Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 17 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

I’m just at a loss what we’ve done in our 16 days off, Samata just dropped into Wesleys spot and expected To be our saviour (he’s played well) but it’s almost impossible to play alone up front against quality prem defenders without quality prem league CAMS around you, but Smith has persisted all season with 1 striker up on his own without any proof it works.. Smith out.

Gutted.
more stupid, simple errors costing us again, if we go down this will be why.
Some people think we are down already but we aren’t even in the relegation zone ffs

Not sure what Smith can do about the three starting centre backs taking it in turns to air kick the fucking ball. Sickener.
He can sit em down and make them watch that display at least five times. He can also get them to do the basics correctly, he could also change the formation and drop one of them. He could also enquire what the coaches are doing. He could also look in the mirror, I can’t bare to listen to his post match waffle. I’m sure he will be blaming VAR etc etc etc.

Smith's set up blew it overall IMO.

Engels is an atrocious player, started well here but it's regression to the mean at this stage and that mean level is not premier league standard.

Drinkwater is an abortion of a signing, provides no protection and is slow on the ball.

Hause is a liability as well, positioning is poor and makes bad decisions on the ball.

I cannot fathom why Nakamba didn't start, our best DM.

Targett is as weak as piss and at up to £17m diabolical 'value'.

Grealish played well, Samatta looks a really decent forward, pretty much understanding striking 101, holding the ball up well, good in the air, good one touch play and makes good runs, I cannot understand why he was subbed off for Baston who looked as useful as a chocolate tea cup when he came on and inadvertently set up a great chance for them with a terrible clearance in his own box.

Luiz was decent but is tactically suspect, El Ghazi decent and Reina for me was our MOTM, a string of vital saves and let down by the utter shite ahead of him in defence.

Do seem to be some major lapses of concentration throughout the team, just more noticeable when it's a defender. Not sure what can be done about that.

I am not sad about losing the game the way we did because that was typical Villa. This was a game I enjoyed watching as perhaps for the first time we played something like attacking football, we played aggressively, close them down, won possession of the ball and attacked their goal relentlessly. We did everything right except converting our chances better. As for our defence, we are not going to stay up with them playing like that. Samatta and Jack were our joint best players today with Luiz and Nakamba second best.

Do seem to be some major lapses of concentration throughout the team, just more noticeable when it's a defender. Not sure what can be done about that.
I’d agree to some point but the buck stops with the manager. Being bulletproof from the sack will be his undoing. He has an air of cockiness for me, with a stubbornness that is doing himself no favours. That long term contract was a shocking decision as does the football director appointment.

I am not sad about losing the game the way we did because that was typical Villa. This was a game I enjoyed watching as perhaps for the first time we played something like attacking football, we played aggressively, close them down, won possession of the ball and attacked their goal relentlessly. We did everything right except converting our chances better. As for our defence, we are not going to stay up with them playing like that. Samatta and Jack were our joint best players today with Luiz and Nakamba second best.

And all you have said is totally and utterly meaningless I'm afraid. Because we lost . And the above can happen week in and week out but it means we go down.
Plucky losers go down. I said this first match of the season ironically against Spuds. BBC sport, sky can pat us on the head, patronise us, say there there all they like . That today is why I'm losing hope rapidly.

Oh and Engels. Please dont wear a villa shirt again . That was as bad as anything I have seen for a long while.

Still in Holte car park. Good going forward (especially Samatta, El Ghazi, Jack). Central defence a total shambles. Lessons not being learned and far too many times we shoot ourselves in the foot. Given our defence I think survival is unlikely.

Not unexpected, bit of a gut-wrencher to lose in the last minute. Whatever, we go again. Southampton on Saturday is more critical.

No it's not more critical. Unless its escaped anyone's notice its mid February and we are in a relegation scrap. Every game is critical ffs. Saints lost at home yesterday . Chances of 2 loses in a row?. Today was very critical.

Reina doesnt rate a mention then?

You could actually see if we set up Bruce style not to lose we could actually sneak more wins than we do as we have that moment of quality in us that scores a goal.

They just won’t change what their beliefs are which is why we are so open and easy to play against.

I feel physically sick after that. We were the better team by a long way for the vast majority of that.

Atrocious decision making in good positions meant that we were only one up instead 3 when they get 56 ricochets directly to Alderwerelds right boot. We then get VAR'd again and then somehow contrive to throw it away at the end.

I know I'm supposed to come on here after a loss and talk about how shit everyone is and how shite Smith is and how no one cares but in my humble opinion we were the better side and deserved to win. But to quote Clint Eastwood "deservings got nothing to do with it" Fucking hell.

Samagoal looks decent. Yet......
A fcuking again I am watching us isolate a forward. When we have the ball in wide areas there is our forward alone and surrounded by defenders.

Smith. You are trying my patience now buddy.