we were so proud because to achieve this and play a Champions League Final and the way we played last season. But we have a chance to go again."

Andy Morrison on Ilkay Gundogan 🗣
Could City's number eight be the hero tonight? Andy Morrison thinks he's more than capable 👇
"I think he is the best at the Club for arriving late in the box, his run timing is exceptional.
"I thought at times on Sunday we weren’t gambling with someone getting in there.
"The amount of goals he has scored, getting in between the centre-backs, he's like a centre-forward."

100 not out 👏
Tonight's clash will bring about a century of appearances in the Champions League, excluding qualifiers.
We've won 55 of our 99 matches so far, with only Real Madrid having claimed victory more regularly in the same amount of matches (57).
With 201 goals to our name, should we find the net at least two times at the Wanda Metropolitano then we'll have scored more than any other side in their first 100 games in the competition.

Commentary By George Kelsey @
19:45
"One of the toughest tests in European football"
John Edwards is in position at the Wanda Metropolitano tonight 👇
"We're 15 minutes away from kick-off here on a mild night in the Spanish capital and the atmosphere is slowly building ahead of the third instalment of this run of four pivotal games for City.
"Kevin De Bruyne's first leg goal has given us a great platform, but Pep Guardiola's men will come here knowing this is one of the toughest tests in European football.
"They'll be backed by our brilliant travelling support who are gradually filling the away end up in the third tier.
"At the opposite end, the section behind the Atleti goal is, quite literally, bouncing.
"Last year's quarter-final win over Borussia Dortmund felt like a real landmark moment for Guardiola's side and they'll be desperate to repeat the trick tonight."

Manchester City

Ederson, Walker Stones Laporte Cancelo
Gundogan(C) Rodri, De Bruyne
Bernardo, Mahrez, Foden

Subs Steffen, Carson, Dias, Ake. Sterling, Grealish. Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Delap, Edozie, McAtee, Lavia

Pep Guardiola speaking to BT Sport 🗣
On resting Raheem Sterling: "Raheem has the ability to recover in one day, he could play every two days, he’s mature and his fitness is out of this world. It’s just my decision with how they defend and based on the players we have."
On Atletico tactics: "They will press higher, I don’t know how long beginning for sure to create a good environment, who knows, especially second half everyone will be watching the result and what we need to qualify. There will be moments, always they have done it in the Champions League."
On dealing with Atletico’s hostility and aggression: "There’s a referee there for these situations."