Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 37 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky

I don’t think he has looked comfortable on the ball last few games. In fact I think he has been generally crap. Not holding onto the ball when we need, first touch poor and getting bullied and spending alot of the time bouncing off a defender and falling over.

I just don't see a CF, I see a decent forward player, who works as hard as anyone, I don't see this world-beating CF. I see a Marcus Rashford type player

I was being my usual “boring” sarcastic self. I don’t blame you for not seeing what we “anti-dean” guys see as all you keep looking at is the table and ignoring other problems .

I must do better obviously...I'm clearly far too supportive.... but to say all I do ( and presumably others who dare to be a bit more positive)) is 'look at the table' is factually incorrect.

Last edited:
Agree performances have deteriorated but prefer to enjoy the fact that we’ve got the points in the bag rather than worrying about those we’ve lost. Give me this season to last in terms of points and overall performances any day of the week. The season as I’ve said before will be judged on 38 games, not the last 10/11.Mid table finish this season = clear progress despite the peaks and trough. Another point tonight towards achieving that.
I agree with this Langoe66. We have made progress this season - probably more than any of us could have honestly expected. We are not world beaters yet, but we are showing the green shoots of growth - perhaps not fast enough for some but they are there if you look for them. Watkins continues to develop and he will be a real threat next season and Konsa looks awesome - both from the Championship and both signed twice by Smith. He deserves credit for that at least. Sanson looked quite assured until he took a knock, Targett is getting better all the time and Cash was a steal for what we paid. Marv and Luis are getting there and it will be make or break for them in the summer I suspect. Emi - nothing else needs saying as he is just Emi. A few that were with us in the Championship may move on - Hourihane already gone, AEG perhaps and McGinn is under scrutiny. Youngsters coming into the squad and getting minutes or matchday experience and this is good for the future. The owners will invest again in the summer and we will strengthen for sure and it seems like other clubs - Wolves for example - are going to see a squeeze on spending.
All in all the last couple of games have been disappointing but that is down to what we have achieved so far this season. It is not a time to be saying that DS isn't up to it or the squad are crap - it is a time to reflect and see how far we have come. The attached shows where we were last season after 26 games and where we are now.
Villa last season this season.jpgThe rest of the season will have more ups and downs, but we should just enjoy the ride and look forward to next season and some huge games with crowds at the mother of all stadiums.

I must do better obviously...I'm clearly far too supportive.... but to say all I do ( and presumably others who dare to be a bit more positive)) is 'look at the table' is factually incorrect.

We can all see the positive things but if we focus on those and ignore the negatives we won't progress. I also understand in this world we live in general we are being trained to think of positives. I'm not talking just football, my mind has spent its life accepting the good as a norm and making sure it gets even better. Continuous improvement.

I get we beat Liverpool 7-2 in the greatest league game never seen at Villa Park but we've more recently lost to the bottom of the league Sheffield Utd

Football to me is the same ie I'm happy we are now a PL club again. I'm happy we are higher up the league but I also feel we could be higher and that will never change until we win the league. I think that makes me pretty darn positive and not content with midtable mediocrity.

I was happy with a point yesterday in the end, that lasted all of 30 seconds and then my head went into how can we improve mode .

72 mins the commenter said Davis was going to come on for trez 77 mins he comes on wtf takes so long
Correct, texted the same to my brother.
He ended up having about the same game time as he did last week.
He was fannying about without his shirt on for about three minutes, and then we decided we would take our throw in before making the substitution.
Pleased we wernt allowed in for that one yesterday.

We are clearly going through our bad patch of the season. The positive is even when we are going through a bad patch we are still picking up some points along the way.

I think losing Grealish of course affects big time. Would with any side with their best player. Especially if it's one who's exceptionally good. You can go through most of the teams in the League except probably City and it's the same for them.

To be on 40 points with 12 games left to play is a great achievement. Next target is to get to 50+ which we haven't done since 2009-2010. It also allows us then a summer without total chaos and allows us to add players in key areas to improve us again. We can see where we need further quality. Full back competition, centre half competition I'd argue as Engels I don't think is fancied. Wing is the one area I think we need to spend big- free up Jack to move into the middle as we won't be signing Barkley. And a striker to compete with Watkins, I'm not sure Wesley is going to do that.

As for yesterday, I think the first half was our best 45 for a while. Watkins was desperately unlucky, Konsa probably should have scored. Wing positions was an issue as both of them just non-existent. Sanson looked good and I thought McGinn made more of an impact further up the field. The defence was colossal again with Martinez behind them. Must give them so much confidence knowing he is behind them.

Onto the next.

The last 6 matches we’ve scored 3 goals, second worst in the league. That’s the form I’m concerned about taking into next season not the points in the league table. Yes, we’ve stopped letting in so many but now we don’t like like scoring. And by the way, Sheff Utd are the only team that’s scored fewer in that period, 2 - and one of those was against us. We have better players now and many agree that Martinez is a major factor in the clean sheets.

Well, watching MOTD last night, I did happen to notice Leicester City. They played a 4-4-2 with Ieanacho and Vardy up front. Now I do seem to note, Leicester aren't doing so badly.

They played 3 at the back and 2 wing backs so definitely wasn’t 442. I’m not against throwing another striker on if we are chasing the game and Sheffield United away was the perfect time to do so. But doing it yesterday would have played into Wolves hands.
They were on top but couldn’t break us down from open play. Putting 2 up front would have weakened us defensively. The poor form of the forward players on the pitch (except Watkins) is the bigger problem for us

At least we are getting a very clear picture of what's needed over the summer window .
A RB to cover for Cash
Traore should be a bit part player only
Trezeguet can go
Barkley can go
Ghazi is a back up player at best
We need another top class striker
We need more quality in midfield at the end of the day, a better right winger, and quality to come to replace Barkley. Another centre mid would also be a good idea as well.

'Top class striker' will not happen as Smith doesn't play two up top and we're not a club to have a quality striker sitting on the bench.

72 mins the commenter said Davis was going to come on for trez 77 mins he comes on wtf takes so long
It did take an age but from memory we were defending a few set pieces at the time so I guess they didn’t want to disrupt our concentration

They played 3 at the back and 2 wing backs so definitely wasn’t 442. I’m not against throwing another striker on if we are chasing the game and Sheffield United away was the perfect time to do so. But doing it yesterday would have played into Wolves hands.
They were on top but couldn’t break us down from open play. Putting 2 up front would have weakened us defensively. The poor form of the forward players on the pitch (except Watkins) is the bigger problem for us
The commentator said they'd gone to a 4 as they pressed for the equaliser, which they duly got and then the late winner

I know its blindingly obvious, but in a lot of our recent games Ollie is out wide left cutting in, or crossing for others.
He scores his goals in and around the six yard box.
Cant blame the Jack factor on the lack of supply either because the last half a dozen games Jack played he was very heavily marked and fairly ineffectual.
Even in those game when Jack was playing he was hitting Ollie with wide left balls played from the middle of our half of the pitch, that find Ollie isolated and having to hold up.
Badly need someone wide to free Ollie up to get into those positions between the opposition central defenders where he is most dangerous, when arriving late into the box he is difficult to mark.
Others have made the point we havent, in our recent games got sufficient bodies in the box, and to a certain extent its a numbers game in there, if you have got the numbers the knockdowns, goalkeeper errors, defensive errors have statistically a bigger chance of finding one of our players.
As it is we usually have two at most, fruequently a defender.
Dont fancy us at Newcastle if we cant come up with a different approach on Friday.

Last edited:
The commentator said they'd gone to a 4 as they pressed for the equaliser, which they duly got and then the late winner

I didn’t spot that, but they were on top at that point anyway. If we had moved into that shape yesterday I think Wolves would have cut right through us. Depends on the opposition and game situation. Every time we go on a bad run of results some start shouting we should be playing 442. Our midfield isn’t right for that IMO

I know its blindingly obvious, but in a lot of our recent games Ollie is out wide left cutting in, or crossing for others.
He scores his goals in and around the six yard box.
Cant blame the Jack factor on the lack of supply either because the last half a dozen games Jack played he was very heavily marked and fairly ineffectual.
Even in those game when Jack was playing he was hitting Ollie with wide left balls played from the middle of our half of the pitch, that find Ollie isolated and having to hold up.
Badly need someone wide to free Ollie up to get into those positions between the opposition central defenders where he is most dangerous, when arriving late into the box he is difficult to mark.
Others have made the point we havent, in our recent games got sufficient bodies in the box, and to a certain extent its a numbers game in there, if you have got the numbers the knockdowns, goalkeeper errors, defensive errors have statistically a bigger chance of finding one of our players.
As it is we usually have two at most, fruequently a defender.
Dont fancy us a Newcastle if we cant come up with a different approach on Friday.

Teams have always paid close attention to Jack. Earlier in the season Barkley was playing like the attacking midfielder we’ve been crying out for and Bert was in a purple patch. For one reason or another they’ve all had a downturn in form and now forcing Ollie to create his own chances

I didn’t spot that, but they were on top at that point anyway. If we had moved into that shape yesterday I think Wolves would have cut right through us. Depends on the opposition and game situation. Every time we go on a bad run of results some start shouting we should be playing 442. Our midfield isn’t right for that IMO

I didn't spot it either mate just picked up on the comment. Sometimes there is no point in our wingers as they are very hit and miss, quite feeble and easy to shut out of a game, No harm now and again playing a 4312 with some solid midfielders and not wingers. we have 2 fullbacks who cross the ball in fact target has put in more crosses from open play then either winger

Watkins is getting the same treatment as Jack now, stop him and we haven’t much left to offer. Anwar was missed yesterday because at least he’s got a bit of a brain which regrettably Trez hasn’t. We needed more from Bert but he was just a fancy dan yesterday. Dean plays Jack forward left so we need our next best creative midfielder in that role if we’re continuing with the same system. God knows who that is... I do know who it isn’t and that’s Trez.