Aston Villa vs Liverpool Match Thread Tuesday 10th May 8pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Liverpool Match Thread Tuesday 10th May 8pm

Villan57

Alert Team
In the game of the season, Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa take on Steven Gerrard's Liverpool, will he scupper their title hopes?
Beat them and we hand city the title or as good as

This is going to be an interesting game. They'll be fired up for it but I think SG will get our players up for this! Massive home game for us, we've looked better in recent weeks, surely Buendia can't be dropped for this one? We'll need his pressing over Coutinhos here unless he's going to try put them both in. Orrrrr will we hear the excuse of he's being 'rested'?

I know one thing I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's telling our lads how to beat the team he wants them to emulate, bit of a hard sell.
Whatever side he picks we'll end up camping in our own box so best get those who can tackle and battle on the pitch and one that can send Watkins away one one one with the keeper .
Perhaps we'll go gungho and beat them 7-2 again now that would impress me

We're at home I want us taking the game to them and having a go and not just camping on our own 18 yard line. We did that at their place and it didn't work and the inevitable almost gift of a win came their way. Time for our manager to show he can compete with the top 8 teams and their managers. If he can start against this lot when it matters so much to them, then so be it.

Get at them down our left. Alexander-Arnold looks great going forward but his defending is a bit iffy. Hit the space behind him when he goes forward, Watkins across to Ings and Bob’s your uncle.

Get at them down our left. Alexander-Arnold looks great going forward but his defending is a bit iffy. Hit the space behind him when he goes forward, Watkins across to Ings and Bob’s your uncle.

And ironically, as its the Dippers thread, often also your father and brother in Liverpool.

I know one thing I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's telling our lads how to beat the team he wants them to emulate, bit of a hard sell.
Whatever side he picks we'll end up camping in our own box so best get those who can tackle and battle on the pitch and one that can send Watkins away one one one with the keeper .
Perhaps we'll go gungho and beat them 7-2 again now that would impress me
I would settle for 6-1.

I’d expect there to be a couple of changes on Tuesday. 442 worked well against Burnley but I’m not convinced it would against Liverpool. I’m expecting us to be far more compact - not sure which striker he would drop as they’ve both scored in their last 2 outings.

If he's fit enough I'd be very tempted to bring in Nakamba to play alongside Chambers, probably in place of Luiz as McGinn offers us more drive.
I'd still play 2 up top to keep they're defence on their toes

reckon he'll put PC back in for this -
so buendia or Ings out.

hopefully we don't piss about at the back as we'll gift them if we do. (and they really don't need a helping hand)

Gerrard give us wave , Gerrard Gerrard gives us a wave .

Ahem…. no Stevie G that’s the Doug Ellis Stand it was the Holte End singing .

We haven’t a hope, Liverpool’s title dreams evaporate completely without a win here. I expect them to relentlessly hit us wave after wave until the result is beyond doubt. If we were to get out this 2-0 I’d probably take it.

We haven’t a hope, Liverpool’s title dreams evaporate completely without a win here. I expect them to relentlessly hit us wave after wave until the result is beyond doubt. If we were to get out this 2-0 I’d probably take it.

Yes, they'll be going for the 4/5 goal win to put them top, this is a test not only for the villa but for Gerrard. Frank engineered a win for Everton Vs Chelsea but that was needs must. Us beating Liverpool finishes their title hopes

They'll be feeling the pressure, needing a big win where as we should be fairly relaxed. Keep things tight,get stuck in early doors and that pressure will mount. Can't really see a win but would be happy with a battling draw

Heart says, as ever , we might just do something. Head says it will be more akin to Spurs at home. 2 wins against two dreadful teams who with the resources and investment we have had let’s face it we should be beating all day long. And let’s not forget the Norwich game was awful . Best I can do is a glimmer that their draw against spuds is a sign that it’s all catching up. Which is pissing in the wind really as spuds are not exactly poor and can beat anyone on their day.

Cliche alert. Games against the dippers won’t define our season. It’s not beating Brentford or Watford this season that have . :lol:

Last edited:
This is going to be an interesting game. They'll be fired up for it but I think SG will get our players up for this! Massive home game for us, we've looked better in recent weeks, surely Buendia can't be dropped for this one? We'll need his pressing over Coutinhos here unless he's going to try put them both in. Orrrrr will we hear the excuse of he's being 'rested'?

I wouldn't bet on that.

In all likelihood they will batter us. They are playing for everything, we're not playing for much, I kind of expect one or two of our better performers against Burnley to be dropped as well.