Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30 | Page 31 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30

Yep amazes me he only has to make one bad pass and someone will say he can't pass. Yet he very rarely gives the ball away and he's not afraid to have the ball anywhere on the field
Well because that "one bad pass" is usually the kind that may as well be a hand grenade rolled into our 12-yard box.

However, Watford aside, Marv's passing has been notably better so far this season when on the pitch.

You’re all wrong, Villa we’re shite and Everton, very unlucky. The only good thing about the whole game was the magnificent Villa Park crowd…..well played ladies and gents who attended, I could hear every chant and had a wonderful sing-a-long in the comfort of my armchair.

#smithout
#crowdin
👍

Forgot to say yesterday.
One player that really really impressed me yesterday.... .
Nakamba.
Was a little worried when SJM went off and he came on. But he didn't put a foot wrong. Looked skillful and comfortable on the ball and played some great football.

I love Nakamba. He is indeed marvelous. I feel more confident about the team's defensive abilities when he is in there instead of Luiz. Even if Nakamba is outrun by another team's player, he can still dispossess him by putting a tackle in. I don't think I have ever seen a tackle from Luiz ever as a DM. With Luiz as soon as you see him struggling to keep up with another team's player, you can bet your bottom dollar that he will pull him back or down by using his hands and commit a foul.

Last edited:
Bailey had so much space and that side of the pitch and he is so rapid even as Cash was taking the throw in I thought it we manage to pump it down the left wing we'll score here. But yes credit to Ings for actually having the vision to pull it off - certainly easier to see stuff like that from the upper Holte, not so much in the middle of the pitch with all the other players around him, and then his pass was perfectly hit too. Great play by Ings and also Bailey for getting into that position.

We must not forget the most difficult part of executing that pass was that he hit it with the OUTSIDE of his foot which to me is a really difficult thing to do as you need to hit it perfectly well to get it to go the distance it did and then not spin back too much once it bounces the first time.

We must not forget the most difficult part of executing that pass was that he hit it with the OUTSIDE of his foot which to me is a really difficult thing to do as you need to hit it perfectly well to get it to go the distance it did and then not spin back too much once it bounces the first time.

Tried to score one in similar fashion and wasn't far off either, I knew he was good, but he's even better than I thought on early evidence of his time here!

I love Nakamba. He is indeed marvelous. I feel more confident about the team's defensive abilities when he is in there instead of Luiz. Even if Nakamba is outrun by another team's player, he can still dispossess him by putting a tackle in. I don't think I have ever seen a tackle from Luiz ever as a DM. With Luiz as soon as you see him struggling to keep up with another team's player, you can bet your bottom dollar that he will pull him back or down by using his hands and commit a foul.

Nakamba > Luiz as a DM all day long for me.

We've got new flair players in buendia, Bailey and Bert - a tough tackling CM pairing of SJM and Nakamba to break up play is the ideal balance for those guys imo.

There's a REALLY good team here, DS just needs to make what to me looks to be pretty obvious decisions:

-----‐‐‐------------- Martinez

Cash ------ Konsa ------ Mings ------- Young

Buendia ---- Nakamba ---- SJM ---- Bailey

------------------ Ings ------------- Watkins

That side has to be capable of at least 8th place, surely?

Nakamba > Luiz as a DM all day long for me.

We've got new flair players in buendia, Bailey and Bert - a tough tackling CM pairing of SJM and Nakamba to break up play is the ideal balance for those guys imo.

There's a REALLY good team here, DS just needs to make what to me looks to be pretty obvious decisions:

-----‐‐‐------------- Martinez

Cash ------ Konsa ------ Mings ------- Young

Buendia ---- Nakamba ---- SJM ---- Bailey

------------------ Ings ------------- Watkins

That side has to be capable of at least 8th place, surely?

I would put Buendia where SJM is. Put Bailey on the right and Ramsey on the left.

Evening guys, just returned from holiday. Managed to avoid the result and just watched the game. Thought I would post my views before reading the thread:

1. We looked uncomfortable and disjointed before the first goal went in

2. We must have lost heart as suddenly we really upped our game after the 1st goal.

3. Target poor - surely Ashley Young should have been on at half time.

4. When McGinn came off, why not put Buendia on? Surely we needed some creativity at that point.

5. Louis was crap again.

6. Should have replaced McGinn with Buendia and Louiz with Nakamba.

7. Watkins and Ings not working as a front two.

8. 2 quality wingers sat on the bench - Dean you have to change the set up to accommodate Traore and Bailey.

9. Smith too late in changing things again

10. Over the friggin moon with the final result.

Now I can read through everybody's comments and see what they thought.

UtV
There's still a lot to work on completely agree, we mustn't think this result signals anything but a much needed 3 points. All about consistency and that second half setting a benchmark in terms of effort, application, concentration and execution. The top teams achieve it week in week out , that's what we must strive to

Just watched the game back on Sky.

The commentator mentioned several times the noise in the second half.

That was something special.
Coverage over here had Lee Dixon as co-commentator. He was non-stop with the praise regarding the noise and atmosphere after we scored. Said at one point he took his headset off and couldn't hear himself think and advised the other commentator to keep his headset on if he didn't want to go deaf.

Well because that "one bad pass" is usually the kind that may as well be a hand grenade rolled into our 12-yard box.

However, Watford aside, Marv's passing has been notably better so far this season when on the pitch.
I don't think it's is any better, which I mean as a compliment. He never has and never will be a prime Pirlo but he has always been a statistically decent passer. He plays the simple ball and the trick is to get players a bit closer to him rather than forcing him into more difficult passes.

He will play the odd clanger but a lot of players in his position do that too. Bottom line for me is that he's a decent enough passer for his position, his 'lack of ability' in this department is often overstated on here and to me he looks the same as he always has done for us.

Last edited:
I don't think it's is any better, which I mean as a compliment. He never has and never will be a prime Pirlo but he has always been a statistically decent passer. He plays the simple ball and the trick is to get players a bit closer to him rather than forcing him into more difficult passes.

He will play the odd clanger but a lot of players in his position do that too. Bottom line me is that he's a decent enough passer for his position, his 'lack of ability' in this department is often overstated on here and to me he looks the same as he always has done for us.
Stats-wise, yes he's always been solid because he's been playing 5 yard passes and mostly to our own players, but I think some of his longer passing has been much improved, notably out to the wings from deep.

His class in protection and covering I don't think can be denied by anyone, and I really hope his passing keeps getting better as he's a defensive game-changer when we need to shore things up.