Atletico Madrid v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 13th April 2022 - KO. 20:00 - BST. Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Atletico Madrid v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 13th April 2022 - KO. 20:00 - BST. Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more" - Shakespeare
The cards are wiped clean after this round but we have two players who have to stay clear of the Referees top pocket, but all referees these days flash these things at the drop of a hat. João Cancelo and Kevin De Bruyne are walking the tightrope for 90 minutes. Can City get through to another semi fin al and increase our coefficient? Will Atletico play some rough stuff, they did towards the end of the game, I assume trying to provoke some of our lads into retaliation.
The City Official Site Matchday Centre will feature Paul Dickov and Darrius Vassell
live in the studio from 18:45 offering a City-centric build-up to proceedings, while you can also follow live audio commentary from kick-off (see www.mancity.com) whilst Alistair Mann will be on commentary on City+ for those who cannot get to view the game on the television.

City Team News
Pep Guardiola has given us an update on the current players who are not available for this match and reports that Ruben Dias had his first training session but would be in Spain tomorrow. Out is Cole Palmer

Pep's Picks
Ederson
Walker Stones Laporte Cancelo
Rodri, Gundogan De Bruyne
Foden Grealish Bernardo

Match Officials
Referee

250014712.jpg
Daniel Siebert GER (who averages 3 cards a game in the Champions League)
Assistant referees Jan Seidel GER, Rafael Foltyn GER
Video Assistant Referee Marco Fritz GER
Assistant Video Assistant Referee Christian Dingert GER
Fourth official Felix Zwayer GER

Next
FA Cup Semi Final
Saturday 16th April 22 15:30 BST
Wembley Stadium (and no trains)

Last edited:
A second-half penalty was enough to send Atlético to defeat at Mallorca in the Spanish Liga on Saturday as Diego Simeone's men continue to be involved in a tight race for a top-four finish.

In the Press conference one of the reports said to Pep that Fernandinho has told him that he is leaving at the end of the season, Pep was shocked at this news as he said he was going to discuss this at the end of the season

In the Press conference one of the reports said to Pep that Fernandinho has told him that he is leaving at the end of the season, Pep was shocked at this news as he said he was going to discuss this at the end of the season
That would be a shame. I suspect even Fernandinho expected more game time than he has seen (as did I).

That would be a shame. I suspect even Fernandinho expected more game time than he has seen (as did I).

That is exactly what he wanted and he is to return to Brazil and play for someone there, he will be just as big as loss as Kompany purely for his off field rapport with the players.

To date - 373 appearances in all comps, 258 Premier League, 25 goals in total, over 9 seasons, these of course could rise before the season is over and the end of an era

That is exactly what he wanted and he is to return to Brazil and play for someone there, he will be just as big as loss as Kompany purely for his off field rapport with the players.

To date - 373 appearances in all comps, 258 Premier League, 25 goals in total, over 9 seasons, these of course could rise before the season is over and the end of an era
He has been very much a key member of the leadership group and will be a miss for sure.

PEP GUARDIOLA PREVIEW
Pep Guardiola has revealed Ruben Dias will travel with the squad to Madrid ahead of the quarter-final second leg against Atleti on Wednesday evening.
The Portuguese skipper has missed the past six weeks with injury but returned to training on Monday.
The City boss was keen to point out that Dias is unlikely to start against Atletico Madrid given his lack of full training and game time.
There was also encouraging news regarding Cole Palmer who has missed several weeks with a foot injury.
Guardiola says the youngster is now on the verge of a return, saying: “He is much, much better but I don't think he will travel.
Atletico v City: Kick-off time, team news and TV information (mancity.com)

Much may depend on whether Pep wants Foden on the pitch as a starter or finisher. If the latter then I can see Rodney starting on the right. Or Sterling in the middle. ……who am I trying to kid?

I have NO clue who Pep will start with :ROFLMAO:

All I do know is that a) everyone needs to start fully switched on & b) they better have taken a course in how to keep cool when having lumps kicked out of you as I expect the first sh*t tackle from an Atletico player to occur inside the first 5 minutes.

Manchester City

Ederson, Walker Stones Laporte Cancelo
Gundogan(C) Rodri, De Bruyne
Bernardo, Mahrez, Foden

Subs Steffen, Carson, Dias, Ake. Sterling, Grealish. Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Delap, Edozie, McAtee, Lavia

Last edited:
So Ruben makes the bench and Gundogan comes in to booster the Central midfield
I am sure Pep would dearly like to not play Ruben. 🤞🏻 In fact I wouldn’t put him on even for the sake of getting some minutes under his belt if we were winning the tie by a large margin as I would fear the sort of petulant & dangerous challenges that Simeone’s mob are only too capable of delivering out of spite.

Trevor Sinclair's team news reaction 🗣
"It's a strong, well balanced side. Great to see Kevin De Bruyne play again.
"Riyad Mahrez is a big game player as well, so I'm glad to see him in there.
"Surprised not to see Grealish after he drew fouls in the last match, but no matter how Pep rotates it will be strong."